PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid question for 91

Appling77
07-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Skidim sent me this solenoid for my 91 but it looks different from the one I have on there now. Does anyone have a pic or can tell me the right way to wire this one. My old One have the main terminals on the sides and two small terminals on the front but just the left small terminal has a wire connected to it. Pos from Batt is on the left side and the ground to the starter is on the right. Thanks

http://img.tapatalk.com/ad4a2204-ac63-c9b6.jpg

DooSPX
07-14-2012, 03:44 PM
If its dim's item number 1228, its correct.

ahhudgins
07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I can’t be 100% sure unless you can check the posts with an ohmmeter. If I am seeing your picture correctly, one small terminal is marked “S” which is the one small wire that your old solenoid used. The “S” post is from your ignition switch. You should be able to read some resistance between the “S” post and the ground bracket of your new solenoid.

The other small post is marked “I”? The “I” post will not be used if it wasn’t used on the old solenoid. The “I” post is internally connected to the large output post of the solenoid. The “I” post should show a short (0 ohms) to the post going to your starter. The “I” post is used to apply full battery voltage to the ignition system when cranking, it by passes the ballast resistor if it is used.

Appling77
07-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the info I'll try it out. Im pretty dumb when it comes to meters. Im the guy who changes stuff then hope it works. Lol seriously I just never learned meters for some reason. Wish I had.

Appling77
07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
If its dim's item number 1228, its correct.

It's item number r130001

ahhudgins
07-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info I'll try it out. Im pretty dumb when it comes to meters. Im the guy who changes stuff then hope it works. Lol seriously I just never learned meters for some reason. Wish I had.

I hate giving technical advice over the phone or via internet because it can lead to mistakes and makes matter worse, but a solenoid is pretty straight forward. If you old one had two small posts and only one was used, I'm betting that it's the one marked "S". Should be the same connection as "S" on the new one.

I added the black lines to the drawing just to show the internal contact and connections inside the solenoid.

Appling77
07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
I hate giving technical advice over the phone or via internet because it can lead to mistakes and makes matter worse, but a solenoid is pretty straight forward. If you old one had two small posts and only one was used, I'm betting that it's the one marked "S". Should be the same connection as "S" on the new one.

I added the black lines to the drawing just to show the internal contact and connections inside the solenoid.

I know, I appreciate it but from what doospx is saying I have the wrong part number anyway so I guess I need to verify tomorrow with skidim.