PDA

View Full Version : X-35 got Hot

Lucky26
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey guys I need some advice. On the way back to launch my boat went into auto slow down due to high temp. The temp reached about 219 after I shut it down and started dropping down. When I started it at the lake house I checked for water flow and it seemed okay, but somewhere between the house and the ramp she stopped pumping. I am sure the impeller is fried, and needs changing, but My question is about engine oil and tranny fluid. Should I go ahead and change it due to high temp or am I okay? What other issues should I look for?
Do I need to be concerned about head gaskets etc.?

93Prostar190
07-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Change impeller ..... Everything else will be fine, check your exhaust hoses as they connect to the exhaust manifolds to make sure the hoses are not soft now.... You should be fine.

Lucky26
07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Change impeller ..... Everything else will be fine, check your exhaust hoses as they connect to the exhaust manifolds to make sure the hoses are not soft now.... You should be fine.

Thanks,

I appreciate the advice. I am going to dive into the repairs Tuesday morning.

Lucky26
07-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Now that it has finally stopped raining here, I have had a chance to look at what caused my boat to overheat. I found that, two bolts holding the bracket, that holds impeller housing and alternator had backed out of block causing serpentine belt to loosen and jump off. After inspecting the other bolts on the bracket I found that they were also loose.

Now I have a 2012 boat with 30 hours on it, that overheated due to bolts not being torqued as they should have been. Man I dont know if this is dealers fault or Ilmars, all I know is that I am pissed. As soon as I can I am headed back to dealer to get this straightened out. I have notified them and they are rounding up all parts that may be needed.

All you guys with 2012 boats better get with your dealers and get them to check all bolts connected with serpentine belt system.

sand2snow22
07-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Not your dealers fault. MC factory and Ilmore. Too many of these stories.....

surfacetension
07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Way too many of these stories , I don't think you can blame the dealer , they can't run thru every nut and bolt on the engine , for what I read here QC is in the toilet on these newer boats. I can't imagine spending 100K for a boat that is suppoed to be the BEST in the industry and havig all the problems I read here. While I like the look of the new boats I think as of now I will sell my X2 next year and look for a nice used Xstar. These new boats seem like a nightmare

Lucky26
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Yes, they say held to a higher standard and I truly believed that when I bought the boat.

93Prostar190
07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Dude, feeling your pain from remote ... hang in there. I know you are upset, and I would be to .... work with your dealer to get the issue resolved, they still can help to salvage the ownership experience.

It feels like your cooling item was a poor quality install at the factory level maybe even the Ilmor level. I hope they don't compensate by over-torquing the bolts in the future.

In any case ... I am the type of owner that sometimes chases fasteners with screwdrivers, socket sets as I perform maintenance on my boat .... I am always looking for something to be loose .... usually it is not .... but my OCD keeps me looking.

I am happy with the quality of my 2008 ... but I must say there were a few items that surprised me getting passed the factory QC .....

bobx1
07-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I remember when I purchased year one of a Yamaha Rhino. After a my first couple of hours, I decided that the entire unit should have been driven through a vat of Loc-Tite. Needless to say, I inspected every nut/bolt possible after that.

Not making excuses and sorry this happened.

Lucky26
07-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Took the boat to the dealer today. Reattached raw water pump, changed impeller, put on new belt and changed engine oil. After 15 minute test run, found oily residue on transom near exhaust ports. Next step is to do a leak off test on each cylinder. Man my dream of owning a high end inboard is turning into a nightmare.

Lucky26
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Cylinder leak off was good. Going home and going over motor for loose bolts.

Thrall
07-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Don't get too wound over it (would be hard after writing a check for 100k though:().
Boat will be fine. It stinks that you have to worry about tightening the bolts on a new boat, but I can say with cetainty that my '96 MC needed alot of screws and bolts tightened up when I bought it with 170hrs (prev owner just drove and winterized it, that's all, no other maint).
My 06, same thing when I bought it with less than 50hrs on it. Just so happened that neither of mine lost cooling because of it.

support
08-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I have a 2012 X 14 that is breaking serpentine belts. It appears my idler wheel is support 4 of the 6 groves on my belt. My question is: Is it easy to see if the bolts are loose or did you have to dig to find out they were loose? Thanks