PDA

View Full Version : The Honeymoon - 84 Prostar S&S

sxerob
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Greetings!

I have been lurking here for the past few weeks. Like the attitude and conversation going on with you guys. Thanks for the wealth of information so far.

Here is the skinny: I am recently married (after being with my wife for 8 years prior) and instead of going on a trip, the wife and I decided to spend that money on a boat. We came across a great deal and purchased what we have names "The Honeymoon" or "Honey" for short. This boat has been very well maintained and runs very well. Here are some shots.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/c5276026.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/e3ffdacd.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/9288388b.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/d9ab8b8a.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/53fff0bd.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/7d57aee9.jpg

We took her out for the maiden voyage this weekend. It ran very strong for the most part. However, when the boat would get warm, idling was very poor. I was told by the PO that the only thing he was going to do this summer, if he kept the boat, would be rebuild the carburetor. From what I have read so far, the carb (a Holley 4160) is prob very dirty and needs a new power valve. I have ordered a kit from Mike's Carburetor Parts that should be at my house by the weekend. I also had a mishap with the fuel gauge that tied in to the poor idle condition which lead my to think I had ran out of gas. The gauge is intermittent so sometimes is read empty when there was about a half a tank left. I read how to fix the sending unit, which seems easy, so I will address that as well. Other than that, the experience this weekend was awesome.

Here are a few things I want to get done on the boat:

* Hinge for the shot gun seat - right now its held open by a bungie chord. Any ideas on this?
* 12 volt Outlet - Has anyone done an upgrade?
* Fiberglass/gelcoat repair - I was thinking of using Bonda Glass to fill the bigger chips. Then Gelcoat kit.
* Boat Buddy Trailer Hitch - That swing arm is a PITA to work with.
* Hitch Repair - The gear broke and needs to be replaced
* Cup Holder on the engine cover - not sure about this but it might be cool.
* Gas Tank Cover - the piece between the tank and the rear seats has broken loose.
* Fuel Sending Unit/Fuel Gauge
* [B] Add a Subwoofer[B]

ctjahn
07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
And my wife and I dated for just short of a decade before we tied the knot. Dont want to rush in to these things...

Beautiful boat!

Cj

1978 MC S&S
Wisconsin

Which brings the point of: Has anyone been dedicated enough to get married on the MC? Or a lake? (hate to thread-jack; so maybe a new thread is in order. We got married pre-MC; low key, low maintenance wedding in the woods on a nice cool june day followed up by an equally low key, low maintenance reception of food and beer!)

funk
07-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Congrats on the purchase and marriage, obviously she's a keeper if you pulled that off.

Where are you going to be taking it and/or where are you located?

aquaman
07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Nice boat.

Sounds like you have 2 keepers there. :)

Double D
07-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Welcome to TeamTalk and Congrats on the lady and the Boat! Now we just need pictures of the wife!! :)

DemolitionMan
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Nice Boat Congrats!!!!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Congrats on the beginning of a new way of life..........and getting married.:rolleyes: Welcome to the family. :toast:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
And my wife and I dated for just short of a decade before we tied the knot. Dont want to rush in to these things...

Beautiful boat!

Cj

1978 MC S&S
Wisconsin

Which brings the point of: Has anyone been dedicated enough to get married on the MC? Or a lake? (hate to thread-jack; so maybe a new thread is in order. We got married pre-MC; low key, low maintenance wedding in the woods on a nice cool june day followed up by an equally low key, low maintenance reception of food and beer!)

I remember seeing photos of a marriage on a mastercraft here on tt a few years back...

Jeffer
07-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Dude, everyone on this forum is pissed off that YOU got the girl that opted for a Mastercraft over a honeymoon!
There is something there so wrong it's right.
May you have many, many years together in complete bliss.
...and I hope the same for you and you wife, too.

ahhudgins
07-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I (and most people here) will agree that you and your wife made a fine decision. You spend money on a trip and when itís over you have memories of that one week. Spend the money on a MC and you will be making memories every weekend. Then the kids come along and you have to buy a bigger boat!

Congrats on the marriage and the MC. It's marital property now, so don't piss her off!:D

Covi
07-17-2012, 06:59 PM
You the MAN!

orbeamlb
07-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Congratulations on your marriage and new boat. Wishing you and your bride many years of happiness.

