PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Prostar 190 dies

outragesteve
07-16-2012, 03:36 AM
My 351 engines stops running about 2-3 minutes after I initially start it. I'm a mechanic and this has me stumped! It is in the ignition. 12 volts is fine on the coil: I just simply lose spark. New cap, new rotor, 2 different coils, and the problem now is so bad I can't use the boat. The distibutor is a Prestolite, screw down cap, electronic. I do not knowif this is a conversion from points prior to me purchasing the boat. I'm convinced the problem is in the electronic module within the distributor. Should I replace just the module? Has anyone used one from "Hot Spark"? ($69.00) or should I go with a Petronix. If so, I would like to use the coil I just bought from Napa (internal resistor) Thanks for the help!

slushpup
07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Are you veiwing the spark disappear somehow? what happens when you crank it after it dies? most electronic ignitions I have seen just die, Not really intemittent.

east tx skier
07-17-2012, 09:33 AM
If for some reason you decide it is not spark related, check the antisiphon valve on top of the gas tank. They have a tendency to gum up with varnish. The boat will start, idle, but will soon die (sooner if you get on the throttle). After about 15 seconds of not running, it will start again and repeat the process. Very frustrating, but a cheap and easy fix if that is, indeed, the culprit.

outragesteve
07-22-2012, 02:28 PM
It runs! Problem was the distribuitor. I sourced a new Mallory replacement module and the engine started right up. Easy to repace, 2 screws, pull off the rotating sensor, hook up wiring. I checked the timing and it was slightly advanced from previous setting. Back on the water!