PDA

View Full Version : 1993 PS 190 New Interior - by Viper

Ryan
07-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I thought I'd give a shout out for Jim at Viper Customs. I shipped the boat down to get a new intrerior with creative direction summarized as:

Objective: replace all carpet and vinyl with a more modern design
Design: Use the 2001-04 PS 190 design as a style guide
Colors: lighter grey than current, trim in medium grey with silver and black carbon fiber on the engine cover and accents. No TEAL.

First time I wrote a creative brief for something I spent MY money on. I'm happy with the work and the price. Carl did the vinyl worked and at MC for eons before going to Viper.

The were a few misses in some details I asked for driven by communication gaps from employee turnover, and Jim is running a hoppin' business down there. But, I'm pleased they were able to turn the project around in two weeks in the middle of summer.

For the day I go to sell, I'm curious to see what you all think of the final work.

Before Pics, yes that's black duct tape on the engine cover.

Ryan
07-16-2012, 12:29 AM
After - the engine cover design worked out differently than a '01. It's a unique morph of a '01 and a '98. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I think it worls well to blend the eras and definitely meets my objective to modernize the design. :D

Ryan
07-16-2012, 12:30 AM

Ryan
07-16-2012, 12:46 AM
I ordered this Grant steering wheel, but it arrived after we left for a ski/camping trip. I'll get a pic of the dash once I get it installed. It requires converting from a 5 bolt to 6 bolt.

Ryan
07-16-2012, 12:47 AM
The thing I might be enjoying the most is how nice the carpet is on the feet vs the smashed flat original.

psychobilly
07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Dude that is SAWEET!!!!

jasonba1
07-16-2012, 08:41 AM
your boat looks awesome jim and carl at viper do great work

Ryan
07-16-2012, 01:06 PM
The back of the driver's seat has black and sliver carbon texture to match the engine cover.

mzimme
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
that looks great!

ttu
07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
looks great. do you happen to know if he offers the new vinyl that mc is using?

Ryan
07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
looks great. do you happen to know if he offers the new vinyl that mc is using?

I believe so, if you're talking about the hammered other newer texture. I'm not sure about the new stretchy/neoprene looking stuff, though. Give Jim a call.

jasonba1
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
He does offer all of the new materials

east tx skier
07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Looks great, Ryan!

Double D
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Thats Purdy!!!! Nice work!

ntidsl
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Just emailed them about having sme custom work done for me. I want to do a custom ski locker hatch. Thanks for the info!!!!

jasonba1
07-16-2012, 04:49 PM
you can also try and call him at 865-388-4096

O2BESOHUGE
07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Man That Looks Awesome!

mattb
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM

This looks awesome! Can you explain what you did there with the motorbox vent/cupholders? I really like the look of it and the vent itself doesn't age the best.

DooSPX
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I ordered this Grant steering wheel, but it arrived after we left for a ski/camping trip. I'll get a pic of the dash once I get it installed. It requires converting from a 5 bolt to 6 bolt.

Ryan, glad to see you when with that wheel!!!! I know I dragged my feet getting it and getting the pictures up for you. sorry about that. I cannot wait to see what it looks like! And the interior looks great!

Ryan
07-16-2012, 08:39 PM
This looks awesome! Can you explain what you did there with the motorbox vent/cupholders? I really like the look of it and the vent itself doesn't age the best.

I asked what was possible for restoring the old device. I knew a thin vinyl could be steamed, adhered and wrapped over the two pieces and drop in SS cupholders but had concern for endurance of adhesive to keep a vinyl overlay in the contoured bevel around the edge.

Carl agreed it wouldn't last and offered to build a trim piece wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. We discussed merits of a vent and hardware options available. I chose to run without it since no newer boats have vents and sealing it would make the back seat db a little better for conversations between backseat riders and driver. With a 600 cfm carb, I wondered if there would still be enough air for the engine to breathe and did have the old device sent back just in case or could easily add a new aluminum vent. There's no shortage of air flow from the rear vents, skied it right after delivery and it ran just like it did before.

Here's a closeup.

Ryan
07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Ryan, glad to see you when with that wheel!!!! I know I dragged my feet getting it and getting the pictures up for you. sorry about that. I cannot wait to see what it looks like! And the interior looks great!

No problem. Now it's a race to see who can get it on first! You've got a headstart as Jeg's won't get me the adapter plate for a week. Amazon Prime has spoiled my patience.