We did made a similar choice, buy our first boat or family trip to Disney World. Wife and kids voted for the boat. Disney next year.

sxerob
07-18-2012, 03:23 AM
You guys are funny. Thanks for the congratulations on such a huge milestone! It really is such an important part of ones life and to think I waited this long to do it. Oh yea... getting married was alright too. ;)

Here she is along with my goobering face:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/1a7b74e3.jpg

Cloaked
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
....rebuild the carburetor.
I'd replace the carb with a new one. Rebuilds are cantankerous but work for a while. I have a good instruction PPT file it for need it.

* Hinge for the shot gun seat - right now its held open by a bungie chord. Any ideas on this?
I'd leave it like it is. I have been using these models like that for years. Each to their own...
* 12 volt Outlet - Has anyone done an upgrade?
* Fiberglass/gelcoat repair - I was thinking of using Bonda Glass to fill the bigger chips. Then Gelcoat kit.
* Boat Buddy Trailer Hitch - That swing arm is a PITA to work with.
Learn how to use the bar with the correct trailer depth and technique for loading and that bar will be your best safety friend for life. Boat buddy is going the wrong way for conveninece and safety in my opinion. I wouldn't be without a bar.
* Hitch Repair - The gear broke and needs to be replaced
?? What gear on what hitch??
* Cup Holder on the engine cover - not sure about this but it might be cool.
See SkiDog's latest accessory for drink holders. The 84 engine cover really doesn't have a place designated for drink holders. Leave it original.
* Gas Tank Cover - the piece between the tank and the rear seats has broken loose.
Replace the entire fuel sending unit this winter. Moeller makes these replacements as the OEM provider..
* [b] Add a Subwoofer[b]
Nice addition.. .consider a second battery too.

Welcome to the money pit. Nice looking machine.

madcityskier
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM

* Hinge for the shot gun seat - Why hold it open? I throw something in there or grab it out close it back up. No real thoughts, as I have never wanted to do it.
* 12 volt Outlet - Drilled and placed it in the base of the passengers' seat next to the drivers feet. Also allows for the phone gps app in instances where you will pick up weeds on the speedos. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
* Fiberglass/gelcoat repair - Had to do some patch on our old boat, used POWERPOXY Underwater Epoxy, worked great, strong and blended well enough with the hull to be it's own finish. Smooth it carefully and pan to do a little sanding.
* Boat Buddy Trailer Hitch - Safety bar is truely a two person operation. If the trailer is in far enough shouldn't be a real problem. Make sure the carpet on the bunks is wet and drive it right on. Boat buddy is very convienient until it fails, and it does tend to mark up your bow.
* Hitch Repair - Winch? If so just replace the winch. It really doesn't do much anyway, since you'll drive on and the bar holds the boat in place anyway. That said there are redundancies for a reason.
* Cup Holder on the engine cover - No good flat spot except the top of the engine cover. Clearance would likely be an issue as well as heat. If you're trying to keep your coffe warm give it a go. I've seen others pop a couple new holes on the dash so that there are two on each side of the mirror and drop in three more holders. Works ok.
* Gas Tank Cover - The false transom cover should have screws to hold it in place with finish washers. You might need to see why it's loose. Might require some anchors or even glass work to get this back to right.
* [b] Add a Subwoofer[b]-Fuel gauge has been a thing that we chase down, and when it stops working we live with it for a while and eventually chase down again. It's working it's way onto my to do list as well. Took the radio that my brother put into this boat when we were in high school out. Wish there wasn't this extra hole in it. Might try to put a glovebox there someday to have a bit of easy/dry storage for phones and such. If I kept the radio I was toying with the idea off trying to build a removable sub box to fit up into the nose beyond the reasonably usable storage. Space in these boats is so limited I'd hate to wast any on the radio.
You're off to a great start. Congrats x 2 and welcome to the family. If you aren't considering it already I'd recommend an extended pylon. Very nice for boarding, teaching and when the boat is full you can do some recreational skiing off of it while still using the back seat.

Willski
07-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Congrats...I had an 84 from 1997 to 2009. Loved it. Sounds like all pretty minor stuff. That carb can be finicky, but a rebuild should make it happy.

Jeffer
07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Your boat is no where near as beautiful as your wife.

