PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Lake?

rkhodges21
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
I love the water just like many of you guys, and we all have that one spot that we would rather be than any other. So I would like to know what your favorite lake is and what lakes you have been on. Feel free to post pics and compare/contrast the lakes you have seen. I may just try to pay a visit to your lake one day.

Most of the lakes I have been on have been either in TN or KY, but while I was on coop in Stuttgart, AR, I did a little bit of hunting and fishing on the Arkansas river. My family has a small cabin on Center Hill, and I love to be there (I will try to get a pic of the place), but but that lake is really starting to get crowded. My favorite lake that I have been on thus far would have to be Dale Hollow. I love the clear waters.

Other lakes I have been on:

TN:

Old Hickory
Percy Priest (once only to fish)
Cheatham Lake (predominantly Hudgens Slough during duck season)
Cordell Hull
Great Falls Lake (Rock Island area)
Chickamauga Lake
I have also been to Norris Lake, but never actually boated on it.

KY:

Lake Barkley
Kentucky Lake
Barren River

I have a kinda short list, but I don't think I left any out. I hope to expand my lake list in the near future.

DJ 50
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I love Beaver Lake AR. Very clear, at least on the dam side, and never over crowded.

H20BOY
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Lake Ouachita is amazing. I drive 5 1/2 hours to get there and drive over 4 other lakes, but it is worth the trip every time.

rkhodges21
07-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Ok. so not too far from Fayetteville. One of my fellow coops went to school in Fayetteville, DJ.

I was looking at a map and realized that I went fishing on the old part of the Arkansas River on the opposite side of the river from the Arkansas Post canal. Some coworkers took me down there fishing, then I went bowfishing one night down there with some friends. that was an interesting body of water. It was very calm, because it was basically a an oxbow lake but its lower end was still connected to the main river so its depth would vary from the back flow from the main channel. You could only get to the river by boat though if the water got up high enough to get over a rock dam that was about 600 yards from its connection to the river. Lots of gar and buffalo fish in there.

I also got to ride the White River in AR as well. A guy from work took me deer hunting and the easiest way to get to the spot was by boat. He killed a deer and we drug it into the boat and took it back to the truck. As a native of Robertson County, TN, that was a first for me.

onejdgreen
07-16-2012, 05:27 PM
My favorite lake is clear, cool, and calm. Not to mention, doesnt allow jetskiers, tubers, or wallys... BUT since that is near impossible to find, my favorite lake is a secret. A couple people on here know where it is...

93Prostar190
07-16-2012, 06:32 PM
The one I am on , on any given day.

DJ 50
07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
My favorite lake is clear, cool, and calm. Not to mention, doesnt allow jetskiers, tubers, or wallys... BUT since that is near impossible to find, my favorite lake is a secret. A couple people on here know where it is...

Want to give us a hint on what state and area it's in?

Nick911
07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
BC Canada, Shuswap Lake! Kalamalka Lake close second.

GoneBoatN
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Lake Shasta, CA. Going to be there next week. Warm water. Calm water can easily be found up one of the river arms.

phickman
07-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Parksville Lake aka Lake Ocoee in TN.

dvsone79
07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Lewis Smith Lake, AL. Clean, deep water. Protected from the wind by trees and hills. Long, sprawling fingers where there's always smooth water to be found.

gts-20
07-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Lake Austin, Tx.

onebadrubi
07-17-2012, 12:09 AM
My favorite would probably have to be Lake Ouachita in Arkansas, and if not right up there a close second would be beaver lake in Arkansas. Greers ferry and Lake Degray are the next. If I am not up for wakeboards and just hanging out Lake Hamilton is good in Hot Springs, Ar.

I drove right by lake cumberland last weekend. Very beautiful country up there. I hope to visit Norris in the next couple years.

Brian B
07-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Navajo Lake southwest Colorado/New Mexico

Lake Powell Arizona/Utah

Apache Lake, AZ

Meeker
07-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Lake Powell for sure.

LaRue
07-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Big Sand Lake in the spectacular state of Minnesota81635

19_Skier
07-17-2012, 07:36 AM
My favourite lake is where my MC and ski are all summer - Davis Lake, Ontario, Canada. every morning and every evening, pure glass.

bret
07-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Greers Ferry in Arkansas. We've finally gotten most of the wallys to understand what a slalom course is and we've only lost two buoys all year!!!! Since it is public and we do a permit with the COE to the course at Sandy Beach, we have a few ski issues but if we get up early we can ski until 9:30, even 11 the other morning before other boaters finally came into the cove; we park most of the boats at the entrance to the cove and if someone is skiing, most will head the other way and come back later, most of the locals know we're usually done around 10.

