PDA

View Full Version : Dull fenders

JDC
07-14-2012, 12:40 PM
2004 MC PS209/X9 trailer. Are these fenders gelcoat?

The sides are still fairly shiny but all the top surfaces are almost as dull as asphalt pavement. I was hoping I could take these off after this season and take them to the body shop I use and have him clean up and buff them out.

Are some MC trailer fenders gelcoat and others painted fiberglass?

MattsCraft
07-14-2012, 06:50 PM
They are Gel coat - Steel painted just became an option in 2011 or 2012. They should be able to be buffed out.

JDC
07-14-2012, 11:35 PM
OK, great. Thanks.

cf_koch
07-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I hit mine with marine polish and they look good for a few weeks then I simply polish them again. It doesn't take very long since there is very little surface area on the fenders.

sand2snow22
07-15-2012, 05:11 PM
If you really want to do it right wet sand the oxidation and it won't come back after you buff, polish and wax. Good trick to get the compound/polish out of the rubber when done is to hit it with glass cleaner and a nylon brush followed with a rag. Good as new!

Try not to leave the trailer in the sun anymore, if you do, throw a tarp over it!

charrison327
07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
If you really want to do it right wet sand the oxidation and it won't come back after you buff, polish and wax. Good trick to get the compound/polish out of the rubber when done is to hit it with glass cleaner and a nylon brush followed with a rag. Good as new!

Try not to leave the trailer in the sun anymore, if you do, throw a tarp over it!

That's what I did with mine. I wet sanded them and now I keep them waxed

JDC
07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I took the fenders off today and I'm taking them to the body shop tomorrow. It took about 20 minutes a side to have them off and stripped to a bare fender.
I'm sure he'll wet sand them and do it up right. He's pickier than I am. He just buffed out and polished my boat and it looks amazing!

I was able to pull off the rubber pads without too much difficulty. Of course, you have to take off the 2 smaller ones on the front and rear to get to the screw heads anyway.

Here are a few "before" pics of the right fender after they were removed.
Pretty dull.
I'll post "after" pics... after. :D

I'll just have to keep 'em waxed since keeping the trailer out of the sun is a non starter for me. It'll be in the garage over the winter but as tight as it is getting in my garage, it's a once in, once out deal.

jgraham37128
07-17-2012, 11:14 PM
That can all be buffed out. It should look brand new after a wet sand and compound, then swirl remover, then a sealer.

JG

Ironhorse
07-18-2012, 09:43 AM
JDCarpenter - can you salvage the rubber pads that need to be removed to take the fenders off? I had someone hit one of my fenders and have to get it fixed. Luckily the boat was in the water at the time.

Thanks

JDC
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
JDCarpenter - can you salvage the rubber pads that need to be removed to take the fenders off? I had someone hit one of my fenders and have to get it fixed. Luckily the boat was in the water at the time.

ThanksI was able to save mine. The two smaller ones that need to come off to gain access to the screws came off fairly easily. I just started at a corner and carefully peeled it back and they came off. I had to start one of them by getting a small flat blade screwdriver under the edge but it wasn't hard at all.

The longer pads (one on each side) in the middle don't need to come off (no screw heads under them) but I took them off to make it easier to wet sand and buff them, and also to keep from having to tape them off or clean out the ton of buffing compound once they are done.

The longer ones were harder to get off and I use the screwdriver to coax them off when it got hard to pull so I wouldn't tear them. The rubber is pretty tough, but with enough force you could cause it to tear.

Ironhorse
07-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks JD!!

JDC
07-18-2012, 09:51 PM
I got the fenders back today and although they don't look brand new, they look a heck of a lot better! There are some areas (not in the pics) I wish he had spent more time on but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. :cool:

The gel coat is cracked on the right fender under the top rubber pad and the cracks spider outside the pad on both inner and outer sides of the fender. Not sure if something smacked it hard there at one point or what. There are deep scratches I didn't really pay attention to before these were shined up since they used to look like the pavement.

You can see in the before and after pics where water spots are. They are still there since they seem to be deep in the gel coat. Not sure how that would happen, but they're there to stay unless this boat gets a new owner who cares about it more than I do. 8p This is an area you can't really see with the boat on the trailer so it doesn't bother me.

I tried to compose the after pics just like the before, so I couldn't keep my reflection out of the shot, :o sorry. That shot also looks a bit brown in the photo. It might be from the reflection of the brown trim on my house, but it looks black in person.

I'll get them mounted up maybe tomorrow and figure out what I'm going to re-glue the pads on with.