Upkeep on both is VERY similar. Keep her bottom clean and well waxed. Never put cheap fuel in her. Cover her up and keep her warm in the winter. When you're not using her, make sure she's happy and docked in a nice place. Buy her nice accessories once and a while to keep her looking fresh. And once a month (and you will know when) leave her at home to rest and spend a day with your buddy and get a pull (once a month he'll need to do the same, so be there for him too).

Congrats on both - when she's happy, you're happy.

nauti-dreamer
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
@ Jeffer....LMAO :)

sxerob
07-19-2012, 01:52 PM
@ Jeffer HAHAHA Dude... great post.

Thanks for the responses, guys. As far as the carbs, I think I am going to rebuild, at least for the season, and see where I am at. I think it might be more of a vacuum leak now but either way, I have a full rebuild kit that arrived yesterday and I plan on rebuilding for a run on Sunday.

I found these things for the sub. Pretty darn cool.

http://www.kicker.com/PX_Amplifiers

and then another thing which, I think trumps out the amp. I know the issue with powered drivers going out (I've purchased quite a few pieces of audio equipment) however, I think price and space wise it's the best option.

http://www.kicker.com/Hideaway

nauti-dreamer
07-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Congrats on the boat and nuptials sxerob and wife (does she have a name?)!

Being that we are in similar "boats" so to speak, I can safely say that I am married to two wives. And both require a lot of quality time if you know what I mean! ;) I will add that as you browse TT and become aware of the prevelant MCOCD, I think it may be worse when the boat is a "gift" of sorts. (I feel obligated to keep it in tip-top shape)

As to the question of getting married on the boat I cannot attest to that (being Catholic) BUT the boat was at our wedding. Actually it was my wedding gift from her. Picture to follow. (For anyone out there interested in how I pulled that off.....I'll say it all started by me wanting to give notice in the wedding invites that "if guests wanted to contribute to the "boat" fund in-leu of a wedding gift that would be great". Of course I was joking but needless to say a seed was planted. So the boat showed up on the wedding day.)

As for your upgrades:

shotgun seat: Can you install a compressed gas spring to prop it open?
Cupholder: Is this for you and observer or is it for the rear seat passengers. MC has a convenient 3 spot holder that attaches to the ski pylon if that would be an option. check their website: http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_475.asp

sxerob
07-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks, nauti!

That's pretty awesome! Sounds like your wifey is quite the catch! I had a deal with the lady that if she is getting a ring and all these awesome things (that is coming out of my wallet) that I get a 1962 Lincoln Continental project... Welp! The garage is still empty but her fingers are iced out. All in all, I cant complain being that she not only condoned but was excited about the boat purchase. I have a long time (any many projects in the queue) to get a Lincoln.

I was thinking a compressed hydro shock. The cup holders are for the people in the back and I'll be sure to check out that link. Thanks!

DH9441
07-19-2012, 04:35 PM
I added a marine 12v power point in the observer seat housing next to the drivers seat. Sorry, I don't have pics. I purchased off ebay...it was very cheap. The install turned out well.

nauti-dreamer
07-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Exactly! That's what said. Between a nice house, the Finger Bling, and a big party (wedding which we paid for).....a boating lifestyle is the least a skier could hope for!!

mzimme
07-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I put a 10" sub with just a standard box up in the bow of my boat with the amp screwed to the back of the box. I stuffed it right in front of the little foot rest thing in the drivers foot area with the sub facing towards the front of the boat. I still have plent of storage in the bow, and the way the sub sits in there makes the whole bow act as a giant box that sends all the bass right out at the open area by my feet when I'm driving. It works well.

I have some pictures in this thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47264

itch2ski
07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
For rear passenger cup holders you could go with some of the folding kind and mount them to the rear of the engine cover, rear seat base, or side panels. The early Prostar 205's came with two of these mounted to the front of the engine cover for driver and passenger. They are inexpensive and space saving as well. My '92 205 surprisingly still has the original MC cup holders fully functioning.

trickskier
07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Beautiful S&S - Congratulations!!!

sxerob
07-20-2012, 06:38 PM
For rear passenger cup holders you could go with some of the folding kind and mount them to the rear of the engine cover, rear seat base, or side panels. The early Prostar 205's came with two of these mounted to the front of the engine cover for driver and passenger. They are inexpensive and space saving as well. My '92 205 surprisingly still has the original MC cup holders fully functioning.

