PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Travel Cover???? not for traveling?

bjames
07-17-2012, 12:58 PM
OK.. im a little confused. I have a 2012 X25 that came with 'what i thought' was the trailering cover (full cover that covers the tower in the down position).

1. I assumed that when I ordered the boat, that the full cover was a travel cover. At least that was what I was left to believe.

2. The DVD that comes with the 2012 cover shows you tips on traveling with the cover on. Of course the DVD is outdated just like the 2012 manuals, but thats all the customer can go off of.

3. I was told by my dealer that the cover is ONLY for storage and not for trailering as it will scratch the gell coat and will not be covered under warranty.

4. If the statement above is correct, then why does the cover come with straps to tie down each side to the trailer?

5. If this isnt considered a travel cover, then what does MC offer in terms of a "travel cover" what is the difference? If its just a matter of installing fleece lining, I can get that done myself.:confused:

We always travel with the full cover on becuase it keeps the bugs and dirt off the tower and interior. Also I assumes that the cover was made for trailering.

Nick911
07-17-2012, 02:24 PM
You have to wrap the boat where the cover rubs with shrink wrap. I do 8 layers or so. Towed 1400 Km to BC and it was fine except for some minor rubbing in the rear which will buff out easy.

TRBenj
07-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Straps dont make a cover trailerable. A super precise, extremely tight fitting pattern does. Im not aware of any OEM that offers a "factory cover" that meets that description.

The only 2 options that Im aware of for such a cover are:

1)A locally made, custom fit cover. Usually held down with snaps. Cost will be dependant on your region, but here in the northeast, youre looking at $1k and above for a 19-20' inboard.

2)A Rankin/Coversports style cover. Really tight pattern, hooks at the rub rail, straps at the rear, and a ratcheting drawstring. Cost will approach $1k for a 19-20' inboard. Larger boats and optional features (tower cut outs, etc) cost more.

All of the OEM covers Ive seen are better described as mooring covers. Not nearly precise enough to fit tightly and prevent buffetting at highway speeds. Much easier to put on, though- and much lower cost to make.

bjames
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
If the cover was intended for Mooring, then what the heck would you strap the cover to? The webbing that comes with the cover is for wraping around the trailer. And like I mentioned, the DVD provides tips on traveling with the cover.

I looked at my build sheet to see which cover I got, It just says "Cover" doesnt mention travel or mooring.

Also I recall seeing in the manual that they recommend NOT to travel with the cover, but instead look into MasterCraft's options for trailering covers.

I just find this a little misleading, They should expect people to travel with the boat covered for obvious reasons, but why would they not provide such a cover for the $$ we pay for these boats. I am not going to pull a $100K boat uncovered through a hail storm or heavy downpour.

bjames
07-17-2012, 04:19 PM
You have to wrap the boat where the cover rubs with shrink wrap. I do 8 layers or so. Towed 1400 Km to BC and it was fine except for some minor rubbing in the rear which will buff out easy.

Hey Nick, Shrink wrap is not an option for us. Our commute is only 45mins or so, and we go to the lake sometimes 4 times a week. My wife doesnt like the idea of traveling without the cover becuase of the bugs here, to be honest, I dont blame her.

I think I may just get the perimeter of the cover lined with that white soft material to help eliminate scuffs on the top deck near the back.

Nick911
07-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Hey Nick, Shrink wrap is not an option for us. Our commute is only 45mins or so, and we go to the lake sometimes 4 times a week. My wife doesnt like the idea of traveling without the cover becuase of the bugs here, to be honest, I dont blame her.

I think I may just get the perimeter of the cover lined with that white soft material to help eliminate scuffs on the top deck near the back.

Good idea let me know how it works out.

mzimme
07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Personally I'd be more worried about ruining the gelcoat on the 100k boat from the wrong cover than I would be about it getting poured on in a rainstorm. Hail might happen, but that's what insurance is for. Wax your tower and the bugs will wipe off pretty easily.

Your other option might be having another custom cover made to protect your investment. It'd be worth it to me...

08M3Sedanski
07-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Is it the cover with the ratchets in the back?

surfacetension
07-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I tow with my cover all the time 75MPH and mine has the rachet straps, I wax my boat by hand and after 5 years I have never seen any rub on the gel coat , I was told <(Here on the Board) that if you tow an X2 w/o the cover that the back seat cushions will blow out. Mine is a 2007 and I have the 4 point tower , and the cover only goes on with the tower up. I'm not sure about these new towers

jcbatt
07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
I tow with my cover all the time 75MPH and mine has the rachet straps, I wax my boat by hand and after 5 years I have never seen any rub on the gel coat , I was told <(Here on the Board) that if you tow an X2 w/o the cover that the back seat cushions will blow out. Mine is a 2007 and I have the 4 point tower , and the cover only goes on with the tower up. I'm not sure about these new towers

Same here - have towed with the MasterCraft factory covers for years (ratchet straps on the back w/ 3 loops usually) and they work great. I don't use the side strap. You may get some very light marks on your gel coat in a couple spots, but literally they will come off with some lacquer thinner, or if they were any deeper, with a little compound (have never had to go this far). I have heard of issues towing with the power tower down - I think its needs some bracing - but never heard of any issues with the cover itself.

bobx1
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I imagine the dealer is only offering advice/opinion. There are several posts on this board that are full of "dont cover when trailering" and "I always cover when trailering". My 07 came with a trailerable cover but I never did cover it due to the potential of gel coat scratches.

It is a matter of how anal and OCD you are as to if you trailer with it or not.

Thrall
07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
I imagine the dealer is only offering advice/opinion. There are several posts on this board that are full of "dont cover when trailering" and "I always cover when trailering". My 07 came with a trailerable cover but I never did cover it due to the potential of gel coat scratches.

