PDA

View Full Version : Dock tie down

StrmChzr
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Since buying my '05 XStar 3 months ago, I have always kept it on boat lift at our slip at the local marina near my home. Our home slip is subject to wave action, so I almost always immediately raise boat out of water and rarely tie down when I dock boat.

We are headed to the clear waters of Table Rock Lake next week for 8 days - WooHoo! My boat will be in the water the entire time and I'd like some advice regarding securing a boat to dock. The dock is in a very narrow part of the lake and will be subject to constant wave action and possibly a T-storm or two.

I have 4 airhead bungee boat straps that I am planning to secure to all four corners to hold boat in the middle of the slip. Anybody have a better way to keep boat secured to dock while in the water?

Also, even slight wave action coming towards the transom of boat cause "H20 slap" on my swim platform that raise it a few inches and is noisy. Is this normal?

Thanks for the knowledge!

mzimme
07-15-2012, 09:23 PM
With the summer we've had in this area, I wouldn't worry about any storms ;)

Line the docks with bumpers, put fenders on the boat, and use solid lines (not bungees) to tie the boat to the corners all the way around. Give it some room to move, but not enough that itll crash into the dock. If you can find a slip that's protected from the waves, it'd be worth getting down there early.

Table rock isn't too bad for waves. Not nearly what it's like in the ozarks. Just be sure you have strong rope, and good ties when you leave her!

Jerseydave
07-15-2012, 09:28 PM
^ what he said, plus you could buy 4 hippity-hops and use them as fenders.
Also criss-cross your dock lines at the stern, it will stay centered better.

If you can back your boat into the slip the wave action will hit the bow which is much better than hitting the stern.

ttu
07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
have a blast at table rock! you will love it and depending on what part of the lake i can give you good riding areas.

in re: to tie up in the slip when ever i can i try to tie my x2 in the middle of the slip. never have had a issue.

have fun!

StrmChzr
07-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Good stuff guys! I'm probably over-thinking this too much, but XStar is my baby...

We have been going to Shell Knob area at TR for 35 years to boat. Love that area and know it well, but never venture further east on lake then Baxter. We stayed at The Timbers this weekend and Hickory Hollow next week and the water was damn near perfect. I typically stay upstream of Central Crossings Bridge on Kings river branch to find the flat water.

I appreciate the replies!

Hogwild
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Good stuff guys! I'm probably over-thinking this too much, but XStar is my baby...

We have been going to Shell Knob area at TR for 35 years to boat. Love that area and know it well, but never venture further east on lake then Baxter. We stayed at The Timbers this weekend and Hickory Hollow next week and the water was damn near perfect. I typically stay upstream of Central Crossings Bridge on Kings river branch to find the flat water.

Sorry for derail but do you ever visit the ski and sport there in Shell Knob for maintenance issues? Just wondering how their service is there as I might drive all the way there to avoid the horrible service we have down here.

mzimme
07-16-2012, 09:16 AM

I stay at the Timbers usually twice a year. Great place with great access to the water. I've never had my MC down there, but the boat we usually have with us (a 270 cobalt bowrider) has never had any issues with crashing into the dock. That cove is pretty well protected, even in some ridiculous storms we've been through.

Have fun down there!

mikeg205
07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
If my boat sits in the water while on vacation I watch the weather like a hawk. If bad bad weather is moving in... boat on trailer. I don't have access to a lift. Why risk it if strong weather moves in.

73blue
07-16-2012, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Jerseydave;858475

If you can back your boat into the slip the wave action will hit the bow which is much better than hitting the stern.[/QUOTE]

I second this

surfacetension
07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I would use ropes and put your fenders out I only use the bungey as a spring line. If you can back in all the better but if not it will make a slap noise but in that case there is nothing you can do

madcityskier
07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Tie fixed ropes that will keep you just off the far side/end of the slip, then use your bungees within that length to allow it to be held in the center with some give. This will even out the yank on the cleat from the rope going completely taut, yet provide a fail safe should a bungee fail. Also x2 on backing it in if possible to prevent the platform slap.

StrmChzr
07-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Madcityskier - you've pretty much outlined my plan for overnight tie down.

I did get a chuckle from all the "back it in" replies..... I'm not even close to pulling that one off, fellas! Probably time to start a new thread on Tips when steering boat in reverse. Seriously though, I appreciate the replies.