PDA

View Full Version : Prostar Wtt. Tower Or No Tower

mybobtail
07-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi i will be ordering my new prostar wtt in the next couple of weeks .my plan was to put a tower on it but my mate reckons no. any thought or ides would be good. we mainly ski, tube and barefoot. no young kids comming through to wakeboard.though we do have wakeboards. i thought was good to have to keep skis etc out of the way.it will have a bimini but mate reckons if we want to wakeboard and need tower we could have an extended pole over the centre ski pole.also his main concern was it would look to bulky as he has only seen the bigger towers on the Xseries. i know at the end of day its my boat but when he said it.he has me thinking.
ok thanks for any input

Jerseydave
07-14-2012, 08:59 AM
My vote...mini tower (if they still offer those?)

Makes sense for racking skis, speakers, nice high point for barefooting, etc.

Double D
07-14-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm with JerseyDave, mini tower or a tower.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

Jason.H.
07-14-2012, 09:15 AM
I have a pole and its a hassle to put up and take down with board rack on it. If I had the money I would have a tower

TNH2oSkier
07-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Tower is awesome for integrating the bimini. It also works well for the tow point when teaching kids to ski. I have a tower and we dont wakeboard. No way I'm putting my ski in a rack while I'm riding down the lake. Ski's go in the floor behind the drivers seat.

mzimme
07-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Tower is awesome for integrating the bimini. It also works well for the tow point when teaching kids to ski. I have a tower and we dont wakeboard. No way I'm putting my ski in a rack while I'm riding down the lake. Ski's go in the floor behind the drivers seat.

Why wouldn't you put your skis in a rack? :confused:

I'd also go tower for sure. Among the already stated reasons here, there's also the availability of speaker mounts if you like listening to music outside (or inside) the boat. There's also docking lights you can put up there, etc. I'd definitely have a tower on a new boat. The right one will look like it's meant to be there.

DooSPX
07-14-2012, 11:15 AM
If you are ordering a new boat, go with a mini tower! It will look better than a full tower and give most of the benefits. Word of advice though, do NOT pull a tube from the tower! They were NOT designed for that! I have seen a few boats of all brands cracking the gel around the mounting points.

scott023
07-14-2012, 11:43 AM
No doubt in my mind.... Mini tower.

Lumbergh
07-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Mini Tower. Totally sweet setup on a PS.

barefoot
07-14-2012, 02:19 PM
No tower...if you're not using it, why have it?

madcityskier
07-14-2012, 02:38 PM
If you have you will probably find yourself using it. Great for teaching kids and removing clutter. Also great for teaching deep ups while footing. I have an extended pylon. Don't consider it a hassel at all. If you're in and out of a garage the tower is much more of a hassel, but the biardracks are nice. I vote tower on an open bow, nothing on a closed bow.

BROUSSARD
09-15-2012, 12:20 PM
You will hit your head on the mini tower itself, you SHOULD NOT put speakers or lights!

Sullivan
09-15-2012, 01:06 PM
No tower. Hell that should be obvious with how much the darn thing cost. Everyone always says they want the tower until they hear how much they cost.

snork
09-15-2012, 01:21 PM
+1 for tower

too bad MC doesn't offer the ZFT4 tower on the 197

93Prostar190
09-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Mini Tower

petermegan
09-15-2012, 03:28 PM
No one has actually mentioned the benefit of getting the rope up out of the boat for some of your activities so you can actually use your back seat.

snork
09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
theres a back seat in a 197? I thought it was a sun deck

GT500 MC
09-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Mini-tower. Looks great on a PS. I personally couldn't do one being 6'2" and enjoying my music/speakers however. Would get sick of ducking or hitting my head.

93Prostar190
09-16-2012, 12:03 AM

JohnE
09-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Another vote for the mini tower here.

scott023
09-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Mini tower is the way to go.

Sullivan
09-16-2012, 11:37 AM
With all these votes for the tower. I'd like to ask, would you buy my next boat if it had a tower and was $53K or the boat without a tower for $48K? If enough of you say they would buy it with the tower I might just add it to my next boat. I have 8 days to make any changes before it goes into production.

93Prostar190
09-16-2012, 11:49 AM
With all these votes for the tower. I'd like to ask, would you buy my next boat if it had a tower and was $53K or the boat without a tower for $48K? If enough of you say they would buy it with the tower I might just add it to my next boat. I have 8 days to make any changes before it goes into production.

short answer ... if a boat has a tower (a proper good looking one) it will probably command a higher price and in today's boating world a tower is becoming more mainstream ...

A little back ground ... I had a 93 Prostar 190 ... no tower, no pole, and a good bimni .... but I often found myself wondering if I wanted to take the bimni cover to the lake ... with a tower on my current Prostar the bimni is always with us ... so that is a big plus to me.

Let me emphasize that it needs to be a good tower ... some styles better than others ... I agree that MC towers seems to be "pricey" ... but on a Prostar 197/214 the Mini-Tower look really good and complements the lines of the boat.

I even hung cans on mine ... on the inner most pods .... looks great.

