PDA

View Full Version : 85 S&S barefoot boom

xtnkshun
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Hey TT'ers,

Anybody out there with a boom on their 85 S&S? If so, what kind?

I know that a Barefoot International straight boom would surely fit out the passenger side, but I am curious if the countour would fit out the drivers side (which is preferable to me).

Thanks for the assistance.

keith3613
07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I've had a Barefoot International straight boom on my 1984 since 1984 and it works perfectly.

blakehardesty
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
I've had a Barefoot International straight boom on my 1984 since 1984 and it works perfectly.

Ditto!! (It came with the boat when new. I havnt owned it that long) I only use it out the passenger side however. I think it would work on the other too. Never tried it tho.

madcityskier
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
If it ran to the drivers side I couldn't get the seat back far enough to drive my boat would be my guess.

xtnkshun
07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
If it ran to the drivers side I couldn't get the seat back far enough to drive my boat would be my guess.

That leads me to my next question. My drivers seat does not move. Were the original 85's driver seats adjustable?

Thanks for the info guys.

barefoot
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
The seat on my '83 is adjustable...I would assume yours would be too. If anything, take off the seat and lube up the track. if that doesn't work, order the new track assembly.

I use a contour boom, but have never tried it off the driver's side. If it did, the seat would be pretty close to the steering wheel. I'd rather not be cramped with I'm driving.

xtnkshun
07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
The seat on my '83 is adjustable...I would assume yours would be too. If anything, take off the seat and lube up the track. if that doesn't work, order the new track assembly.

I use a contour boom, but have never tried it off the driver's side. If it did, the seat would be pretty close to the steering wheel. I'd rather not be cramped with I'm driving.

Thanks for the info. I just looked briefly at the seat and didn't see a lever or anything. Didn't try to lift and slide. I will take a look. Fortunately I'm pretty short and it might work fine out of the drivers seat.

Thank you all again!!

kyfooter
07-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I had an '86 and it should be the exact same set-up as yours. I get my booms from Robert Bemman at www.Bemmanscustomdesign.com

They make the boom Scarpa always used and sold. Lightweight, relyable, perfect fit. I've had mine for 16 years and most of my friends have it as well. I like it much better than the 100 lb. dual cable BI boom.

Get the contoured boom, and if you want it to go out the driver side, just drill the pin hole perpindicular to where it will come drilled (to go out passenger side). I did that and I've had no issues.

keith3613
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
My 1984 S&S has an adjustable seat. The 1985 S&S boats are the same.

madcityskier
07-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Under the front of the seat there should be a lever to move allowing the seat to travel. If not I'd take it out and star by looking between the seat and the base. It's possible it may be broken off.

xtnkshun
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Kyfooter...I've used that boom before when I was younger and forgot about them. Did you have any spray problems with the boom being farther back?

Thanks for the seat info guys. I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and see what the situation is. I just got the 85 so still learning my way around her. Been about 20 years since I was in one.

Thanks again!!

kyfooter
07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
If I remember, you may get sprayed on the initial pull, around the 15-25 mph mark. It never bothered me, but I do recall my wife would complain when the spray hit her. I always turned away and in a second or so it was gone. You could always ask Bemman for the 2' boom extension which fits in-between the two main components. I have that now and it is pretty nice (though I only tried it after a friend gave me his extension).

I have always liked having the boom out the driver's side, and when I sold the '86 and replaced it with a then new 2003 197, the same boom fit fine.

atlfootr
07-18-2012, 05:41 PM
You could always ask Bemman for the 2' boom extension which fits in-between the two main components.
I have that now and it is pretty nice (though I only tried it after a friend gave me his extension).
I was just over there this week ... had I only known.

Rob Bemann
Bemann's Metal Fabrication Specialty
863 293 2405

xtnkshun
07-18-2012, 07:15 PM
kyfooter...was that just boom or with a rope attached?

I think i'll give it a try and get the extension if necessary.

kyfooter
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
You'll get a little spray with a 5' handle section attached. Straight boom I would think the spray would just miss you. Keep in mind, the spray that hits you is only for a few seconds on the start, not constant. And I would expect this to be the case no matter what boom you put on the boat, as it's a boat issue, not a boom issue. The side spray off the 80s Skier/ProStar was pretty wide and high until you reached 30 mph+, if I recall correctly.

The other thing that is big for me with the boom, is the cable rarely if ever touches the boat. Definitely not the case with dual cable booms.

If you check out Bemman's website, don't let the fact that it's a bit outdated fool you. He makes great products, and if there's something you need that you don't see, just call and ask.

xtnkshun
07-19-2012, 09:15 AM
You'll get a little spray with a 5' handle section attached. Straight boom I would think the spray would just miss you. Keep in mind, the spray that hits you is only for a few seconds on the start, not constant. And I would expect this to be the case no matter what boom you put on the boat, as it's a boat issue, not a boom issue. The side spray off the 80s Skier/ProStar was pretty wide and high until you reached 30 mph+, if I recall correctly.

The other thing that is big for me with the boom, is the cable rarely if ever touches the boat. Definitely not the case with dual cable booms.

If you check out Bemman's website, don't let the fact that it's a bit outdated fool you. He makes great products, and if there's something you need that you don't see, just call and ask.

Thanks kyfooter. Great info. I'm gonna order one today.

kyfooter
07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
FYI - Straight boom will not go out the driver side. Only a contoured boom. I prefer contoured also for the fact that the pylon mount is lower on the pylon, allowing you to slip on a skylon if you have one.

Good luck with the boom. I remember they aren't cheap (who would have thought barefooting could still be so expensive?)!

barefoot
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
I prefer the contoured boom as well. Gives me a nice foot rest because it mounts lower to the floor.

xtnkshun
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Well...I took my seat out and it surely does not slide. PO must have replaced with a fixed position plate. Any ideas where I could find a sliding seat?

kyfooter
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
That has to be a part you can find through a dealer or online search. I wouldn't think it's unique to the boat or the seat. If your current seat mounts to a black plastic molded component that screws into the floor, just buy the sliding mechanisms and insert it between your seat and the black molded plastic base.

Pictures would be good. It's possible you don't have an OEM seat. Or, the sliding component broke and the PO just removed that mechanism.