It is a matter of how anal and OCD you are as to if you trailer with it or not.

Correct, and what color your boat is.
I typically keep the cover off, but have towed with it on. Have the scufs to prove it (black boat). No they won't come off with lacquer thinner, but don't require wet sanding either.
It's not like it's rubbing thru the gel.
OE MC cover.

TRBenj
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
If the cover was intended for Mooring, then what the heck would you strap the cover to? The webbing that comes with the cover is for wraping around the trailer. And like I mentioned, the DVD provides tips on traveling with the cover.
I would think those straps would go under the boat, if moored- or down to the trailer when the boat is stored. Like I said, straps dont make a cover trailerable, IMHO- the cover needs to be TIGHT to prevent doing damage to the gel or to the cover itself.

I think that covering the boat for a 45 min trailer ride is silly though. On such a short trip, one would think that you'd have a reasonable idea of what the weather is going to be like. I have a trailerable cover and if Im not going 2+ hrs away AND expect to hit bad weather, I dont put it on.

Sounds like you either need to pony up for a better cover or learn to deal with trailering cover-less.:confused:

bjames
07-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I would think those straps would go under the boat, if moored- or down to the trailer when the boat is stored. Like I said, straps dont make a cover trailerable, IMHO- the cover needs to be TIGHT to prevent doing damage to the gel or to the cover itself.

I think that covering the boat for a 45 min trailer ride is silly though. On such a short trip, one would think that you'd have a reasonable idea of what the weather is going to be like. I have a trailerable cover and if Im not going 2+ hrs away AND expect to hit bad weather, I dont put it on.

Sounds like you either need to pony up for a better cover or learn to deal with trailering cover-less.:confused:

We have a lot of bugs up here and all it takes is 1 45 min trip at night and your spending a lot ot time scaping a ton of bugs off the tower. IMO covering is nessesary up here even for short trips.

I guess my point of this post is that according to information that came with the cover (DVD), they imply it is designed and durable for trailering, but other documentation and the dealer contradict what the DVD implies. To me this is very misleading. Even when I ordered the boat, the work order does not state travel or Mooring. If the "Cover" is only intended for morring , then that should be stated on the order sheet - otherwise what is not said is anyones take.

bjames
07-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Besides, I guess I am a little ticked that I selected the full cover so that I didnt have to get a custom one made. I already gone that route with my Moomba, their not cheap.

mzimme
07-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Another idea might be to just have a cover made that wraps around the tower and snaps together. Almost like the bimini boot, but for your tower. That way, you don't have to have the full cover on risking damage, but you keep the bugs off the tower, and don't spend the money on a full custom cover.

scott023
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Another idea might be to just have a cover made that wraps around the tower and snaps together. Almost like the bimini boot, but for your tower. That way, you don't have to have the full cover on risking damage, but you keep the bugs off the tower, and don't spend the money on a full custom cover.

That, or he could look at getting some speakersox. Mine do the trick quite nicely. They make covers for the speakers, racks and light bars.

http://www.speakersox.com/home.htm

ddanenberger
07-18-2012, 12:03 PM
I guess I am missing the point. Who better to make a form fitting cover than the factory. I have a '12, the cover is definately a custom fit. a huge improvement over the '10's and '11's.

As for it's purpose... It is called a towable cover and I would make the assumtion that was the intention...IE if it were intended to be a morring cover, they would call it a mooring cover.

cdcarve
07-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Any cover will scratch any boat at 70 mph. If the boat is white you may not see them. If the boat is black you certainly will. You can line the cover with soft fluffy stuff to stop it from scratching-but that stuff will hold moisture. You can add snaps...I don't want snaps on my boat. I use 4 inch wide painters tape anywhere the cover will touch gel. Take it off as soon as you get where you are going.

bjames
07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I guess I am missing the point. Who better to make a form fitting cover than the factory. I have a '12, the cover is definately a custom fit. a huge improvement over the '10's and '11's.

As for it's purpose... It is called a towable cover and I would make the assumtion that was the intention...IE if it were intended to be a morring cover, they would call it a mooring cover.

ABSOLUTLY... this is my point exactly.

JohnE
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I've towed extensively with my ratcheting style factor cover on. I have black gel above the rubrail. And the cover when I purchased in 09 was billed as a trailering cover. The small straps on the side are meant to tie cover to the loops in the trailer fenders. I can say this: On my 900 mile trip home from the dealer, there was just a very very slight rubbing in a few spots that came out with a little hand polish. After that I looked into having a soft liner sewn in. My local upholstery guy said that sewing in a liner would 'shrink' the cover about an inch. All the stitches slightly bunch the fabric together. So he said that making a cover out of car cover material then using boat cover on top is a better solution. I was in a hurry to get to another long trip so I just bought 30' of car cover material (6' wide). Cut it down the middle and I lay a strip on each side on top of the gunwale extending down below the ratchet strap. I had to cut around the tower and grab bars. Works great for me and it cost $30.

TRBenj
07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Well obviously there were better choices than the factory prior to 2012.:D

I cant speak to the new MC covers specifically, but I guess Im failing to see what the original poster is trying to accomplish.

Recommendations:
1. Try towing with the cover on. Be aware that it might scratch the gel.
2. If the gel gets scuffed up, then trailer with the cover off, or consider buying a truly trailerable cover from one of the sources referenced in this thread.
3. In the future, prior to selecting an option on a new boat, consult this website first. You can expect better information from other owners than you can from your dealer, in many cases.
4. If youre just venting, I guess thats fair- but obviously it isnt going to change anything. Get out on the new boat and enjoy it and maybe you'll forget all about the cover!

FYI, my Rankin (a truly trailerable cover) doesnt scratch the gel at 70+mph. But its a PITA to put on and I dont use it unless Im going a long distance in bad weather conditions.