PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy, deal or no deal?

ttowncruiser
07-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, looking to buy my first inboard ski boat and need some advice. Looking at a 1991 prostar 190 with a 351 that has 1300hrs. Has a alum intake and riser but otherwise looks stock and maintained. The seats are in good shape for their age, needs new carpet. There is a section between The pylon and The drivers seat that feels soft but everywhere else is fine from what I can tell. The radio is unwired and needs attention. The glass is slightly frosted on one side at The corner. teak is decent just needs a finishing. Now The weird. The boats exterior was painted a dark green to match The owners truck. It still looks good and was professionally done and The factory stickers were replaced. So my questions are: is this too many and begging for a rebuild? Is The soft spot a big issue? I was releaved this boat has all fiberglass stringers. Does The paint depreciate The boat? It also has a trailer in pretty good shape and a good oj prop. So The final question is, what is a fair price given its issues? Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks and happy boating

gweaver
07-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Prices will probably vary around the country, but that being said, last August I bought an 88 with a Powerslot for $3500. About 900 hours on the engine. Needed a good polish and a few mechanical things sorted. Carpet was OK, rear seat cushion vinyl was shot. Radio didn't work, but not a big issue for me. Overall I thought the boat was in decent shape and the price was good. Trailer is a tandem axle with surge brakes, but it's an 88 as well, so it has some issues, but nothing major. It's my first boat and I like to tinker, so it was worth it to me.
Some of the purists will disagree with me, but I think the paint is only an issue if it's an issue for you. If you're planning on keeping it a while and you're OK with the color, I'd say the paint is a non-issue, but that's my noob opinion.
G

Xjet2011
07-19-2012, 04:49 AM
If it runs good now and you get it for $4,000.00 you should be happy. I purchased an 86 with great interrior and 600 hours late last year for less than that. I have put 150 hours on my boat since then with absolutely no problems. When i purchased mine it had issue related to old gasoline so i was unable to test run it. All i had to do was empty the gas tank and change the fuel filter. I have not seen many older boats on the market that looked as good of a deal. However what we see on craigslist is just the asking price. Mine was purchased in orlando area. Good luck.

O2BESOHUGE
07-19-2012, 04:27 PM
There Are So Many Boats For Sale Out There...dont Jump On The First One You See! You Wouldnt Believe The Deals That Are Out There For You! Check Around First!

EVEN CHECK OUT THE MARKETPLACE HERE ON THIS BOARD! I GOT MINE FROM A MEMBER HERE AND IM GLAD I DID. EVERYTHING WAS TAKEN CARE OF METICULOUSLY! THANKS DREW!

scott023
07-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Post up some pics if you've got any... good starting point when determining condition and value.