Do they come with the train set also?!?!?!?!

sxerob
07-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I put a 10" sub with just a standard box up in the bow of my boat with the amp screwed to the back of the box.
I have some pictures in this thread:

Nice, man! Looks good. That's where I was thinking of putting it. Just like the compact nature of this one too.

rkhodges21
07-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Congrats sxerob. You have one good looking woman there. and your wife is mighty easy on the eyes as well.

sxerob
07-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Gracias, sir.

I received my carb kit and tore in to things this Friday. Quickly, I realized that I did not have the right one. Even after giving the guy my carb number and him telling me what I needed to buy. Turns out they dont have a kit that fits the needs of this carb... I need a different throttle body flange gasket and marine needle and seats. We are going to have piece a kit together, which Mike's is working on now. Hopefully it wont be too much of a hassle...

That being said, seems as though the power valve is good and the other o-rings etc are in pretty decent shape. The other diagnosis was a vacuum leak, which would have been at the throttle body doesnt seem like it would be the case as the gasket is in pretty good shape also...who knows what's up. Either way, Im going to continue rebuild and put back together and test out.

sxerob
07-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Gracias, sir.

I received my carb kit and tore in to things this Friday. Quickly, I realized that I did not have the right one. Even after giving the guy my carb number and him telling me what I needed to buy. Turns out they dont have a kit that fits the needs of this carb... I need a different throttle body flange gasket and marine needle and seats. We are going to have piece a kit together, which Mike's is working on now. Hopefully it wont be too much of a hassle...

That being said, seems as though the power valve is good and the other o-rings etc are in pretty decent shape. The other diagnosis was a vacuum leak, which would have been at the throttle body doesnt seem like it would be the case as the gasket is in pretty good shape also...who knows what's up. Either way, Im going to continue rebuild and put back together and test out.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
You don't have to see a tear in a gasket to have a leak. A dried gasket will allow air to get in as well. Good luck with the rebuild. Make sure you soak it for long enough.

sxerob
07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Still trying to hunt down the proper parts for this thing. Holley's website is pretty helpful. Think I found the right heat shield kit (http://www.holley.com/108-70.asp).

Now I'm moving on to the needle and seats. Does anyone know what the proper size is for these carbs? Here is what I'm looking at:

http://www.holley.com/108-70.asp

I have this carburetor:

http://www.holley.com/0-80319-1.asp

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Why not just order the correct marine rebuild kit?

sxerob
07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Cant find one. There is always something just slightly off. Even the Holley suggested kit doesnt have the same heat shield/throttle body flange. It's one of those paper thin ones, whereas the one that came off the throttle body is about 1/4" thick.

That being said, found the proper stuff on Summit based on the Holley Part number:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-6-511/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-108-70/

sxerob
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Here's the Holley recommended rebuild kit for my carb and its not the same one as I pulled off the block:

http://www.holley.com/703-47.asp

mzimme
07-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a Holley rebuild kit sitting at my house. When I get home from work I'll check it out and see if I can get you a part number. I'd ship it off to you, but knowing my luck I'd probably need it the day after I sent it to ya.

sxerob
07-25-2012, 02:49 PM
I see you and I have the same luck!

Thanks, man! I appreciate that.

mzimme
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Sorry, forgot to take those pictures yesterday. Here is my carb rebuild kit from holley. As you can see it has the 1/4" thick plate for the TB. All indications point to it being the "Holley Renew Kit #703-33. Keep in mind, I didn't buy this. The guy I bought my boat from gave this to me as an "extra" that he bought a long time ago when he didn't know whether or not Holley would continue making these rebuild kits. My boat is an 83 also... and I can't confirm which carb I have at the moment (not by the boat to look). I can double check what carb I have for reference next time I'm by the boat if you'd like. Hope this helps.

http://www.holley.com/703-33.asp

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3093.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3097.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3092.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3099.jpg

tim79mc
07-27-2012, 10:34 AM
I did a rebuild about on my 1979 S&S more than 10 years ago. I had no fun doing it and it worked only marginally better than before the rebuild. I bought a brand new carb and its been running strong through today. For the cost of a new carb, I'd skip the labor needed for a rebuild and go new.

tim79mc
07-27-2012, 10:35 AM
btw- love that your wife thought it was a better idea to buy a ski boat than go on vacation!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Rebuilding a Holley is an incredibly easy job, but you can't do any shortcuts without paying the price. Most people have poor results because they decide to not soak their carb in cleaner for a sufficient amount of time. Attention to detail is what it is all about.

