PDA

View Full Version : 02 xstar shaft and strut question

Sayiwont
07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Im looking at buying an 02 xstar that the owner says has a bent haft I assume the strut also needs replacing. This is the second time he has bent the shaft. He had the propellor replaced thinking it was the problem rhis last time and he is still getting a lot of vibrations. Is there more I should be aware/scared of? Should I turn and run away? The boat is priced below market value due to the damage. Finally is this something I should be able to do by mysel or will it have to go to the repair shop. I am mechanically inclined.

jmw
07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Replacing the shaft and strut is not that difficult and you should be able to do it yourself. I would not run from a boat with this issue but I would be cautious. I would run the boat and listen to engine in neutral revving it up for any vibrations or awkward sounds. I would also test run it in a lake even with a bent shaft to listen for noises in the transmission. If everything sounds good, plan on spending about $600 if you do it yourself. Since he replaced the prop, I'm assuming you’re getting a new prop, if not add another $400 for a total of about a $1,000. Hrkdrivr just went through this and documented his replacement in the following thread.
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48427