PDA

View Full Version : Rudder

cpr05xtr
07-17-2012, 12:10 PM
What is the maintenance for a rudder on an 06 star. I searched but could not find anything. How often are you suppose to fill the grease zerk and how much do you put in? Is there suppose be play in the rudder?

scott023
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
What is the maintenance for a rudder on an 06 star. I searched but could not find anything. How often are you suppose to fill the grease zerk and how much do you put in? Is there suppose be play in the rudder?

Not sure on the required greasing frequency, but my is done twice a year. Can't hurt, right?

My rudder has virtually no play in it at all, so I assume they aren't supposed to have much, if any.

cpr05xtr
07-17-2012, 12:58 PM
ok im not sure that it has ever been greased to be honest buying it used. I just had it out of the water recently and noticed a little play in there. Is there bushings inside of the assembly that can be replaced?

JohnE
07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
There was a rudder upgrade in 06 iirc. Not sure if every 06 had it. Something you may want to look into. Supposed to drastically improve handling. May wanna search here.

cpr05xtr
07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
ya looked into that and there is someone on tt with one for sale but he wants retail for a used rudder i have had no problems with the stock one just trying to compile some info for this falls maintenance

deminimis
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
How many hours on the boat? I have 400+ on my 04 and no play that would concern me. the bushing unit can be replaced, if you actually need to. I use the blue marine grease on mine and it works great. I also upgraded my rudder. Good investment that as steering and tracking were greatly improved, although at docking/loading speed, it is still is as maneuverable as a barge. I'm thinking the only cure for that would be thrusters.

cpr05xtr
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Ya looks like the 05 rudder has no grease fitting. Might just have to start looking for an upgrade one.

deminimis
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I think Jersey Dave ('05 X-Star) indicated that there are two "O" rings on his rudder shaft in some old thread (if I remember correctly). If you don't have the '06-newer rudder, then my GUESS is you have the "O" ring type and by replacing those rings, you might be once again snug as a bug. Most of this is from memory (which could easily be false memory), so take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

willyt
07-19-2012, 02:20 PM
talk to jbrew. i think he just tried to grease his rudder (...ha) on the X9 and found that it didnt have a grease fitting.

Jerseydave
07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Ya looks like the 05 rudder has no grease fitting. Might just have to start looking for an upgrade one.

The newer style rudder is a must IMHO....makes the boat handle so much better.
My rudder port has no grease fittings, but it's easy to remove the rudder once a year to grease it. 2 o-rings on mine to keep the water out of the boat.
If yours has a little play I wouldn't worry about it, as long as no water is entering the boat.

Take a pic of your rudder and I'll tell you if it's old style or new style.

cpr05xtr
07-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Ya it is def the old style i found a bunch of pics of the new style as far as water coming in i have not looked. I have noticed my front bilge running about every 15 min or so. Just have not had enough time while it is in the water to find the source of my water entry. I do know its not from the motor i made sure of that. Also looked at the driveshaft and it is not the source. SO Im guessing that it is my problem going to try and take it apart tonight and see what i can see.