PDA

View Full Version : 2000 prostar 205v

ray-man
07-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Engine does not have top speed performance only gets to 30mph and has has little power when skiing but starts and runs at low speed
. Any thoughts?

Rossterman
07-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Which engine? I know folks have had fuel pump problems in which the line from the pump to the attachment becomes kinked stopping fuel flow. Suggest checking fuel rail pressure under load to see if it is in specs. Also make sure to check to see if the throttle is fully opening. Finally, what rpm is it running up to when at full throttle?

ray-man
07-17-2012, 08:13 AM
I have an indmar 5.7L RPM gets to 3000 +- the throttle is wide open end of last season doing 50 MPR+ and great out of the hole pickup. I think it's gas related. The silve can on top of gas tank looks as though it could be a gas filter (is it?). Small black tube coming out of this unit into gas tank has a small kink. I do not have the instrument to check gas line pressure. I'll inquire about getting one from a friend. where can i get (and identify) a gas filter. Also, can't find a rebuild kit for the rodchester TBI carburetor, any haelp?

mtajpa
07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
If it ran fine last year and you winterized it you may have forgot to connect the knock sensor wire back on. The knock sensor is removed during the winterization process to drain the block. If your motor is an LTR the sensor is located near the starter on the block. It shoud have a wire coming off of it. Give it a look.

Rossterman
07-18-2012, 01:08 AM
The black line that is kinked is what I was referring to. On the very bottom is the filter. Some have posted pics of the pump and filter assay on the forum. I haven't heard of too many filters so plugged to prevent flow but if looks dirty , might be worth replacing. I'd focus on the kinked hose as the likely culprit. You can replace with a fuel line but needs to be service rated to be immersed in fuel (can't just use gas hose). Someone posted what specific hose is needed so you can find something will work.

Only thing that can go wrong on the tbi is the injectors and associated sensors like air idle solenoid. They are GM parts so can usually be bought cheaper at your local auto parts store.