PDA

View Full Version : General Maintenance Questions

LisaJ
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Got a 2011 Maristar 215 and need the first 50 hour service done. The problem is the dealer has had my boat for 1 1/2 weeks and no date for having it back to me because they are so busy . Is it difficult to change the fuel filter, oil filter and oil myself? Just wondering if this is something that our family can do ourselves and get our boat back in the water.

Hogwild
07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I have an older Maristar and I can't speak to that of the fuel filter, but the oil and oil filter was extremely easy. I would think that the fuel filter would be just as easy once you understand where it is located.

Thrall
07-18-2012, 06:44 PM
That's ridiculous! Week and a half and counting for an oil change??
If you can change the oil in your car, you can do it in the boat.
2011 is Ilmor right? Oil filter is right up top with a catch tray and everything.
There's several threads on here about different options to drain/pump out the old oil. It is not difficult.
Don't do the fuel filter, it is in the bottom of the tank and does not need to be replaced. 100hr intervals per MC service reccomendations, but the filter is semi useless in these boats and only comes into play when fuel level is low. If you must change it, wait at least 100hrs or longer, or just wait until the fuel pump goes out then you can change it while you're in there.
Go get your boat, stop at Pep Boys on the way home and for <$30 you can have your service done.
I'd reccomend changing out the V drive oil as well. Just to get any break in contaminants out of it.

Thrall
07-18-2012, 06:45 PM
50hrs isn't the end of the world either, especially if you had a break in oil change done at 10-20hrs and or have synthetic in it.

LisaJ
07-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I was starting to feel like I was being too demanding. But, the boat is brand new and it's July people....boating season. I want to be in the water having fun. So, looks like I'm going to try my hand at being a boat mechanic. Wish me luck! And I'll wait on the fuel filter as advised.

Lisa

Cloaked
07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Got a 2011 Maristar 215 and need the first 50 hour service done. The problem is the dealer has had my boat for 1 1/2 weeks and no date for having it back to me because they are so busy . Is it difficult to change the fuel filter, oil filter and oil myself? Just wondering if this is something that our family can do ourselves and get our boat back in the water.They are not so busy.... they are understaffed. One of the many reasons I never call upon a dealership. It's typically the same old song and dance. Do it all yourself. Easy enough.

$0.02

HDAVIS
07-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Don't care how many hours, I would never take my boat to anyone in the summer time unless you are broken down. I always do my 100hr service in mid March when necessary. Do my own oil chg. but don't do the other stuff except for impellar every year. When I bought my 96 190 I was told to do this preventative maintenance ever 100 hrs.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I was starting to feel like I was being too demanding. But, the boat is brand new and it's July people....boating season. I want to be in the water having fun. So, looks like I'm going to try my hand at being a boat mechanic. Wish me luck! And I'll wait on the fuel filter as advised.

Lisa

If you have the ilmor engine, you might want to buy the oil filter from the dealer, there's not a good reference out there for that engine, unless the dealer will give you a cross reference number so you can get one at the local auto parts store, if they give it to you could you post it up so all could know, just food for thought...

LisaJ
07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys. Funny thing is....I called yesterday to say I was picking the boat up and requesting information for doing the oil change myself and POOF....the boat was taken into the service bay. But, I will get the part #'s today and forward cross reference information. Sounds like this is simple maintenance that I can tend to myself. I'm loving and enjoying my boat and can't stand having it out of water that long!!!!

mbeach
07-19-2012, 10:34 AM
whenever i need service that i can't or am unwilling to do, i make an appointment with bay area water sports (baws) in land o' lakes, fla, and haul my boat down. they schedule me for their first appointment of the day and i am there when the gates open. they finish me in time to drive back to lake house on same day. so, would always make an appointment so they can take you without having to leave boat. hope this helps.