PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light problem.....

rabooze
08-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Posted this on General Discussion, but thought it was more fitting over here:

The other day I had my '02 PS 209 out on the lake. It was a galssy day and I ran it at about 40 or so for a solid ten minutes. When I got to the cove i Was going to, the check engine light started flashing. By this time I wsa just in neutral or just coasting along. It stayed this way for awhile, and then a long beep came on. I turned the engine off, waited a minute and turned it back on. The beeping had stopped but the check engine light kept blinking. I cruised back to teh dock at around 25 MPH. After a little while, the light stopped blinking? Any ideas as to what caused this and how to get it fixed? Thanks in advance!

JimN
08-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Check your oil cooler for debris and then check your impeller. The impeller needs to have all of its vanes and if it's more than one season old, get a new one. If you were in sandy or muddy water, the grit wears the rubber away and it won't push enough water to cool the motor sufficiently.

If these are OK, check the transmission oil level and quality. If it smells burnt, change it.

dog paw
08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm not lucky enough to have a late model MC in the garage to check :D but my friends late model Supra has a OBD2 diagnostic connector to go with the check engine light. Might be worth checking out.

JimN
08-31-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure Indmar is up to OBD2 yet, but the diagnostic port does the same thing for whoever has a diagnostic computer or code reader. You do have a port on yours, at the top rear of the motor(relative to the crank pulley being on the front, not the position in the boat). Anything with fuel injection(basically most of the MC boats since mid-1993) has an ECM, therefore, a diagnostic port. If the boat was originally sold less than 3 years ago, the drive train is still under warranty. Damage due to overheatsing is not covered, though. Hopefully, this isn't the reason for the check engine light(MIL).

I would do the things mentioned in my other post, then run it and see how it is.

209mike
09-01-2005, 12:22 AM
My LTR experienced the same situation. After trouble shooting the oil pressure with a direct reading gage I ended up changing the pressure transmitter. I honestly believe the new transmitter only mask the low oil pressure issue after seeing my direct reading gage drop horribly low after running WOT. You wont get any help from Indmar either they suggest a minimum of 5 psi is accectable. Change your transmitter its cheap. But if you really want to know purchase a cheap direct reading gage and put it in place of your transmitter and compare that reading to your ships gage.