PDA

View Full Version : 4 blade over a 3 blade for wakeboarding?

sanddragon2004
08-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I was wondering whats the advantage of a 4 blade, over a 3 blade prop?

I have heard that they will hold speed better when pulling a wakeboarder? is that true, or a myth?

I was thinking of selling my spare and trying a 4 blade but dont want to bother with all that trouble if theirs no advantage????

east tx skier
08-26-2005, 04:50 PM
With hand finished props, there's an advantage. More hole shot, smoother ride, but with a slight loss of top end 1 to two mph. With CNC'd props, a three blade purports to perform as good in the low end and smoothness department as well as a four blade with no loss of top end.

Now, for wakeboarding, there may be reasons why a four blade is still preferable. A call to Acme (Bill) or OJ (Eric) will provide you with better, more specific answers to your question.

ssippiriverrat
08-26-2005, 04:53 PM
I was wondering whats the advantage of a 4 blade, over a 3 blade prop?

I have heard that they will hold speed better when pulling a wakeboarder? is that true, or a myth?

I was thinking of selling my spare and trying a 4 blade but dont want to bother with all that trouble if theirs no advantage????

I am the one you probably heard that from--I posted that a little while back--I think that it really holds speed better around 20-22 and actually I think my top end performance is better although I have heard that it isn't supposed to be as good at top speed. I would go for it--but I don't really have any evidence besides feel.

chathamsolutions
08-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Seriously, call Bill at Acme. He'll set you straight. And give you specifics for YOUR boat, and how YOU will be driving it.

And then tell you to go and buy it from someone else.

AHudgins
08-27-2005, 06:50 PM
I can only speak for the OJ prop. I have owned 3 MasterCrafts, a 1979 19ft, a 1987 Prostar Powerslot, and I now have a 1995 Maristar 200. Ever since I swapped out the stock 3 blade on my 1979, I have put the OJ four blade on every boat I have owned. I put the OJ four blade XMP on my Maristar, and it is well worth the money. The hole shot is quick, I actually picked up about 2 MPH on the top end, and the prop runs as smooth as silk, very, very quite. I had my 3 blade rebuilt to the closest tolerance available but there is just no comparison. I keep the 3 blade in the boat in case I need an anchor. The XMP does make the throttle very responsive, it is very easy to keep the boat at a constant speed, even at wakeboard speed with the boat loaded down.

Crash
08-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Ditto what AHuggins said. Love the 4 blade OJ vs 3 blade OJ, wouldn't go back to 3 OJ for any reason. What East Tx said is what I've been hearing alot lately regarding CNC, but I haven't tried it yet.

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 12:17 AM
So, with the OJ 4 blades, you guys are gaining speed????

Crash
08-28-2005, 12:24 AM
For me, wind waves, load, all taken into consideration +/- 2 mph, its too close to call.

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to make some phone calls also!