If ever over in the Hot Springs area, don't discount Lake Catherine for smooth glass during the week. It winds from Remmel damn to the damn on Lake Hamilton, don't ski past the old church camp as water starts getting very COLD quickly from the Hamilton damn but you can always find glass there! So if you're coming from the South, don't pass up Catherine however accommodations for hotels are in Malvern or Hot Springs, then 15 minutes to launch. Quachita is beautiful and Greers and Quachita are always in contest to which is cleaner and more clear LOL!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/members/ski-albums-slalom-picture16429-slalom.jpg

onejdgreen
07-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Big Sand Lake in the spectacular state of Minnesota81635

Awesome lake!!! When are you heading back up there?

pmkkdx
07-17-2012, 08:24 AM
mine would have to be Lake LBJ, middle of the Highland Lakes, Central Texas Hill Country. Picture taken this past Sunday late afternoon up the Colorado river.

kskonn
07-17-2012, 09:15 AM
I love the lake I live on, lake placid TX. Primarily a wakeboarding lake, not very big a number pro wake boarders that you can get advice and tips from.

If I am not at my lake I really also enjoy Lake Austin and Lake LBJ.

mzimme
07-17-2012, 09:44 AM
I love the Lake of the Ozarks.

There's plenty of good coves with nice water, there's a plethora of bars/restaruants along the water, there's some amazing houses all along the shore line, there's an incredible social life if you're into that, and its big enough that you can do really whatever you want to do. Nothing quite like the Ozarks that I've seen yet.

bkblaida
07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
The White Fish chain of lakes in Crosslake, MN.......8 lakes, all channeled together totaling 141,000 acres of crystal clear bliss.

rkhodges21
07-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Question for you Southern MO and Northern AR guys. How is Table Rock Lake? It looks like it is formed from the same river that Beaver Lake is on. There is a resort on Table Rock that I was thinking about visiting sometime in the near future.

mzimme
07-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Question for you Southern MO and Northern AR guys. How is Table Rock Lake? It looks like it is formed from the same river that Beaver Lake is on. There is a resort on Table Rock that I was thinking about visiting sometime in the near future.

Table Rock is great... it's like the ozarks, but not as busy and much cleaner. Been there many weekends. What resort are you looking at?

rkhodges21
07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Table Rock is great... it's like the ozarks, but not as busy and much cleaner. Been there many weekends. What resort are you looking at?

Its the Big Cedar Wilderness Club. Its a resort owned by the BlueGreen timeshare company. My in-laws own BlueGreen and my wife and I have used there membership to book some condos in the past with good luck, so I would like to try to go there sometime thru their membership.

Red 08 Xstar
07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Lake Billy Chinook outside of Madras, OR. Very similar to Lake Shasta but the water level never drops during the summer.

DJ 50
07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Its the Big Cedar Wilderness Club. Its a resort owned by the BlueGreen timeshare company. My in-laws own BlueGreen and my wife and I have used there membership to book some condos in the past with good luck, so I would like to try to go there sometime thru their membership.

I have never been to Big Cedar however my wife has been there years ago. She loves it and is constantly trying to get me to go there. She speaks VERY highly of it.

broncotw
07-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Here is beautiful Lake Dunlop in Central Texas...

This is my home base....

However, I give a second vote for Lake Ausitn, Texas!!! My absolute Favorite!!!

DJ 50
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I love the Lake of the Ozarks.

There's plenty of good coves with nice water, there's a plethora of bars/restaruants along the water, there's some amazing houses all along the shore line, there's an incredible social life if you're into that, and its big enough that you can do really whatever you want to do. Nothing quite like the Ozarks that I've seen yet.

By no means my favorite lake but if you want to party then I agree that Ozarks is where it's at. At least in the midwest. mzimme, where in KC are you at? I live up near liberty at 152 and 435.

mzimme
07-17-2012, 02:29 PM
By no means my favorite lake but if you want to party then I agree that Ozarks is where it's at. At least in the midwest. mzimme, where in KC are you at? I live up near liberty at 152 and 435.

I'm in the Briarcliff area... 169 and I29 area.

