PDA

View Full Version : Boat insurance

Skyskiguy
07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
What insurance company do you use to insure your boat, how much coverage do you have, what is covered, and how well do they handle claims?
Just curious to see what is out there.

lt14me
07-15-2012, 04:13 PM
I use foremost, coverage for actual cash value plus 2k for the trailer. I have an older (93) maristar, I think it is reasonably priced at 200 per year. 500 deduct.. As for claims, I just had an incident on the 4th of july and I just emailed the claim person pictures, and 3 days later I had a check in the mail, so I thought it was a whole lot easier then dealing with auto claims. Hope that helps some.

Fast50dad
07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey guys, try this link: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47143&highlight=Insurance

Welcome to TT!

SkiDog
07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
SKISAFE. Nuff said/

Skyskiguy
07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
SKISAFE. Nuff said/

Hey guys, try this link: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47143&highlight=Insurance

Welcome to TT!

Thanks. I should have searched for that before starting a new thread. I, too, am using SkiSafe on my new (to me) X30 just as I did for the prior 16 years on my PS205. Just wanted to see what other people's experiences were.

mesquitethrasher
07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Global Marine Insurance
I think the guys name was James. Very easy to work with. Seemed to be very knowledgable on Mastercraft and wakeboard/ski boats.

deminimis
07-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Just curious (obviously), why do you folks not insure with your auto/home carrier? I've found that it's cheaper, for me anyway, to insure everything through one carrier (State Farm). In addition to boat and trailer value, I have something along the lines of $100k for injuries (actually, it may be more now that I think about it...I'll have to check tonight). In addition, I have a separate $1 mil umbrella (because of horses, little dirtbike track, trampoline, William Tell archery practice, etc.), for piece of mind. No, I don't sell insurance. Just looked at my policy last night, but I can't remember what it costs, but beacuse of all the motorcycles, cars, house, trailers, camper etc., there is definitely a volume discount.
$282/yr, $45k value, $500 deduct.

fstaslp
07-17-2012, 12:01 PM
For me I use safe ski, when I went through my home/auto, it was much higher.

mwg
07-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I checked Ski Safe but ended up going with Boat US because they were about $150/year cheaper for the same coverage

Skyskiguy
07-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Ski Safe was way cheaper than Met (who covers my home and auto). The next closest was Progressive.

Ole Miss Rebels
07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
ski safe and boat us are the two cheapest and best out there that i know of. state farm was way more expensive in spite of the fact that i insure all of my other assets with them. anyway, ski safe has a higher deductible for named windstorms than the deductible for the other standard coverages. on that issue the nod goes to boat us. however, ski safe gave me a higher agreed value on my boat and trailer by an additional 20%. on that issue the nod goes to ski safe. ski safe was about 20% higher on the premium but i was happy with that since i was insuring for 20% greater value on my boat and trailer (a wash i suppose). i have never filed a claim in my ten years of boat ownership so no knowledge of claims payment. i did get several credits with skisafe including my age, claims free, multi-year renewal, (there is also a credit for not boating for four months during the winter but i didn't get that credit as we boat year-round). both companies offer a discount for having taken an on-line boater safety course.

Thrall
07-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Progressive. A little over $300/yr for the X2. Stated value of about $52k. Deductible is now gone due to no claims.
Never had a boat claim or major auto claim, but they've handled minor auto claims well and I know folks with major auto claims that were satisfied.

maxpower220
07-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Call Skisafe and get a quote. Then call your home/auto/etc carrier and get their quote. Then, call an insurance broker/agent and let them find the cheapest quote. Evaluate each, then purchase from skisafe.

abehrens
07-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Does anyone use Ski Safe and pull any USA Waterski sanctioned events?

My current insurance won't cover it. (Liberty Mutual - Grouped with my home and auto)

abehrens
07-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Duplicate

AZX9
07-17-2012, 10:09 PM
My wife works for a State Farm agent and we have all of our insurance except our boat with them and not because she works there. Progressive was much less expensive for like coverage. The X9 I just purchased on our first outing received a little hull rash from underwater rocks. Ended up needing lots of keel repair, tracking fin, and prop ding repair. This was two weeks after issuing the policy. The company was very helpful and after some understandable questions on timing of purchase they paid out for repairs without hastle to the shop of my choice.

tdjaster
07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I have Traveler's for home, auto, boat, everything and it is very reasonable. I compared my boat policy to BoatUS and it was slightly cheaper but not enough to make me switch. I chose the hassle-free method of bundling over saving a few bucks.