PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Products

MC209
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Just curious what everybody is using to clean up their boats! I have been using Boat Bling products for the last couple years and have been having pretty good luck with it.

ntidsl
07-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Rumor has it that the Market Development Manager for Rat Juice is an MC owner.

www.ratjuice.biz

aswinter05
07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I've always thought StarBrite products did a good job. Can be expensive but there's a wide range of products for every part of your boat.

MC209
07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I've always thought StarBrite products did a good job. Can be expensive but there's a wide range of products for every part of your boat.

I have used starbrite teak oil for my swim platform, and it is by far the best teak oil I have found

aswinter05
07-17-2012, 01:30 PM
I just bought the StarBrite Teak cleaning kit for my 209. Can't wait to see how the platform turns out!

charrison327
07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
I just bought the StarBrite Teak cleaning kit for my 209. Can't wait to see how the platform turns out!

used the kit at the beginning of the season and worked really well for me. used it in conjunction with my pressure washing and worked wonders......good luck

02ProstarSammyD
07-17-2012, 07:08 PM
I've always thought StarBrite products did a good job. Can be expensive but there's a wide range of products for every part of your boat
love their vinyl cleaner for tough spots

JMann
07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Has anyone ever tried this product? http://www.rgslabs.com

I was talked into buying it at the gas station the other day after a demo to buy way more than I needed. The sales guy (I only believe 1/2 of what he says) told me it was safe to use on boat gel coats which it says on the can also. I have done some research and seen threads going both ways but mostly positive reviews that it worked well. I didn't get any of the marine version but the car version does say it is safe to use on gel coats.

Anyone ever try this stuff on their cars or boats?

orbeamlb
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Mequiar's waxes and polishes every quarter. Babe's water spot remover (as needed - hard water here in Central Texas) Babe's Boat Bright every wipedown (very slick). Babes Seat Soap followed by 303 Protectant on all the vinyl.

Keeps the old classic looking nice.

cdh11
07-18-2012, 01:05 AM
I am going to try the Performance Boat Candy, my order should be here tomorrow, have heard some good things on WakeWorld about it so I am going to give it a try.

TXX9
07-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Collinite Wax, Babes Boat Bright, and Babes Seat Saver for me.

TXX9
07-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Has anyone ever tried this product? http://www.rgslabs.com

I was talked into buying it at the gas station the other day after a demo to buy way more than I needed. The sales guy (I only believe 1/2 of what he says) told me it was safe to use on boat gel coats which it says on the can also. I have done some research and seen threads going both ways but mostly positive reviews that it worked well. I didn't get any of the marine version but the car version does say it is safe to use on gel coats.

Anyone ever try this stuff on their cars or boats?

Yep, I have used it on my boat and truck. My wife bought it for me.....from a guy at a gas station, Ha! It made the gel coat look good, but doesn't last as long as good wax. I now use Collinite wax and would never use anything else on my boat. Still like the RGS stuff for my truck every now and then, though. I have never had any problems with it. It works dang good for getting off sticker adhesive residue, tar, or bugs.

Table Rocker
07-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Collinite Wax, Babes Boat Bright, and Babes Seat Saver for me.
The Collinite Fleet Wax is my favorite. Great stuff!

cf_koch
07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
+1 for Collinite Fleet Wax. Use 303 Cleaner and 303 Protectant on interior and Amazon Teak Oil on platform. All work great for me.

MC209
08-02-2012, 01:37 PM
curious if you all that are using this collinite wax, if you are using the 885 heavy paste or the 870 liquid wax? I am going to purchase some to give it a try and want to buy the wax everybody uses/likes most!

MC209
08-02-2012, 01:38 PM
how did it work? I am going to try the Performance Boat Candy, my order should be here tomorrow, have heard some good things on WakeWorld about it so I am going to give it a try.

TLR67
08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
A retired guy from MC who re did my upolstery 10 years ago told me ONLY to use WD-40 on the vinyl... I questioned it but tried it and it has worked great... No Rips.. No tears.. No rot... He said its best to keep it Lubricated for longevity... It makes sense... Also keeps the water out somewhat... If you sit in my boat your bound to get in the water anyway so i wasnt worried about people smelling like WD...