I'm usually out on Smithville lake every weekend if you're ever up there.

AZX9
07-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Lake Havasu for Holidays. Just south on the Colorado river on the Parker strip otherwise.

Footin
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Lake Cumberland.

onebadrubi
07-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Greers Ferry in Arkansas. We've finally gotten most of the wallys to understand what a slalom course is and we've only lost two buoys all year!!!! Since it is public and we do a permit with the COE to the course at Sandy Beach, we have a few ski issues but if we get up early we can ski until 9:30, even 11 the other morning before other boaters finally came into the cove; we park most of the boats at the entrance to the cove and if someone is skiing, most will head the other way and come back later, most of the locals know we're usually done around 10.

If ever over in the Hot Springs area, don't discount Lake Catherine for smooth glass during the week. It winds from Remmel damn to the damn on Lake Hamilton, don't ski past the old church camp as water starts getting very COLD quickly from the Hamilton damn but you can always find glass there! So if you're coming from the South, don't pass up Catherine however accommodations for hotels are in Malvern or Hot Springs, then 15 minutes to launch. Quachita is beautiful and Greers and Quachita are always in contest to which is cleaner and more clear LOL!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/members/ski-albums-slalom-picture16429-slalom.jpg

Where is this at on Greers Ferry. I normally put in at Devils Fork and go past hill creek or put in at Choctaw.

Wouldn't mind meeting up with you guys.

DJ 50
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm in the Briarcliff area... 169 and I29 area.

I'm usually out on Smithville lake every weekend if you're ever up there.

I know the area. We almost bought a banked owned property there, that's the only way I could afford the BriarCliff area. I'm a cop in KC. We are going to have to hook up at Smithville sometime.

BrianT
07-17-2012, 11:45 PM
BC Canada, Shuswap Lake! Kalamalka Lake close second.

I agree 100% with both!

Latin Flyer
07-18-2012, 02:07 AM
The one i grew up in Argentina, we use to call it "The Barefoot Cathedral".
5 minutes from the busiest rivers, but nerarly impossible to find the entrance.
Only a few hard core barefooters new about it.
No river, lake, course anything has surpase the cathedral ever, in quality of skiing and memories!

I tried to go back a couple of years ago, but after over 20 years of current the entrance was to low to get in.

I,m sure with time i could figure out a way to get bak in!

bret
07-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Sandy Beach/Heber Springs Marina cove.

Ironhorse
07-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Christina Lake in BC Canada.

Huskie05
07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Powell!!!!!!!

mzimme
07-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I know the area. We almost bought a banked owned property there, that's the only way I could afford the BriarCliff area. I'm a cop in KC. We are going to have to hook up at Smithville sometime.

Sounds like a plan.

There's actually a KCMO cop that lives down the street. Not sure of his name though. If you ever see a stars and stripes out on smithville, it's most likely me. I haven't seen another one yet. I also have a fly high pole on it most of the time.

StrmChzr
07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Upper end of Table Rock Lake - crystal clear water, beautiful surroundings, and MINIMAL BOATERS!

I dig it!!!

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7235/trock.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/trock.jpg/)

84starsandstripes
07-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Our house is on Paw Paw Lake in Michigan, the size is absolutely awesome but it can get pretty busy.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg638/AstonMartinOne77/photo.jpg

onebadrubi
07-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Sandy Beach/Heber Springs Marina cove.

Wake boarders welcome or frowned upon?

BoulderX45
07-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Banks Lake in Eastern Washington with Lake Roosevelt a close 2nd.

mzimme
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Upper end of Table Rock Lake - crystal clear water, beautiful surroundings, and MINIMAL BOATERS!

I dig it!!!

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7235/trock.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/trock.jpg/)

I do love Table Rock... I just wish they allowed private docks.

CO2006X-30
07-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Navajo is just past Wolf Creek Pass, on the Colorado Side. It stretches almost 20 miles into New Mexico. The Lake is never crowded. Beautiful!!! Don't tell anyone ;-)

rkhodges21
07-19-2012, 01:18 PM
What do you guys think would be the smallest sized lake you would want to be on if you were gonna be the only boat on it?

CO2006X-30
07-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Pic attached

rkhodges21
07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Pic attached

The only problem with this pic is not enough Mastercrafts lol.

orbeamlb
07-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Lake Austin and for change of pace, Lake Georgetown