DooSPX
07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Ha! I few other projects in the works before I get the wheel. So, I will be watching closely to see how it looks! I'm sure it will look awesome.

madcityskier
07-17-2012, 01:14 AM
That looks amazing. Very nice work.

Jeffer
07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
I'll second and third all the comments. Great job and I love the color choices!
Well done.

O2BESOHUGE
07-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Very Nice And Clean...nice Colors!

mwg
07-17-2012, 01:00 PM
No problem. Now it's a race to see who can get it on first! You've got a headstart as Jeg's won't get me the adapter plate for a week. Amazon Prime has spoiled my patience.

Beautiful job on the interior and I love the wheel.. what adapter plate is needed?

Thanks

Ryan
07-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Beautiful job on the interior and I love the wheel.. what adapter plate is needed?

Thanks

I tried to find a new 19 splined 6 bolt hub, but haven't been successful. Most hubs only cost $25-30 and figured it's the best solution. I called Grant and they reco'd this adapter http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/4009/10002/-1" (http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/4009/10002/-1). Jeg's had the lowest price at $20.

I found this one on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hub-Adaptor-Momo-steering-wheel-19-spline-hub-6bolt-/360341856204?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e60c5fcc)but don't have measurements on my hub to compare (boat's 30 min away in storage). But then I'd want to paint it... so I went with Grant's reco for the adapter to keep my life simple.

DooSPX
07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Can't wait to see the wheel, be sure to post a picture once you get it installed.

Ryan
07-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Can't wait to see the wheel, be sure to post a picture once you get it installed.

Ugh. Slight delay there Doo. The one I bought came with a cracked bezel. Now I need to return it and order another.

Ryan
07-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I started shopping again while going to order another steering wheel. I planned to just get the same 457-1, but am starting to think it may be a little more bling than my PS 190 should have. I found a Gussi Italia that retains the double down-rod design but has a sport look that better matches my PS IMO. And the matte aluminum will match the pylon and design better. I knew the 457 Grant was used by Supra for a couple of years, turns out they used both of my preferred wheels.

I found a guy selling an '03 PS steeering wheel. If I don't hear back from him tomorrow I'm going make one last ditch effort and see what a '01-09 PS wheel costs from a dealer. Probably and arm and a leg. If someone knows who made that wheel, let me know. I've done a fair amount of searching and I'm not finding a match. There are some cool three spoke wheels that are closer to the '10+ wheels too. Funny, I knew exactly what I wanted for the vinyl design, but picking a wheel? Not as much.

If you were upgrading which would you put in your boat?

hewlett6621
07-22-2012, 02:18 AM
I love your interior it looks amazing. I am interested in how you have Not used a vent in your engine box. How does it all run with out one? Does the engine run any hotter and how about restarts. I'm asking as I'm thinking of running mine without a vent as well. All the newer boats don't seem to have them. I'm not sure what to do.

Ryan
07-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I love your interior it looks amazing. I am interested in how you have Not used a vent in your engine box. How does it all run with out one? Does the engine run any hotter and how about restarts. I'm asking as I'm thinking of running mine without a vent as well. All the newer boats don't seem to have them. I'm not sure what to do.

It has run the exact same. That includes dozens of stops & starts with 3/4 of my kids learning now. The one thing I haven't evaluated is stopping to swim/eat for an hour and going again. I've never had hot start problems, even with my 4010 carb that's known for such antics. I run the blower as directed.

Redstorm
07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
I have been lookin at the same grant wheel and now that I saw it in the photos I think it ads a touch of class with a custom look. I decided to go with it and goin stainless cup holders. I can see it all comin together with the teak platform. I have a 2001 205v. But then again art is in the eyes of the beholder! Upholstery job turned out sweet! Nicely done!

Ryan
07-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I have been lookin at the same grant wheel and now that I saw it in the photos I think it ads a touch of class with a custom look. I decided to go with it and goin stainless cup holders. I can see it all comin together with the teak platform. I have a 2001 205v. But then again art is in the eyes of the beholder! Upholstery job turned out sweet! Nicely done!

Post up some pics. I'd love to see how it turns out. I finally got my new wheel and will get some pics up soon. I've got a growing list of things to finish on the boat and might have to do some of them once we get to Norris. I've got a lot to do for work and grad school this week.

Install:
new raw water pump
rebuilt carb (should get here Thurs, just in time)
fuel sending unit
new steering wheel
new bungee cords for the airboom racks

TayMC197
08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Might have been asked, but how long did it take from the time you shipped it to the time you recieved it?

