PDA

View Full Version : Custom Distributor Shaft

Master Earl Craft
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
A couple of weeks ago I posted an issue I had with trying to replace my "stock" prestolite distributor (Indmar 285hp 351W Ford HO) with a Mallory replacement. All numbers match up, but when I pulled the prestolite to install the mallory I noticed the shaft length difference. (See Photos) No one at Indmar or Mallory can explain. My belief is a custome oil pump with a shorter shaft, therefore the need for an extension. Any thoughts???:confused:

thatsmrmastercraft
07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
There is nothing unique about a Prestolite distributor. The Mallory unit must be labelled wrong.

Master Earl Craft
07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Had a buddy who did the same thing and he showed me the stock dist he took out and it was shorter than the prestolite I have. I too thought the Mallory was mis-labeled, but it was not. Notice the different material at the end of the prestolite shaft (below the gear). I've never seen anything like that before. Thoughts?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
I sure haven't seen everything, but this is completely new to me. How much difference in length do you have? It would have been interesting to see both distributors together.

Master Earl Craft
07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
The old Prestolite is 1/2" longer than the new Mallory. The difference in length is the different color of metal in the photo. Now I'm having a hard time getting clear direction out of Pertronix on what model Ignitor II I need to replace the elect ignition. I figured if I can't replace the distributor, I'd at least put a new elect ign and a new coil in.

SilviaMan
07-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Have you tried to contact a local machine shop / performance shop? Sometimes these guys will have an idea of what is going on.

SilviaMan
07-17-2012, 10:00 AM
quick google search turned this up:
http://www.fishtheclassic.net/forums/showthread.php?23391-New-Distributor-for-the-351W&

thatsmrmastercraft
07-17-2012, 11:28 AM
quick google search turned this up:
http://www.fishtheclassic.net/forums/showthread.php?23391-New-Distributor-for-the-351W&

That makes perfect sense.

Master Earl Craft
07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Now I need to find out from someone which part number distributor is for the EFI engine. According to the boys at Indmar, they never built a 351W EFI. All I can figure is that Ford sent them a block with the EFI oil pump and they just went ahead and used an EFI distributor even though the motor was carbureted. Pretty darn confusing. What I would like to see (and no one at Indmar or Mallory can provide) is a cross reference directly from the Prestolite dizzy to the direct Mallory replacement. Prestolite # is F0JL12100CA.