PDA

View Full Version : Ballast, Water in Boat, Bilge Running & More

Specter
07-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Good morning everyone - now that I'm 3 weeks into my 2012 X-30 ownership experience I'm starting to build a bank of questions. I'm hoping you all can help me sift through these. My boat is headed to the dealer next week for the 25hr inspection and if I suspect issues I'd like to add them to their punch list.

Ballast. When I fill the KGB/front ballast completely full, the front bilge pump kicks on when the ballast is roughly 95% full. It eventually kicks off once the tank hits 100%. Is this normal? Am I seeing the bilge running or is there a ballast overflow system running?

Front Bilge. This is my second boat (first was a Chaparral 216 I/O) and after every outing the boat seems to have collected a lot of water. So much so I pull the middle drain plug every time the boat goes back on its lift. Yes we wakeboard, yes we surf, but most people dry off before they get in the boat after a run so I know we're not bringing in that much water. Sometimes, there's just enough water in the boat to force the front bilge pump to run but it doesn't suck anything out. Could I perhaps have a leak somewhere causing water to seep in? For reference, if I pull the middle drain plug access cover off, the water level is typically up to the top of the plug.

Thanks in advance for the help.

MCVOLS
07-15-2012, 09:32 AM
when you say the front bilge pump kicks on while filling the ballast, are you hearing it run, or just seeing the water coming out? tne gauge may be slightly off and you could just be seeing the ballast overflow.
regarding the water, that does seem like quite a bit, may be a leek in a ballast line, if the two are related.

Jim@BAWS
07-15-2012, 09:34 AM
How do you know it is ballast and not the overflow???

You cannot overfill stock ballast. It will come out the overflow whicj sometimes will look like the
bildge is on

Jim@BAWS

Specter
07-15-2012, 10:12 AM
when you say the front bilge pump kicks on while filling the ballast, are you hearing it run, or just seeing the water coming out? tne gauge may be slightly off and you could just be seeing the ballast overflow.
regarding the water, that does seem like quite a bit, may be a leek in a ballast line, if the two are related.

How do you know it is ballast and not the overflow???

You cannot overfill stock ballast. It will come out the overflow whicj sometimes will look like the
bildge is on

Jim@BAWS
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. It must be the overflow since I don't hear the bilge running. I didn't know there was an overflow so that answers my question. It still seems odd that it's overflowing before I hit 100% full.

MattsCraft
07-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Specter - Ballast on the 2012, if filling to 100% the software is is counting pump rotations, so filling to 100% the system is set to run a bit past full to make sure it is full. I doubt that the bilge is kicking on, what you are seeing is water coming out of the ballast tank overflow. (This is normal) You should see this for all the tanks if filling to 100% I would think you have seperate exit ports for your ballast and bilge, one for forward and aft and one for each ballast tank. I don't have a 30, but this is the case on my '09 as well as friends 2012 25. You can figure out easily which one is bilge and ballast by blowing air into each and listening in near your bilge pump, this is the method I used to figure out which was which for adding anti-freeze for winterization. About mid ship, you should have 2 exit ports, one for KGB overflow and one for both bilge pumps.

As far as water in your forward bilge, every inboard I have been on (including mine) has some water in the bilge every usage, for a day outing I will have about the same amount you describe, my bilge as is most likely yours is mounted a little up to the side of the bilge, so never comes on until well over the plug. If I leave the boat in the water for a week, it will run a few times.

Everything you describe seems pretty normal to me.

Nick911
07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
All normal yes. Your ballast tank levels seem to be working better than mine.

Specter
07-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Specter - Ballast on the 2012, if filling to 100% the software is is counting pump rotations, so filling to 100% the system is set to run a bit past full to make sure it is full. I doubt that the bilge is kicking on, what you are seeing is water coming out of the ballast tank overflow. (This is normal) You should see this for all the tanks if filling to 100% I would think you have seperate exit ports for your ballast and bilge, one for forward and aft and one for each ballast tank. I don't have a 30, but this is the case on my '09 as well as friends 2012 25. You can figure out easily which one is bilge and ballast by blowing air into each and listening in near your bilge pump, this is the method I used to figure out which was which for adding anti-freeze for winterization. About mid ship, you should have 2 exit ports, one for KGB overflow and one for both bilge pumps.

As far as water in your forward bilge, every inboard I have been on (including mine) has some water in the bilge every usage, for a day outing I will have about the same amount you describe, my bilge as is most likely yours is mounted a little up to the side of the bilge, so never comes on until well over the plug. If I leave the boat in the water for a week, it will run a few times.

Everything you describe seems pretty normal to me.
Thanks for all of the details. This helps a lot.

02ProstarSammyD
07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I always collect a decent amount of water throughout the day from people getting in/out and prob some small leaks around. I've never had a boat that didn't drain a decent amount at the end of the day. Use common sense on this one or talk to the dealer.