PDA

View Full Version : Custom cover for Prostar 209?

aswinter05
07-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey all! This is my first post to the forums so bare with me. If I am posting to the wrong category just let me know (but be kind about it). I just bought a 2004 Prostar 209 (see pic :)). The boat is staying parked on a slip all season long so a water-proof cover is a necessity. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a GREAT custom cover for my boat. I've thought about hiring someone to make one, but I would rather order one from someone that has the exact pattern, etc. The bimini will be removed when I put the cover on so no need to work around that. Thanks!

ccelia
07-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Do you have a lift or is the boat sitting in the water? I would recommend www.skiboatcovers.com. I went with the sunbrella waterline cover for my prostar two years ago and it is by far the best money I have spent. I haven't had any oxidation since I started using the cover - it's great for keeping the boat out of the sun.

I have also heard good things about www.evolutioncovers.com. I believe that these covers are trailerable as well, if that is important to you.

02ProstarSammyD
07-16-2012, 09:10 AM
x2 on ski boat covers. Man that boat looks familiar lol. Friend of mine has one and it ALMOST makes me want to stop patching my 10 year old factory cover. Thing looks like a patched up hobo

MC209
07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Sweet boat! did you get this boat down south?

aswinter05
07-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately the owner of the marina won't allow lifts, so it has to sit on the water for the season. You can bet I'll be pulling that beautiful thing out of the water a few times a year to clean away the algae build-up. I've thought about trailering the boat, but the convenience of jumping in the boat and heading out for a ski is great. Thank you for the recommendation. I will check out those covers from the vendors mentioned.

MC209: Got the boat in Indianapolis. Someone took really good care of it.

fskof
07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Great looking boat! You will be surprised how much stuff you can fit in it
I love mine.

What options does it have?

aswinter05
07-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Has the smaller engine (Indmar Predator 5.7 310HP). 4 component speakers (w/ tweeters) powered by 4 channel Sony amp. Kenwood MP3 player w/ driver controls. Perfect Pass (wish I knew what version so I could find the owners manual). Has an aftermarket bimini (obviously). Teak platform.

Fairly basic, but I absolutely love it. Sold a 2005 Sea Ray 200 Sport and upgraded since we do a lot of water sports (primarily slalom). I have tremendous respect for SeaRay, but it just isn't a MasterCraft.

Footin
07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
That boat sure does look like Magred's old ride.

aswinter05
08-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Do you have a lift or is the boat sitting in the water? I would recommend www.skiboatcovers.com. I went with the sunbrella waterline cover for my prostar two years ago and it is by far the best money I have spent. I haven't had any oxidation since I started using the cover - it's great for keeping the boat out of the sun.

I have also heard good things about www.evolutioncovers.com. I believe that these covers are trailerable as well, if that is important to you.

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I went ahead and got the Sunbrella (less the waterline). Package came over the weekend and the cover looks sharp! Going to put in on the boat later this evening.

Bought a Jet black with yellow stripe down the middle. Very impressed with the quality of work.

teamhowey
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Post a picture when you get it on.

erkoehler
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
That boat sure does look like Magred's old ride.

Shockingly similar...

Traxx822
08-07-2012, 03:19 PM
What do you think about installing a snap on style cover. I need a cover too and have a new NDT tower being installed this week so I will need a custom one built. I am debating just getting a snap style one installed but am afraid to because I don't have the buttons all around my boat now and it looks clean. Should I get a snap style or does it matter.

aswinter05
08-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Just put the new cover on!

kyfooter
08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I know it's unsolicited, but given that the boat seems to be in really nice shape, I would highly recommend keeping the boat on the trailer at the lake, as opposed to keeping it in the water.

Cover looks great. Nice touch with the yellow stripe down the middle.

tph
08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=kyfooter;866221]I know it's unsolicited, but given that the boat seems to be in really nice shape, I would highly recommend keeping the boat on the trailer at the lake, as opposed to keeping it in the water.

We Launch when we get to the lake , leave it in the water while we are there, and pull out right before we leave. You get the convenience of the dock while you're there and I think it keeps the boat nicer. And that boat is nice!

aswinter05
08-07-2012, 08:33 PM
We just recently worked out a deal with the owner of the Marina. We are pulling the boat out of the water when we leave on Sundays. The boat will stay parked in the water only a few days a week. It's very convenient having a slip right next to our houseboat. Also the algae from the lake doesn't have enough time to build up.

The yellow stripe really does match the boat. When i took the pictures the sun was directly overhead.

Thank you for the compliments on the boat. We love it. She sure does sparkle in the water.

bailey78
08-07-2012, 08:40 PM
NICE Lookin cover, I thought that it should be tighter with the ratchet system? Let me no how it works out, doesn't look like it fits as snugly as they have on there website. or the cover on the nautique thats posted pics om here!

bill-d-c
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Where did you get the MasterCraft spare tire cover? Great looking boat!!
Bill

mattb
08-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Did you end up going with Skiboatcovers.com or evolution covers.com?

DemolitionMan
08-07-2012, 09:46 PM
The cover looks great.

aswinter05
08-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Mastercraft spare cover came with boat and trailer. Sorry I'm no help there.

I went with SkiboatCovers.com.

There's not a ratchet system. Just a heavy duty draw string. It's fairly snug even though it may not appear that way in the photo. Not sure i tightened it to the max either.

ccelia
08-08-2012, 08:35 AM
The new cover looks great, I especially like the yellow stripe. Glad to hear you are happy with the cover - while they aren't cheap, they are well worth the investment.