Double
08-02-2012, 07:03 PM
that interior looks fantastic. congrats!

Ryan
08-03-2012, 02:12 AM
Plan for 2 weeks. I shipped down 6/27 and received it back on 7/14, including some down time for the 4th. They didn't really get started until 7/6. There was a delay with the carpet otherwise they would have had it done faster.

Barefooter92
08-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Ryan: That looks fantastic! Best job I have seen yet. How far did you ship and how. I will look them up, for future reference.

Hrkdrivr
08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
That is, hands down, the sharpest interior re-do I've seen! Wow. Congrats!

johng91190ts
08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a 91 Tri-Star and would love to have this done to mine. what was the total cost?

TLR67
08-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Looks Awesome Man!!!

ntidsl
08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Emailed these guys 3 times...no reply...I moved on!

DooSPX
08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
which wheel did you decide on Ryan?

johng91190ts
08-09-2012, 11:27 PM
How much was total cost?

Ryan
08-10-2012, 01:35 AM
which wheel did you decide on Ryan?

I'll have to get some pics up.
I stayed within the design theme of a more modern MC and picked the wheel used on '02-08 prostars. I also ordered the center cap used on '03-08 but didn't have time to get longer ss allen screws before I came to Norris TN.

$$$
It was less than $3k. For anyone interested in the full cost, contact Viper Customs for a quote. I respect them enough to not get into the details here.

curtish
08-10-2012, 02:36 AM
I'll have to get some pics up.
I stayed within the design theme of a more modern MC and picked the wheel used on '02-08 prostars. I also ordered the center cap used on '03-08 but didn't have time to get longer ss allen screws before I came to Norris TN.

$$$
It was less than $3k. For anyone interested in the full cost, contact Viper Customs for a quote. I respect them enough to not get into the details here.

Wow, that looks great. Did you have them do everything (boat at their shop)? Or did you just ship the cushions to them? Or just the skins?

Edit: I answered my question, guess I should have read that more carefully. I think they did you right. I though it would be more than $3 for all that work. Looks really good.

jasonba1
08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
jim and carl at viper have done 3 boats for me and will be doing another this winter you cant go wrong they always do great work and also are very creative if you want to do a custom look

Patsfan
08-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Nice Work Guys!

Ryan
08-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Ryan: That looks fantastic! Best job I have seen yet. How far did you ship and how. I will look them up, for future reference.

Barefooter, I chose transporters on Uship.com. It was 300 miles each way and cost $300 down and $250 back. I paid more on the initial delivery to get someone that met my tight schedule. It was a net wash for me to drive back and forth twice and saved me more than 20 hours of driving. I'm awefully short on time these days with work, grad school, a family and of course a little skiing.

Ryan
08-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Emailed these guys 3 times...no reply...I moved on!

Patience... They're busy and worth it. Did you try calling?

mcparadise
08-15-2012, 04:38 AM
About how much for this dreamer? ;-)

Ryan
08-15-2012, 05:22 AM
About how much for this dreamer? ;-)

Everything is always for sale... Send me a PM if you're really interested.

DooSPX
08-15-2012, 10:03 AM
so, how about some final pics of the new wheel and stuff?

aquaman
08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I may have missed this....can you tell us what the interior update cost....less the transport ?

Ryan
08-19-2012, 12:56 AM
so, how about some final pics of the new wheel and stuff?

Here's a rough cell pic before Norris, and right before I reattached the warning/outlet plate. I haven't had time to get the longer allen bolts to get the cool MasterCraft by Design center cap on yet.

I also have a much better performing and looking carb after sending away for a rebuild, plus new raw water pump, fuel sending unit, dock lines, replaced second mirror, hull huggers, new belt, and a spare prop. A pretty good set of self purchased birthday presents.

Last is a pic of my IU Kelley MBA classroom. If I can't be there in person, I might as well throw some parts on the boat between slides.

All I have left is to paint the valve covers, get some new speakers (notice the rear ones are now missing), repack trailer bearings and probably replace brake shoes, then it will be better than new.

Ryan
08-19-2012, 01:02 AM
I may have missed this....can you tell us what the interior update cost....less the transport ?

See post #45.

Sodar
08-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Ryan, where did you find the wheel and how much did you pay? Ebay only offers the new style wheels.

Ryan
08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Ryan, where did you find the wheel and how much did you pay? Ebay only offers the new style wheels.