sxerob
07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Got the carb back together after receiving the proper needles and flange gasket. Put it back on last night and it seems as tho everything is working well. I cant really tell until I get the boat out on the water and run it for a while (when the issue started occurring) but it fired right up and captured idled very well after a few good revs and killing it suddenly. I am going to Donner Lake, which is at about 8,000 ft so I didn't do much in terms of tuning as I will have to mess with the mixture when I get there again. I live in So Cal so the elevation is much less.

sxerob
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Sorry, forgot to take those pictures yesterday. Here is my carb rebuild kit from holley. As you can see it has the 1/4" thick plate for the TB. All indications point to it being the "Holley Renew Kit #703-33. Keep in mind, I didn't buy this. The guy I bought my boat from gave this to me as an "extra" that he bought a long time ago when he didn't know whether or not Holley would continue making these rebuild kits. My boat is an 83 also... and I can't confirm which carb I have at the moment (not by the boat to look). I can double check what carb I have for reference next time I'm by the boat if you'd like. Hope this helps.

Thanks, MZIMME. Looks like I did get what I needed.

mzimme
07-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Good deal.

84starsandstripes
07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Congrats on the purchase and the marriage! Looks like a very clean boat!!!!

sxerob
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
My family has a house on Donner Lake, which is about 30 min from North Shore Tahoe. We pulled in Sat afternoon and dropped the boat in for the first time yesterday. Carb was running pretty well! I didn't tune it more than the 1.5 turns to get it to start while I was at home b/c I knew I would be at 5000 ft elevation here. I tuned it up yesterday to about 4.5 turns out and t seems to be running great up here.

Only issue is this: 1 out of every 10 starts out of the hole it bogs down. My guess is b/c the engine cover doesnt let enough clean air through while idling so the mixture is off. Anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it?

Here's a shot if Honey on the lake:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/DIRescue/38db1336.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Beautiful spot. If you think there isn't enough air under the hood (which is unlikely) leave the blower on and there will be plenty. More likely is the accelerator pump volume needs to be adjusted, or your carb is running a little too rich. You could look at a plug or two for color to see how close the carb is. 4.5 turns seems like a lot, but I have no experience tuning a Holley at altitude. To tune it properly, you should be changing jets, not just trying to compensate with idle mixture.

sxerob
08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Im out now. Going to try leaving the blower on. If not I'll work the accelerator pump.

Sent using Tapatalk

sxerob
08-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Accelerator pump needed to be re-installed. It has a good shot from idle now.

Problem now is starting. When I took the carb apart, I fixed the pump but then adjusted the float. I have it set parallel to the bottom now. When I brought it back out it fired up but I forgot to put the choke wires on so it died. Reconnected that and inspected the linkage and it seemed to be fine.

From there, it was very hard to start. Turned the idle mix screws back in waited a while, pumped the gas a few times and it started but rough. Adjusted idle screws pump the gas a few times to see if the accelerator pump was adjusted properly and it ran pretty well. After about 10 min, I shut it down.

Came out this morning to fire it up and got nothing. The crank from the battery seems a bit low and I noticed there was fuel coming from the venturies (sp?), which I thought wasn't supposed to happen at idle. If the float level is set incorrectly, could that be sending fuel through the Venturi? Other than that, it's idle screws or bad battery... Can I test the battery with it connected?

Sent using Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Accelerator pump needed to be re-installed. It has a good shot from idle now.

Problem now is starting. When I took the carb apart, I fixed the pump but then adjusted the float. I have it set parallel to the bottom now. When I brought it back out it fired up but I forgot to put the choke wires on so it died. Reconnected that and inspected the linkage and it seemed to be fine.

From there, it was very hard to start. Turned the idle mix screws back in waited a while, pumped the gas a few times and it started but rough. Adjusted idle screws pump the gas a few times to see if the accelerator pump was adjusted properly and it ran pretty well. After about 10 min, I shut it down.

Came out this morning to fire it up and got nothing. The crank from the battery seems a bit low and I noticed there was fuel coming from the venturies (sp?), which I thought wasn't supposed to happen at idle. If the float level is set incorrectly, could that be sending fuel through the Venturi? Other than that, it's idle screws or bad battery... Can I test the battery with it connected?

