PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on X-30 vs. X-25

jcbatt
07-15-2012, 07:30 PM
I posted a similar comparison a year or so ago on comparing the X-25 (my then current boat) to the X-15 (prior couple boats). Hopefully some will find this helpful. For background, I have owned an 07, 08, 09 X-15, 11 X-25, and now, 12 X-30.

I'll compare the 2012 X-30 to my 2011 X-25, pro package which had an MCX, attitude adjustment plate, surf tabs, heater, bimini, tower mirror, cover, and all the standard stuff. The 2012 X-30 w/ the pro package with the the base Ilmor engine, attitude adjustment plate, the ZFT 2 tower, heater, bimini, convertible rear seat, extreme mirror, walk-through wind guard, removable pylon, cover, and all the standard stuff.

Interior: I really liked the X-25 interior. The room up front was great, the storage was excellent, and the rear flip up seats were great. The X-30 interior is great too - feels a little bigger (especially from the windshield back - which is the most valuable space for us), and I am finding that I use the rear-flip seat (the one in the boat) more than I used the flip-up seats on the transom of the X-25. I really like the different layouts the flip seat in the X-30 gives, as it can completely change the feel (and utility) of the inside of the boat. The storage seems about on-par to maybe slightly better than the X-25 in real world usage. Access is a little harder under the front, due to the narrower front. I love the addition of the trash can built in, but don't like that there is no way to hold up the seat cushion over the cooler / trash can. Frankly, the little piece of aluminum on the X-25 that held up the cooler seat wasn't great either, as someone quickly bent it, and after straightening it a couple times, I eventually just took it off. The new glove box works fine, and I like the increased cubby holes on the dash. But I have one thing I really dislike about the new boat's dash (and this is probably applicable to 12 MC w/ the BIG). Not having a separate radio remote is a major drawback - I know you can mute the radio from any screen, but having to navigate back to the radio screen on the BIG to advance a track is pretty ridiculous. I find this to be a big step backwards in usability. Otherwise, I like the switches, etc and the info in the center gauge is nice. I would like a clock to be more easily accessible. Overall, both boats have very nice interiors, but I would say I prefer the X-30 a bit (the rear seat is really awesome!), IF I can add a separate radio control.

Exterior: I have never been a huge fan of the super-fly front-ends, so this boat winds hands down on looks for me. This is a very personal preference, so YMMV. I love the new lines on the X-30 - it's a very sharp looking boat in and out of the water. I do not love the new tower, and it has nothing to do with aesthetics. With the bimini up, I think it looks every bit as good as the old tower. First, it's a major step back to not have a tower mounted mirror. The last windshield mirror mount I had was on an 02 Malibu (8 boats ago). I currently have the mirror on the walkthrough glass, but that means it must be shut when towing someone, a step backwards in my view. Other locations have not worked for us for mounting (on starboard side, and its directly in the driver's eyeline - other side and you can't see enough to the starboard side). The bimini, while providing nice coverage, is much harder to take up and down than the old ones, and can't be left up with the cover on while trailering short distances (like 2 miles to the gas station). Finally, the tower does not collapse low enough - I can't get the boat into my standard garage door height-wise, whereas I have been able to on every other one. I have another garage I can use, but its more of a pain for me. Overall, I feel like the tower (and it's accessories) is a step backwards. Otherwise, I love the looks and every other part of the exterior on the X-30.

Performance: Hands down, the X-30 is much more agile than the X-25. It turns better, planes faster, and genrally feels like a smaller boat (which I consider a big plus). The X-25 is probably a touch better on rough water, but the X-30 handles much better. It feel much closer to my X-15's (which I loved the handling and performance of). The base Ilmor does a very adequate job of powering the boat. Overall, I am very happy with the performance of the X-30, and while I liked the X-25, it always felt like a bit too large of a boat in the handling department. If I lived and boated on rough water all the time, I may lean more to the X-25, but otherwise, the X-30 wins hands down, at least when comparing the base motors. I have heard the X-25 with the 6.2L does much better on the X-25, including powering out of turns better, etc.

Wake: The X-25's wake was huge, even without much ballast or weight in the boat. The X-30 also has a very nice wake, and is a little easier to dial in for surfing. I would consider both to be excellent, and call this one a tossup.

Overall, so far we are liking the X-30 a lot, and if I had to order a new boat today, I'd probably go with the X-30 again. We love all the room, functionality of the rear seat, the looks, and the handling. You can't really go wrong with either boat though, so it's nice to have such great choices. I should also add that I still loved my old X-15's, and still consider that one of the best boats MC has ever made. I'd say the X-30 is closer in feel to the X-15 than the X-25 was, just a little bigger.

Nick911
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Sure seeing alot of 30's these days. Wonder if they are selling more than the 25s?

scott023
07-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Gret information there. thanks for the info.

Stefan
07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
concerning the missing stereo remote you want to check my post here

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48788

Specter
07-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Good review jcbatt. I've always wondered how much the X-25 transom seats would get used. They look cool, though. We love the transom seat on our X-30, too. It gets a lot of use.

bjames
07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Good review jcbatt. I've always wondered how much the X-25 transom seats would get used. They look cool, though. We love the transom seat on our X-30, too. It gets a lot of use.

