PDA

View Full Version : 94 Slot vs 93 no slot wake

AZDave
07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
I am now doing some skiing behind a 94 Pro Star with a powerslot, and my own 93 S&S with the 1:1 tranny. I know, how good is that?! Any way, the 94 has a little bit of spray that I notice in a headwind. My question is, how can that be with the same hull? The 94 has a 350 and the 93 a 351. Does the powerslot option, turning more rpm's cause this?

EricB
07-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Spray; please add info as to where you are noticing the spray. If it's right at the back of the boat coming from the prop rooster, then yes it can be from the prop differences. If it is coming from the sides of the boat, then one would think there could be differences in the hulls or the weight distribution.

madcityskier
07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
The WaterSkiMagazine boat buyers guide actually mentioned that in 93 they played with engine placement slightly, resulting in the stars and stripes 190 having the best slalom wakes of the 3 different 190 models offer that year, as well as less spray. They also noted that the boat was slightly slower than the other two models both at top speed and while accelerating. All these differences are noted but also said to be very minor.

east tx skier
07-16-2012, 10:08 PM
First things first, the hull is the same. With that said, as far as wake is concerned, it could be any number of factors. Like madcityskier mentioned, engine placement could be a contributing factor. As for the power slot, it is turning a bigger wheel, which will have a larger prop column. But the prop will make a difference in the wake. As for spray, shouldn't be much difference. Could be weight distribution left and right. Was there gear in the 94? Driver a big guy? More wind?

AZDave
07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
No, everything the same. The 94 has a visable spray on each side, similar to a pool aerator. You feel it at about a 6 mph headwind. I bet motor placement is the cause, and am going to measure it. The 93 wake is better. Maybe the slot option required a further aft placement, causing this slight spray. Not complaining, I mean talk about skiing behind 2 great boats! Too bad it doesn't help my skiing!

east tx skier
07-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Check the shaft angle as well. Slot may have something slightly different (though I doubt it). More shaft angle might mean more nose down underway.