PDA

View Full Version : Prop question

BigBarney
08-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I sent my prop/boat information to ACME and they recommended replacing my 14" 20 pitch stainless prop with their 13.5" 19.5 pitch prop. Couple of questions:

1. I researched and found out what CNC machined means. But what does nibral stand for?
2. I asked for a prop to give me a stronger holeshot and better speed control. My little pea brain tells me that a larger prop/pitch would move the boat forward quicker than a smaller prop/pitch. Even if the difference is .5 inches. How does their recommendation do this (given it is smaller in size/pitch).

Sorry for probably a redundant question, but I'm still learning about props.

east tx skier
08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Nibral = Nickle Bronze Aluminum

Less pitch, in my experience = more hole shot. Ordinarily, that also means a bit less top end. But with a CNC'd prop, you can maintain top end with a small drop in pitch.

gregg
08-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe nibral in an alloy containing nickel and brass. As brass in a fairly soft metal, the nickel makes it stronger. As far as pitch. smaller pitch is like a lower gear ratio in a differential. More rpm for the same speed. Lower pitch should result in better holeshot, but slightly lower top end.

BRAZOS 205
08-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Nibral stands for Ni Br Al, the three main elements in Nibral. Nickel Bronze Aluminum. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.

east tx skier
08-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Well, crap. So much for feeling smart today. I would like partial credit. I don't want to have to make this up in winter school.

BRAZOS 205
08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
You had it right about the Nibral, I just expanded on the brass portion. I'm only a few years out of college and I took a couple Material Science classes, at least I used that information for something. ;)

BRAZOS 205
08-26-2005, 04:46 PM
I give you an A for Affort. :)

east tx skier
08-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I'll take what I can. I'm trying to be okay with the fact that I know I've spelled it Nibril about 1,000 times in the past.

canada air
08-26-2005, 06:50 PM
do you weight your boat with tons of weight or plan to. it was recommended i go with an 14X18 on my old 95 maristar and i dropped to a 14X16 and sure am glad i did. holds speed awesome and it does not limit you when you get 8 people in your boat you can keep ballast full and still hold speed and still have good holeshot. i did notice you have the lQ9 engine but maybe you should ask them again to make sure a 14X18 would not be better route. again i am no expert. when i send mine into get repaired i may actually get them to prop down to 14X15 but i like to ride with 2500lbs