Sent using Tapatalk

You are on the right track. Sounds like you need to look at the float level again. Also, with a properly working accelerator pump, you may only need to pump the throttle once. More than that may be too much. You might also use a can of carb cleaner to check the base gasket for vacuum leaks.

sxerob
08-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Ok. She fires now. I opened the pin on the float more so that it was higher than level and it seemed to make a difference. It takes a few cranks to get it to fire but after one to two pumps of the throttle she gives in.

I guess my remaining head scratcher is if the oat level is higher... Wouldn't that deliver more fuel in got the bowl?

Sent using Tapatalk

sxerob
08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Pump is stuck again!!!! >(

I'm going to deal with it until it's really an issue and try to enjoy the rest of the trip. Fixed the fuel in the secondaries tho so it fires up right away.

Sent using Tapatalk

sxerob
08-13-2012, 02:47 PM
The Altitude ate 'ol honey ALIVE! Eventually it fouled the plugs and burned out the coil (I think from trying to start it too much). Not the best trip but a learning experience. I am going to see if I can go back in Sept. for labor day with different jets and some other things.

The numbers stamped on the side of the jet is 266... is that a 1/4" 66 jet size? The rule I read was a size down for every 2000ft of elevation. It's about 7000ft up there so I would have to jet down considerably.

sxerob
10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Been a while since I posted on here. The wife and I were able to get old honey out one last time in Sept. I started grad school and the wife is working a few jobs. Our free time is very limited.

I did have to replace the coil from the trip up north. It burnt out and the plugs also were fouled up. Ran really well down in SoCal.

Going to try to winterize this thing soon. I found a few checklist here but they were for a 93 ProStar. Should be pretty similar, no?

strad
10-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Should be. There are five drain plugs on a PCM 351. One for each riser, one aft on the left side of block, one forward on the right side of block, and one at the bottom of the J tube (between raw water pump and main water pump). If you're lucky (I haven't been so far) your boat will have been regularly winterized in the past, and you'll have an easy time getting your plugs out. My boat was a garaged SF bay area boat, and I'm pretty sure they never winterized it.

I've had both riser plugs disintegrate on me during removal so far :mad: Luckily they disintegrated so badly that getting the remains out, while tedious, has not been terribly hard, aside from the terrible contortions I've had to put myself in to see what I'm doing lol.

sxerob
12-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Luckily I live in SoCal where temp is not an issue in terms of winterizing. I decided to not winterize this season and simply start the boat ever month and let it get to temp. I am happy to report that the last two times have been very easy. Just fired her up a few moments ago and I'm sitting next to a purring motor as I type :)

thatsmrmastercraft
12-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Luckily I live in SoCal where temp is not an issue in terms of winterizing. I decided to not winterize this season and simply start the boat ever month and let it get to temp. I am happy to report that the last two times have been very easy. Just fired her up a few moments ago and I'm sitting next to a purring motor as I type :)

Dang..........just heard they are going to plow our streets starting in 90 minutes.

mikeg205
12-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Dang..........just heard they are going to plow our streets starting in 90 minutes.

Don't forget to take lot's of pictures of Kyle braving the cold...sorry for thread jack... now back to original thread...

No winterizing...means you can ski all year...right?

Aric'sX15
12-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Beautiful boat!

Cj

1978 MC S&S
Wisconsin

Some one out here in Texas got married on his X45!

sxerob
06-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Woooo! Got out on the water this morning. Water was terrible but it was great to be on the lake!

Old Honey ran pretty well for the most part. Gave me a bit of a scare not starting after floating in the sun for a while. I pulled the ign fuse and reinserted it and it turned over again. Thought that was pretty interesting. Anyone experience that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thatsmrmastercraft
06-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Sounds like a little corrosion. Clean up the contacts and apply a little dielectric grease to avoid this in the future.

sxerob
01-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Started the boat a few weekends ago and heard this sound from the prop. I went to a low lake with high grass. Might have picked up some stowaways. Anyone have this sound before?

http://youtu.be/VbcAKaYMmEg

cbryan70
01-29-2014, 01:41 PM
was the boat in the water at the time?

sxerob
01-29-2014, 01:43 PM
In this video? No.

mcparadise
01-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Since the boat is not in the water the squeaking noise sounds like it's from the cutlass bearing which is not being lubricated as the shaft rotates. Not too good for the bearing to do this, I think.

sxerob
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
It's not in gear, so everyone knows. This is just in neutral and the shaft spins a wee bit when I rev.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Since the boat is not in the water the squeaking noise sounds like it's from the cutlass bearing which is not being lubricated as the shaft rotates. Not too good for the bearing to do this, I think.