Only down side of the mini-tower is .... watch your head ....

93Prostar190
09-16-2012, 11:51 AM

scott023
09-16-2012, 12:06 PM

I would spend the 5k on the tower. No two ways about it.

JohnE
09-16-2012, 12:23 PM

If I were buying your boat I would want a tower. But adding one isn't such a big deal after the fact. So to me it would be a wash if I wanted your boat. For the lesser price I would put a tower on it. Although if I needed a loan, it would likely be easier to get a loan for the higher priced boat than to get a loan for the lower priced boat and come up with $5K cash.

Have you had trouble selling any of you past promo boats due to lack of tower?

Also, I still like the older mini tower more than the new style. If I were buying yours I'd really consider getting a ND mini.

RadarDad
09-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I did not get a mini on my 2010. If you are going to do everything you state you should get the tower.

Roger

Sullivan
09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
No, I have not had any trouble selling them. The two that I have had that is. It just makes me wonder if it wouldn't be wise to put the tower on for the next guy. I too love the looks of the 197 with the Mini Tower. I always thought that the extra cost that takes the boat from a 40K range to 50K range would deter alot of people.

JohnE
09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
No, I have not had any trouble selling them. The two that I have had that is. It just makes me wonder if it wouldn't be wise to put the tower on for the next guy. I too love the looks of the 197 with the Mini Tower. I always thought that the extra cost that takes the boat from a 40K range to 50K range would deter alot of people.

If you don't have trouble selling them, I wouldn't bother putting one on. How does it help you? Plus you are shrinking your pool of potential buyers. If someone wants a TT boat without tower, your is now out of the running. Conversely someone wanting one with tower doesn't completely rule yours out.

TayMC197
09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Last time I checked, towers come off. Put a decal over the bolt holes or spend 500 bucks and have it patched and gel coat refinished. You aen't taking anything out of the running with a tower.. I swear some people just have the inibility to think. Thats like saying I wouldn't buy a truck cuase it has a sound system in it. TAKE IT OUT!!! or in the case take it off if you don't want it. Put it away and sell it with the boat incase the NEXT owner wants it.

Just cause you are tall, saying you wouldn't want to hit your head cause you have to duck. Well just about every towerless 190/197 Ive seen has a bimini own it. I guess you don't have to duck under those. amazing how that magic works. Seriously I hit my head on the tower once, I was smart enough to learn from that. I also don't like having my floor full of crap.. so tower solves that.

To each their own but just cause it has a tower doesn't mean it won't come off. It could even add value down the road when you sell to the next person. I swear some of you just don't think. Taking it out of the running cuase it has a tower... seriously? I could have my tower unistalled in about an hour and have nice decals or chrome accessories ove the bolt holes... at least untill I had them patched...

GT500 MC
09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Morning coffee anyone? Must be Monday.

Sodar
09-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Mini Tower.

To answer Sullivan's question about the $5k. You will never lose money on the deal. Someone either wants the tower for $53k or you sell the boat for $48k and unload an OEM tower... they are rare and hard to come by. I know from my own experience back in '07 when I was looking to add one to a 197 that with tower, bimini and racks it was almost $7500 plus shipping. I am sure that amount has increased substantially in the last 5 years, too.

TayMC197
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Why are so few against the tower? Besides changing the look of the boat, why is there a reason to be against it. It doesn't change function of the craft. It adds many factors to it. I think a 190/197 with a bimini top on it looks retarded. Talking about changing the looks. but hey if thats what you like, then like it. I won't say anything to you about it.

I get this vibe that some of you feel you are desecrating the sport of slalom skiing by having a tower. I don't see why that is. Is it tradition becuase the original boats didn't have a tower? Well in that case, get rid of your perfect pass/zero off, radios, and whatever else has been added to them since.

I do agree that if you get a tower for this boat, spend the money to get the right one. that will make a difference.

jkski
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Mini Tower.

To answer Sullivan's question about the $5k. You will never lose money on the deal. Someone either wants the tower for $53k or you sell the boat for $48k and unload an OEM tower... they are rare and hard to come by. I know from my own experience back in '07 when I was looking to add one to a 197 that with tower, bimini and racks it was almost $7500 plus shipping. I am sure that amount has increased substantially in the last 5 years, too.

For what it is worth, I have been looking at adding a mini-tower to my 08 40th 197 for a couple of years and have not pulled the trigger, but the price for a mini-tower, bimini, 1 board rack, 1 slalom rack, altering the MC cover to fit and labor was $7010 before tax. (this was as of earlier this year).

I wish I had just added it when I bought the boat new.

cincyskier
09-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Being a newbee to the MC promo family, I was actually advised against the mini-tower for the reason you mention above, and was told only to get a tower if someone pre-ordered my boat. That being said, my tower-less 2012 is still availible. I actually had a buyer a few months back that wanted a tower, but the cost of adding it detered him from buying mine. Shoulda, coulda, woulda....... That being said, I have no idea what I am going to do with my 2013 as I too love the look of the mini.

gts-20
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Like I stated before, go with the tower.

