PDA

View Full Version : Transmission slow to engage

tplampin
08-31-2004, 03:29 PM
I've had my 92 PS190 for eight years and the transmission has always been a bit slow to engage when shifting from neutral into forward or reverse. I bought the boat with 187 hours on it and it now has 300. I've driven other boats (old and new but not MC's) that seem to engage almost immediately after the "click" on the shift lever. Other than this I've never had any mechanical problems and had the tranny serviced regularly. Is this normal for MC's or can it be adjusted? My concern is that on rare occasions when others drive the boat they may be too aggressive at applying throttle before the boat is really in gear.

The boat is always garaged and in immaculate condition. I've got the "standard" 351 (not H/O) and "standard" transmission (Borg/Warner 1/1) I believe. Forgive the lack of specifics but I'm currently at the office so I can't verify!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
08-31-2004, 09:22 PM
My 91 ProStar takes about a second before it is engaged. I've got the same engine/tranny set-up as yours and about 250 hours. Will be interested to hear what others say.

MarkP
08-31-2004, 09:30 PM
My boat goes right in. Have yinz looked at the linkage?

JimN
08-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Try removing the shift cable(pull the metal sleeve away from the shift lever and pop it off of the ball) and shift it manually to see if it engages any faster. Your shift cable may have stretched a bit and might need adjustment.

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 06:37 AM
Have yinz looked at the linkage?

There's the fine Southern PEE AAA talkin I've been missin!

:headbang:

MarkP
09-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Have looked at:confused: