PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Leak?

Kdmann64
07-13-2012, 04:06 PM
ive had a thread here for a week or two where i bent my prop, strut, and shaft, i fixed it all thanks to you guys help but now i think the tranny is leaking. there is oil under the transmission coupler, i can't see where its coming from but i wiped it up once and put a rag there and now its soaked, the boat is in my garage, it has not been cranked. I am asumming it is transmission oil and not engine oil, It looks like a lot but i checked both and they still read normal. Im guessing there is a seal or something thats leaking can someone help me out here?
thanks

etduc
07-13-2012, 05:43 PM
ive had a thread here for a week or two where i bent my prop, strut, and shaft, i fixed it all thanks to you guys help but now i think the tranny is leaking. there is oil under the transmission coupler, i can't see where its coming from but i wiped it up once and put a rag there and now its soaked, the boat is in my garage, it has not been cranked. I am asumming it is transmission oil and not engine oil, It looks like a lot but i checked both and they still read normal. Im guessing there is a seal or something thats leaking can someone help me out here?
thanks
If it is burnt orangeish (motor oil contanination in bilger) in color, it is transmission fluid. If it is a rear seal, pretty easy to fix. Front not so easy to fix. Could also be, cracked cooler line, or another seal or fitting.

Kdmann64
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Ok I've been busy and haven't tackeled is yet but I'm getting back in it. I had left news paper under the transmission and it is soaked. Oil was running off of it, hard to get out with out making a mess. I out some fresh newspaper in and left it overnight. This morning the oil was on the right toward the back of e boat, I am in the boatm with the rear seat up looking at the tranny and motor so it was on the right toward back, but I can't see where its coming from any ideas?

Kyle
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Clean the engine and tranny real good with brake cleaner and try again. With it clean then you should feel a fresh oil spot somewhere. The tranny has so many seals and gaskets on the casing that it would be hard for anyone to guess. Make sure that you clean and check the tail shaft seal....

Kdmann64
07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I clean everything up good and placed paper under it first drips are on he motor side of the tranny. I still can't see it and when I feel around its just oil all over the nbottom of the transmission. Where could it be coming from. It leaks just sitting in the garage.

etduc
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I clean everything up good and placed paper under it first drips are on he motor side of the tranny. I still can't see it and when I feel around its just oil all over the nbottom of the transmission. Where could it be coming from. It leaks just sitting in the garage.
Probably, the front seal.

Kdmann64
07-24-2012, 06:11 PM
What is the front seal? Where is it located. Is this the seal that marries the transmission to the motor? If so how do I replace it and where do I buy the seal? Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I would think your local dealer will still stock that seal. If not, try the guys at Midwest Mastercraft.

763-404-7372
http://www.waterskis.com/

Kdmann64
07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Is it hard to do. No local dealer

etduc
07-25-2012, 01:30 PM
What is the front seal? Where is it located. Is this the seal that marries the transmission to the motor? If so how do I replace it and where do I buy the seal? Thanks
Yes, engine side of trans. If you can work on, car/motorcylc engine-trans, or just mechanically minded, not hard. You have to remove the transmission.

Here's a link and diagram: http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/apps/master/illustrations.php?COM_NAME=71C,%2072C%20Direct%20D rive%20Illustrations&MODEL=9&IMAGE=104&INAME=../bw/images/bw_tran
Note: they don't take returns. You can also get a full rebuild kit (all seals, friction, drive plates, clips, etc) on ebay, with returns.

I recommend a complete rebuild, since the trans will be removed. You may also, think of replacing the damper plate, while you're at it.

I'm postponing my seal/rebuild, till late Aug. Since water levels are falling. I just can't use my bilge pump. I add fluid each day of use. My winter projects, are starting alittle early this year. My boat is 18 years old, time to do some fixin' , anyways. Good luck.