PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake drag

kevkan
07-17-2012, 05:37 PM
I suspect my brakes are dragging too much. How much resistance should there be when spinning the trailer tire/wheel by hand? Single axle 2008 X-1.

surfacetension
07-17-2012, 05:41 PM
I have always thought this myself , I have a duel axle trailer and always have brake dust everytime out , It seems to tow well but the amount of dust makes me think the pads are to soft

Miss Rita
07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
disks or drums?

StrmChzr
07-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm interested in TT member replies as well. Recently while pulling into a very tight gas station that caused me to "jump" the curb that when my back wheel (dual axel trailer) lifted off ground momentarily it didn't spin whatsoever. Seemed strange that it didn't spin even though i was driving only 2-3 mph trying to navigate out of the parking lot. I had new brake pads and brake discs put on a few months ago when the brakes locked up on dealer while he wAs servicing it.

Any "rules of thumb" for how much resistance a wheel should have when not in contact with ground?

93Prostar190
07-18-2012, 12:34 AM
With disc brakes, no drag ......if you jack the wheel up it should spin freely ........ It is common for brakes to drag, you should fix the root issue ... Caliper sticking, or need to bleed the brake lines, or worst the Master cylinder/actuator could be the issue.

On my tandem, I think my trailer nose is a bit low when hitched to my Expedition and I don't think the rear wheel of the tandem gets its fair share of enough weight ...... I am using a different ball height this weekend. Although, I am careful to check and brakes have not been dragging on any wheel.

kyfooter
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I would agree that with disc brakes, no drag. Years ago I worked building custom boat trailers and when it came to the brakes (surge drum brakes - disc weren't available then for trailers) the rule of thumb was with no weight on the wheel, a nominal push should result in 3/4 to 1 full turn of the wheel.

With a 2008 X-1, you should have disc brakes. I did have an issue with a bad caliper on my trailer, which would hang up and in turn heat up. If your rim is getting hot after trips, it's a problem to be fixed now. Warm is fine, hot is not. If it gets too hot, you're on borrowed time with your bearing seal, which can start to melt (rubber seal), allowing the oil to leak, and then you're toast, letting the oil out and water in if you launch the boat.