We have the mini tower on our 214. We love it, but if we had to do it all over again, I think we would get the full size tower, just for the extra head room. The bimini alone makes the tower worth it, but add in the ski/wake board racks, and its a no brainer.

kyfooter
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
If I were on the promo team, I would add the tower only if I had a use for it, or my boat was pre-ordered. I get that I'm in the minority, but this is a 197 model...so how many 'yes' responses came from those with a 190 or 197? Just asking because I'm curious. My thought is that most 'yes' responses come from those with larger boats, more popular in the wakeboarding world. Naturally, you would get a yes response there, but then I would ask whether the boat itself would even be considered (197 model w/ tower vs. X15, 25, etc).

Sullivan's point about taking the boat from a price tag of $47k to $53k is legit (IMO). For the most part, you have 100 or 125 boats annually that are 99% identical, but for the tower option. If I (potential buyer) don't want a tower, my promo market is narrowed to exclude all promo boats with a tower. If I do want a tower, my market is all 125 boats. Adding a tower later if I really want it...sure, I would do that. Buying a boat that has had a tower removed, and the gelcoat patched...not a chance.

Just my thoughts. I don't imagine many using the boat itself for wakeboarding much as it doesn't have a "preferred" wake. And $6,000 is a lot of money to spend on a bimini holder.

But for 12% increase in the cost on my new 197, I get something that holds a few skis out of the way, holds my bimini, and provides a higher pull for the wally wakeboarder who only jumps from his strongside, tries so hard just to clear the wake, but crashes on each landing!...oh, and I can't pull my kids tubing from it either because you know...a $6,000 tower isn't made to pull tubes.

Maybe there is a little sarcasm there...but if I really had a desire to use my tower with someone of skill behind the boat that might actually benefit from the higher pull, I would likely not be in the market for a 197. I certainly see the benefit of a tower...just don't know that the marginal benefit of adding a tower to a 3-event boat is worth 12%.

Sullivan
09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
TayMC190, Your totally off base with me. Don't insult me by acting like I have not thought this through. Not only is the huge added cost a detrimint but so is the added weight of the tower. These boats are very sensitive to added weight. Ever notice how most WTT or TT boats come with Teak platforms? Added weight with the Fiberglass. In our tournaments we have started only running the boat with two people in the boat. When you add that third safety swimmer the wake gets substantially harder.

I come from the hard core side of the sport, so much so that we have been playing with the bottom of our boats trying to make them ski even better. Adding a tower does not advance our goals of making it the best slalom boat possible.

ski_king
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
If any tower, I would say the mini tower. However when looking at the 2013 design a boat there appears to be minimal difference in height between the ZFT3 and the mini. Did the mini grow in size for 2013?

Also, while it will never be an issue for me, it appears the tower legs will get in the way of the rope for a high end skier.

If you do get an "old style" mini tower, keep a good supply of Tylenol on board.

gatorguy
09-19-2012, 01:42 PM
TayMC190, Your totally off base with me. Don't insult me by acting like I have not thought this through. Not only is the huge added cost a detrimint but so is the added weight of the tower. These boats are very sensitive to added weight. Ever notice how most WTT or TT boats come with Teak platforms? Added weight with the Fiberglass. In our tournaments we have started only running the boat with two people in the boat. When you add that third safety swimmer the wake gets substantially harder.

I come from the hard core side of the sport, so much so that we have been playing with the bottom of our boats trying to make them ski even better. Adding a tower does not advance our goals of making it the best slalom boat possible.

Thanks for answering my question before I even asked it. I was wondering if people could notice the difference in the wake with vs w/o a tower.

zsqure
09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
If I were looking for a replacement boat, I would be looking for one with a tower. It gets all the junk off the floor and up in racks. And like everyone says full tower so you don't bonk your head. I would love to have a tower but don't want to molest a 24 y.o. boat, don't even have a radio, can't bring myself to cut holes in it.:) Because you're considering it you might as well go for it.

PointTaken
09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Get the tower. I love the one on my prostar. It gets all the clutter off the floor.

TayMC197
09-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Not sure where you disconnected with me but your only getting yourself worked up over it. I never said you didn't think things through. My comment about thinking was about those who say the height of the tower will make them have to duck. You have to duck under a bimini top.

As for paying 5 grand more for a used boat with a tower, I'd pay the extra. I know the cost and the investment of having it. Infact, I've been shopping for a newer model. I'm looking for one with, cuase i'm tired of spending all the extra money on buying one and accessorizing it.

People who want 197 and 190 have a purpose in mind. People who are tower dedicated aren't looking at these models. My purpose is to ski, barefoot, skyski, wakeboard(even though I personally don't), and whatever else is out there. My main focus is slalom. My boat is amazing with all that I have on it. You said you had 2 boats with towers and had no problem selling them, seems you have your answer. I have zero complaints about my boat except the bow light doesn't work. I'm to lazy to change it. :D

Sullivan
09-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Two boats without the tower. Third boat will be without the tower as well.

TayMC197
09-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Two boats without the tower. Third boat will be without the tower as well.

Congrats!! :dance: