PDA

View Full Version : Boat tune-up

itch2ski
07-18-2012, 03:00 AM
I'm a first time boat owner, so these questions might be kind of newbish. I recently bought my first boat (92 PS205) and would like to do some basic maintenance.

Here is what I am thinking:
- new spark plugs
- new fuel filter
- new impeller
- clean spark arrestor
- clean crankcase breather

Does this boat have points? Is it worth converting to electronic ignition?
What am I missing? Anything else you guys would do?

tideengineer
07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the club. This is a great site to get good info and many will help. The search function is great but people on here LOVE BOAT PICS....so post some and you'll get even more help. Need to know what kind of engine you are running so post a pic of that.

JimN
07-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm a first time boat owner, so these questions might be kind of newbish. I recently bought my first boat (92 PS205) and would like to do some basic maintenance.

Here is what I am thinking:
- new spark plugs
- new fuel filter
- new impeller
- clean spark arrestor
- clean crankcase breather

Does this boat have points? Is it worth converting to electronic ignition?
What am I missing? Anything else you guys would do?

How old are the distributor cap and rotor? Inspect them and you'll see if your boat as points. PCV valve, oil change & replace the raw water pump gasket when you change the impeller.

Points work fine, as long as their setting is monitored on a regular basis. Once per month should work if you use the boat a lot and it only takes a minute.

itch2ski
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Here is a pic of the engine, it is the 351 HO 285 hp.

The PO took really good care of the boat so I'm not too worried, just not sure how old the plugs, fuel filter, impellar, etc are.
I will look at the distributor when I go home for lunch and see how old it is.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
It sure looks good.

scott023
07-18-2012, 11:52 AM
It sure looks good.

No kidding. Very clean.

84starsandstripes
07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Very clean! Congrats on the purchase!