PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat dots ?

pmikler
07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
As I am sure a lot of us have done i spent 8-9 hours yesterday buffing and waxing the boat. Starting with a heavy cut, medium cut, polish and a final wax.

Boat looks phenominal.... but on the transom in a couple of places (>5% of the total area) there are little dots that I could not work out and boy did i work that transom- for well over an hour with the heavy cut trying to get them out. Two questions

1) Is it a minor defect in the gel that would remain no matter what I do? meaning no matter how deep i go they will remain
2) is it pitting? if so from what?

The picture is a close up and looks a bit hazy but trust me it isnt there is a lot of shine. If you stand back 15 feet you wouldnt see these dots/pits. Not a big deal but curious.

Thanks In Advance,

mrm2083
07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
My boat has the same problem in a lot of areas. It really pisses me off but buffing only makes it worse on mine. They are like little air bubbles.

tr6coug
07-15-2012, 02:25 PM
I have that in a few places also with the same color gel coat. One spot on the transom one spot on the right side of the hull. They're in there for good.

sand2snow22
07-15-2012, 05:17 PM
I have some on my blue transom as well. Noticed them after I removed a few scratches from wakeboards... It's from the gelcoat process and I hear the reason is because the gelcoat was mixed too hot. Whatever that means. Too much hardener maybe.

Slate grey is the worst MC color for this. Top looks beautiful, but if you have to sand or buff a little, the white bubbles can be really bad. I would live with it. Only way to fix is to respray :(

BrooksfamX2
07-15-2012, 07:22 PM
They are little pits and when you get white wax in them they really show. There is wax that is black (cant remember brand). It drys black and on dark cars/boats it doesnt leave the white wax residue in the cracks/seams etc. (or pits maybe) I use it on my black Harley. It may help hide the pits....

BrianM
07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
If they are in fact pits that are holding wax could you wet sand the area until at the bottom of the pits creating a smooth surface again? Then compound and polish as necessary to bring back the shine? The base layer of Gel is always black with the color layer on top. As long as you dont sand through the color layer.

vogelm1
07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Have a couple small areas on my white gel coat like that and tried to wet sand down through the pitting, and it didn't work. In fact, there were more pits after the sanding. I wouldn't recommend any further sanding and live with it. If it really bugs you, I'd almost suggest spraying gel over the top to level everything out.

pmikler
07-16-2012, 12:23 AM
I'll just chalk this up to "character". And here's hoping I don't add any more "character" to the boat while I have it.

kjohnson
07-16-2012, 09:00 AM
I was going to ask what year your boats were, but a closer look at your posts told me.

petermegan
07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
I reckon the only fix might be to put a clear coat right over the top, wouldn't have thought it would be that costly. I assume it could be blended in on the sides ok, but I don't know a lot about it. Had a local hull clear coated 10 years ago and it came up great.(don't touch it with automotive clear though). Has it been like it since new, is it covered by hull warranty?

pmikler
07-16-2012, 10:27 PM
I reckon the only fix might be to put a clear coat right over the top, wouldn't have thought it would be that costly. I assume it could be blended in on the sides ok, but I don't know a lot about it. Had a local hull clear coated 10 years ago and it came up great.(don't touch it with automotive clear though). Has it been like it since new, is it covered by hull warranty?

No its not.... I bought it used and its an 06 anyway.

Thanks