I use Meguires for the exterior and regular Teak oil from Home Depot...

russlars
08-02-2012, 02:21 PM
curious if you all that are using this collinite wax, if you are using the 885 heavy paste or the 870 liquid wax? I am going to purchase some to give it a try and want to buy the wax everybody uses/likes most!
Use the 885 paste wax but it is very important to use the 920 fiberglass cleaner first. The 920 is a liquid and required some elbow grease but it takes off any surface residue and dirt prior to the wax. The paste wax goes on real easy and you wipe it off before it dries so the waxing is the easy part. If you do it right you will have a great shine that is very long lasting.

cdh11
08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
@MC209- The Performance Boat Candy stuff worked really well. I used the quick wax/water spot remover on the boat when it was a little dirty from travel and there were water spots on it also. It worked really well, got rid of the water spots and made the boat looked freshly waxed, and it only took a light misting and quick wipe. The vinyl cleaner worked well, I was expecting a little more cleaing power for the tougher spots, but overall worked well. The vinyl conditioner worked really well, made the vinyl look fresh and smells awesome too.

This is the first stuff I have used so it is hard to compare. I think I am going to try the Babe's line out, seems like some guys on here have had success with it. I think half the battle is doing it regularly and before anything has the chance to get baked in.

Dylan
08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Yep, I have used it on my boat and truck. My wife bought it for me.....from a guy at a gas station, Ha! It made the gel coat look good, but doesn't last as long as good wax. I now use Collinite wax and would never use anything else on my boat. Still like the RGS stuff for my truck every now and then, though. I have never had any problems with it. It works dang good for getting off sticker adhesive residue, tar, or bugs.

I too ran into someone selling that at a gas station in Vegas last weekend. I was really curious as to how it worked, but I'm always cautious about anyone with a towel and a spray bottle at a gas station.

Back on topic, I've had great success with starbrite and dollar store LA's totally awesome. I'm anxious to try some Babes Boat products too, but haven't seen them anywhere.

TommyRado
08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
So the wife and the girlies, hit the dock and now my X30 has a pretty good White scuff mark. Then to make matters worse, I got the old "I dunno" Why I otta...What would you guys recommend to take off the scuff marks (on the boat that is). It's a geal coat finish and I need some good advice!

MC209
08-06-2012, 06:41 PM
So the wife and the girlies, hit the dock and now my X30 has a pretty good White scuff mark. Then to make matters worse, I got the old "I dunno" Why I otta...What would you guys recommend to take off the scuff marks (on the boat that is). It's a geal coat finish and I need some good advice!

all depends on what type of scuff it is, and how deep. you can either just buff it out or you might need to wet sand and buff it.

oldstv
08-08-2012, 10:26 AM
I was at a car show, you know the one with the old Rolls Royce and Cadillac cars from the late 1800s through the early 1900s. Cars that are well over a million bucks. I walked up on a professional detailer working on one of the cars. In his bag was a can with duct tape around it. When he realized that I was not there to compete or could not be a threat to him he gave up what was in the can. It was Pledge. He used it on tires, dash boards, rubber products, and vinyl. Oh by the way there was a blue ribbon on the car he was working on.

TLR67
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I was at a car show, you know the one with the old Rolls Royce and Cadillac cars from the late 1800s through the early 1900s. Cars that are well over a million bucks. I walked up on a professional detailer working on one of the cars. In his bag was a can with duct tape around it. When he realized that I was not there to compete or could not be a threat to him he gave up what was in the can. It was Pledge. He used it on tires, dash boards, rubber products, and vinyl. Oh by the way there was a blue ribbon on the car he was working on.

Pledge works great!!!! Kept my Dash glossy Black for 22 Years... Still looks new...

oldstv
08-13-2012, 10:53 AM
There is a guy here that has used it on the outside of his bass boats for as long as I can remember.
His boats look as good as any I have seen. I always kinda snubbed my nose at it until I saw the guy at the car show using it. That go my attention.

MikeyOrange88
09-04-2012, 11:15 PM

Pledge is what I use most of the time on my white/dark blue '88 Tristar 190. Wash off the scum line and rinse the river water off the boat, then follow by towel drying. Then, I just spray lemon pledge on pretty much everything and rub it in. I use it on the fiberglass, rub rail, the seats, rubber dashboard material, and also the windshield.

Had a solid red '82 Bayliner (yeah, I know, Ever hear the saying "Buy you last boat first") for 16 years and used Lemon Pledge on it religiously. It looked as good as the day that I bought it new. BTW, I picked up the habit many years ago when I asked a bass fisherman at a boat ramp how he kept his boat looking so new for its age. Yep, Lemon Pledge! It seems to keep the fiberglass moisturized, and it can also be a bit slippery, at times when walking on it.