PDA

View Full Version : 1999 prostar 205 oil pan leak

broknbonz33
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
my oil pan is leaking i believe somewhere around the drain plug or at the 90 where the hose and hose clamp. The boat is new to me. It has spent some of its life in saltwater but only has 191 hours. It is so close to the bottom of the boat that I cant really see where the oil leak is coming from. Anyone have any suggestions,thoughts, would be great. Thanks in advance

wakescene
07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
my oil pan is leaking i believe somewhere around the drain plug or at the 90 where the hose and hose clamp. The boat is new to me. It has spent some of its life in saltwater but only has 191 hours. It is so close to the bottom of the boat that I cant really see where the oil leak is coming from. Anyone have any suggestions,thoughts, would be great. Thanks in advance

I speak from experience that you might be looking at a rusted pan, not just a leaky drain tube. If the boat has seen saltwater, I got a C-note that the pan is shot.

Get a small mirror, and a couple of shop lights and a bunch of paper towels. Get down next to the motor and clean up the oil pan really good. Then wait! Use the mirror to better view the underside of the pan and see where it's leaking. The OEM is a steel pan that is at best covered in a paint that is just paint...not really a good layer of protection from the moisture. The weld around the drain plug fitting is a weak spot and notorious for rusting out in many many boats.

The ONLY way to fix this is to pull the motor and replace the pan. I did this a few years back, it's not a pretty job, but it provides you the opportunity to to update, fix, clean a bunch of stuff that you might not otherwise.

For now, you can try some marine-tex to seal the leak, or some other type of putty/epoxy for marine use. That's what I did in early July 2008, no more leak and used the boat the rest of the summer. I ended up pulling the motor the following Feb 2009.

I have the LTR motor and bought a new pan and gasket from Skidim. I took a bunch of pics if you want further info.

But first, get out there and check it out. Oil in the bilge is a horrible thing to clean!

broknbonz33
07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
any more thoughts? thanks TJ

Hogwild
07-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I speak from experience that you might be looking at a rusted pan, not just a leaky drain tube. If the boat has seen saltwater, I got a C-note that the pan is shot.

Get a small mirror, and a couple of shop lights and a bunch of paper towels. Get down next to the motor and clean up the oil pan really good. Then wait! Use the mirror to better view the underside of the pan and see where it's leaking. The OEM is a steel pan that is at best covered in a paint that is just paint...not really a good layer of protection from the moisture. The weld around the drain plug fitting is a weak spot and notorious for rusting out in many many boats.

The ONLY way to fix this is to pull the motor and replace the pan. I did this a few years back, it's not a pretty job, but it provides you the opportunity to to update, fix, clean a bunch of stuff that you might not otherwise.

For now, you can try some marine-tex to seal the leak, or some other type of putty/epoxy for marine use. That's what I did in early July 2008, no more leak and used the boat the rest of the summer. I ended up pulling the motor the following Feb 2009.

I have the LTR motor and bought a new pan and gasket from Skidim. I took a bunch of pics if you want further info.

But first, get out there and check it out. Oil in the bilge is a horrible thing to clean!

pm sent!