Agreed. Don't put into gear when not in the water. That is definitely the cause of the noise.

sxerob
01-29-2014, 01:58 PM
So in essence, the buoyancy of the prop in the water will stop this sound?

cruiser
01-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Water is the lubricant that stops the noise of the shaft turning in the cutlass bearing. When i run the boat out of the water i spray lubricant on the shaft in the strut, without lube you can wear a cutlass bearing out pretty quick.

sxerob
01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Anything in particular that you use or is WD40 doing the trick for you?

cruiser
01-29-2014, 04:55 PM
I actually use white lithium grease in a spray can, but wd-40 or any spray lube would work.

tph
01-30-2014, 03:17 AM
I know this is an old thread but if you still want to install a prop for the seat back you can use a 20 lb. gas strut from Overton's. Easy install.

sperroids
02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
TPH, I gotta know how you did the teleflex tilt steering in this picture. I have ordered the same unit for our 86 and upon installation I have found that the new helm gear box cannot be installed because of one of the dashboard supports on the under side. It looks like it would fit if the cable was run the the right and then circled back around and down the transom. Or, it could simply be trimmed and the cable run the usual way. How did you go about it? also, how did you make the larger hole for that teleflex system? I really need your help and any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

tph
02-18-2014, 08:30 PM
TPH, I gotta know how you did the teleflex tilt steering in this picture. I have ordered the same unit for our 86 and upon installation I have found that the new helm gear box cannot be installed because of one of the dashboard supports on the under side. It looks like it would fit if the cable was run the the right and then circled back around and down the transom. Or, it could simply be trimmed and the cable run the usual way. How did you go about it? also, how did you make the larger hole for that teleflex system? I really need your help and any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

This was installed many years ago, but I don't recall having issues with the dash supports. Perhaps I drilled through. The larger hole was a little more challenging. Once I determined where I wanted the hole, I clamped a piece of plywood to the front of the dash, marked the center of the hole and drilled through the ply and the dash with a hole saw. It worked great! The boat is stored 150 mi. away and I won't see it again for a couple of weeks. If you can wait, I can take a closer look and report back.

strad
02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Water is the lubricant that stops the noise of the shaft turning in the cutlass bearing. When i run the boat out of the water i spray lubricant on the shaft in the strut, without lube you can wear a cutlass bearing out pretty quick.

Is dirty neutral pretty common? My power slot does not do it. I run it in neutral on the trailer quite often.

sperroids
02-26-2014, 02:27 AM
I can certainly wait a couple of weeks. I would love to see how you set it up. I can manage the dash whole but I need to see how you fit the gear box and the cable. Thanks so much.

tph
03-11-2014, 12:32 AM
I can certainly wait a couple of weeks. I would love to see how you set it up. I can manage the dash whole but I need to see how you fit the gear box and the cable. Thanks so much.

Here's a picture. The helm is rotary. There is no problem with the dash braces. Do you have a rack and pinion setup?

sperroids
03-16-2014, 02:01 AM
That is amazing. I can't figure out how mine is different. I think my dash support may be closer. I can't fit it in there without it hitting. Yours is a teleflex? I have the rotary but it may be a bigger diameter. I will try to snap a picture and see if I can figure the difference.

tph
03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
That is amazing. I can't figure out how mine is different. I think my dash support may be closer. I can't fit it in there without it hitting. Yours is a teleflex? I have the rotary but it may be a bigger diameter. I will try to snap a picture and see if I can figure the difference.

Yes, it's a Teleflex. The Steermaster system that was in there before was even bigger. Please post a picture. maybe that would help.

sperroids
03-19-2014, 03:22 PM
I looked at it and my support is positioned differently. It is about 4 inches closer to the steering wheel. I have the exact same helm gear box but it hits pretty bad on that support. The factory steermaster had the gear extend on the other side of the shaft. I am considering trimming that support. Do you think that may weaken the dash?

tph
03-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Do you have a picture?

sperroids
04-10-2014, 04:25 PM
If I could figure out how to post an image I would.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-10-2014, 04:30 PM
If I could figure out how to post an image I would.

If you are posting from a computer, click on the Post Reply button (not the quick reply), then click on the paperclip and work from there. You will have to add some text as well.