We use our X25 Transom seats when anchored in the shallows, or if I am teaching someone how to surf. Its nice to sit close to the rider so you can instruct them. However you have to be aware of the carbon monoxide risks.

FourFourty
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Wake: The X-25's wake was huge, even without much ballast or weight in the boat. The X-30 also has a very nice wake, and is a little easier to dial in for surfing. I would consider both to be excellent, and call this one a tossup.

I got to spend some time behind an X-30 last weekend, and your wake comments would be the only thing I don't agree with. Well.....actually, you didn't exactly specify details on the wakeboard wake.

I do agree about the surf wake.... I think the X-30 seemed to have a slightly smaller wave, but a slightly deeper pocket. (Both boats had all factory tanks full + 400lb sack in port locker, + 700lb sack in the port center area, + 2 bricks in the bow. 5 people on-board)

I hate to say it, but I think I preffered the X30 wave a little bit..... Especially considering that we have not had near as much time dialing in the wave on the 30.

Luckily for me, I mostly wakeboard, and IMO, the X-25 has a huge advantage in that department. The X-30 put out a fairly good wakeboard wake, but it was nothing like the X25 wakeboard wake (stock ballast). The 25 has a far better ramp, and has a much more solid feel to it.

501s
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Can you give more details comparing the wakeboard wakes? I haven't rode the 25 only my 30 and we found it needs more weight, in the rear especially.

Was the 25 as wide as the 30? More or less lip? Another 1500 lbs brings the 30 to life IMO.

Fab
07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
never had luck to test ride a 25 but those transom seats always looked weird to me...Who the hell wants to sit so close to the water with the risk of crashing in the water at every turn/wake...Even in surf we don't seat so far back on the transom...What you think about it ? the new convertible seat of the 30 is way better IMO

jcbatt
07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the tip on the remote - looks like a good way to fix, but I really think MC should address this next year. They could possibly make it much better with a SW update - just like when you press the little perfect pass icon on the lower right, it brings up a sub-menu, if the "mute" button brought up buttons for Vol up, Vol down, mute, track forward, track back.

Re: the wake, we don't wakeboard as much these days (more hydrofoiling, surfing, and cough cough tubing cough), so the wakeboard wake wasn't as big a deal to me. I do agree, the X-25 wakeboard wake is outstanding, but then I thought my X-15 was excellent too, and don't mind the X-30. As far as the width, I find it about the same as the X-25.

re: the transom seats, here in CT at least, you're not really supposed to use them when in motion, but even when you do, I never feel like I am going to fall out. They are very nice when resting, snacking, etc. I wouldn't rate them an absolute must-have, but I really did like them, and found them to be useful. They just added a nice dimension to the back of the boat when just taking it easy.

bjames
07-16-2012, 05:45 PM
never had luck to test ride a 25 but those transom seats always looked weird to me...Who the hell wants to sit so close to the water with the risk of crashing in the water at every turn/wake...Even in surf we don't seat so far back on the transom...What you think about it ? the new convertible seat of the 30 is way better IMO

Speaking from experience, I never feel like I am going to slide out of the transom seats. One other great benefit is sitting so far back on the corner REALY helps with the surf wake. For surfing, we have the rear STRB side tank and P&P bag full, with me sitting in the transom seat is like having another 175 lbs over the STBR corner where it is needed, pumping the wave that much more :)

TheWoons
07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Speaking from experience, I never feel like I am going to slide out of the transom seats. One other great benefit is sitting so far back on the corner REALY helps with the surf wake. For surfing, we have the rear STRB side tank and P&P bag full, with me sitting in the transom seat is like having another 175 lbs over the STBR corner where it is needed, pumping the wave that much more :)

I agree. We have people on the back transom seats all the time. The boats don't take off hard enough to kick someone off the seat if you're ready for the hit.

The wake on the 25 is bigger/more lippy than the wake on the 30 for wake boarding. We still haven't seen a properly setup 30 yet to compare to the 25 for surfing. I know for sure the 25 gets tall and really long.

AZX45OD
07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Can anyone here compare the X30 or X25 wakeboarding wakes to the X45? I have an X45 now, used to have an 2007 X30. Curious to how the new X30 wake compares to the previous generation...

jcbatt
07-16-2012, 11:34 PM
I've only been behind an X-45 with a wakeboard once a few years ago, and I found the wake to be a little too wide for my tastes. I had an X-15 at the time, and preferred that wake. I am sure others have more recent experience. The new X-30 is a totally different hull than the old one, so I think you'll find it's a lot different than your 07.

Stefan
07-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the tip on the remote - looks like a good way to fix, but I really think MC should address this next year. They could possibly make it much better with a SW update - just like when you press the little perfect pass icon on the lower right, it brings up a sub-menu, if the "mute" button brought up buttons for Vol up, Vol down, mute, track forward, track back.

There are so many little things to address, most of them don't really cost a thing or anything at all, just some thinking, but nobody is asking... no idea what people are doing in Vonore all day...
Sorry didn't want to hitch your thread but I'm still frustrated since my boat is still not going right.

jcbatt
07-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Stefan - I understand your concerns, but I don't want anything in my posts to be construed as me being unhappy with my boat, or MC. Every MC I have had has been better than the one before, and this boat is no exception. Every year they make a number of very nice advancements, and there are occasional things I have grow into liking. I find my X-30 to be an outstanding boat, and I am a very happy customer.