PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft

krra1
07-15-2012, 08:27 PM
This weekend when taking the boat out and accelerating it ran a bit rough but OK. When accelerating quickly there is a popping, like the engine is backfiring and the pick up was poor. Also noticed a lot of water coming in through the shaft, not just the 10-15 drops per minute as the manual states. Checked and cleaned all the spark plugs and checked the connections and they were fine. Then read in the manual that I needed to hand tighten the packing gland nut. My question is, would there be a backfiring noise or actual backfiring if the packing gland nut or rubber coupling was leaking too much? I can handle tighten those but don't want to mess with the backfiring if it's unrelated. Thanks for any and all helpful comments.

Cloaked
07-15-2012, 08:41 PM
This weekend when taking the boat out and accelerating it ran a bit rough but OK. When accelerating quickly there is a popping, like the engine is backfiring and the pick up was poor. Also noticed a lot of water coming in through the shaft, not just the 10-15 drops per minute as the manual states. Checked and cleaned all the spark plugs and checked the connections and they were fine. Then read in the manual that I needed to hand tighten the packing gland nut. My question is, would there be a backfiring noise or actual backfiring if the packing gland nut or rubber coupling was leaking too much? I can handle tighten those but don't want to mess with the backfiring if it's unrelated. Thanks for any and all helpful comments.Could you give a hint? Engine? Anything.....

krra1
07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes the engine was running rough and was making a backfire noise.

Cloaked
07-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Yes the engine was running rough and was making a backfire noise.

What engine are you talking about? Make and model.....

krra1
07-15-2012, 09:06 PM
1990 Mastercraft Maristar with a Chevy big block (454)