This might sound like a strange answer but... give me two weeks and then I'll share where to buy.

Sodar
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Did you come across a decent lot of them somewhere!?!? :)

Kyle
10-06-2012, 01:48 AM
This might sound like a strange answer but... give me two weeks and then I'll share where to buy.

Did you come across a decent lot of them somewhere!?!? :)

Does anyone have an update on these steering wheels.

Also is there an update on the center cap in a picture.

Thanks

Sodar
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have an update on these steering wheels.

Also is there an update on the center cap in a picture.

Thanks

Anyone ever hear anything from Ryan? I think I am due for a new wheel and the outcome of this will probably help me decide which direction I go.

pram
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Man that is a fantastic looking interior job

Ryan
04-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Anyone ever hear anything from Ryan? I think I am due for a new wheel and the outcome of this will probably help me decide which direction I go.

Sorry for the lag. I've been awefully busy lately.

Steering wheels and carpet.
Long story short, I was trying to setup a business opportunity that is off the table. Instead, I can share some info to help you guys order OEM MC wheels through Syntec with model 615 '02-'08 or model 850 for '09-'11 (see catalog via link to confirm the style or opt for something more exotic). Syntec did not make the custom center caps, but they were discontinued by their makers. There is a chance to get the '09+ remade but I got options negotiated there.

Purchasing Manager
Syntec Ind http://www.syntecind.com/marine/steering-wheels/gussi-italia®-steering-wheels
706-235-1158 ext 8359

JohnE
04-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I missed this thread until now. Great looking interior and price seems extremely fair to cheap.

Ryan
09-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Just revisiting the thread. After three very stressful weeks at work, I sure wish I was going skiing this weekend...

Wingnut
09-30-2013, 08:25 AM
The interior and boat look great! nice job to you and Viper. What weight and color is the carpet? I'm headed to Viper soon. Thanks.

Waterskibum
10-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Ryan the interior looks great! Do you still have the center cap from the original steering wheel? If so I would be very interested in buying it from you. Mine is faded and cracked.
Thanks
Dave

Ryan
10-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Ryan the interior looks great! Do you still have the center cap from the original steering wheel? If so I would be very interested in buying it from you. Mine is faded and cracked.
Thanks
Dave

Nope. I never installed the fancy cap and left the original installed on the boat.

I do have a the fancy cap I'd be willing to sell.

Waterskibum
10-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Oh bummer. I wanted to buy the original 25 anniversary star cap.

96Maristar
10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
I asked what was possible for restoring the old device. I knew a thin vinyl could be steamed, adhered and wrapped over the two pieces and drop in SS cupholders but had concern for endurance of adhesive to keep a vinyl overlay in the contoured bevel around the edge.

Carl agreed it wouldn't last and offered to build a trim piece wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. We discussed merits of a vent and hardware options available. I chose to run without it since no newer boats have vents and sealing it would make the back seat db a little better for conversations between backseat riders and driver. With a 600 cfm carb, I wondered if there would still be enough air for the engine to breathe and did have the old device sent back just in case or could easily add a new aluminum vent. There's no shortage of air flow from the rear vents, skied it right after delivery and it ran just like it did before.

Here's a closeup.

Love the look of the wrap. I have been looking for an idea to dress up the cupholder recesses on our boat. The wife can do the upholstery work, she did all of it on our last boat, just need to build the form. Did you use a plastic materials to avoid warpage? How did you secure it to the base?

Ryan
10-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Love the look of the wrap. I have been looking for an idea to dress up the cupholder recesses on our boat. The wife can do the upholstery work, she did all of it on our last boat, just need to build the form. Did you use a plastic materials to avoid warpage? How did you secure it to the base?

It was screwed from the bottom or bolted (I forget which) and was a plastic board of some sort.

96Maristar
10-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Awesome thanks.

endless summer guy
11-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Any chance you want to share what something like that would cost a guy?

Ryan
11-07-2013, 12:27 AM
It cost me about $3k to have the work done, and to ship the boat from Cincinnati to Maryville, TN. I'm vague because I worked out a deal that I don't want to broadcast.

If you're serious about getting it done, give Jim a call or shoot him an email if you're shy ;)
It might take a couple of days, be patient.

endless summer guy
11-08-2013, 11:44 AM
How much does something like that run a guy ? I have a 91 I would like to have redone.

endless summer guy
11-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Sorry to resend the question. For some reason it didn't show me it sent it until I sent the second message. Your boat looks awsome. Thanks for the info.