PDA

View Full Version : Drop to 34mph?

wtrskr
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I know that age 35 is the cuttoff for for switching to 34 mph in slalom competitions. I just turned 35 and am wondering if anybody has an opinion as to whether to follow that rule in general?

I mostly free ski and like going 36 because I feel like I ski better. I'm thinking I might stick to 34 mph when I ski the course but still kick it up to 36 mph here and there when I free ski.

Thoughts?

pkskier
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
I mostly free ski also and I am 52 and ski at 36 for both.

sk8salomon
07-17-2012, 06:18 AM
i've been course skiing @ 36 for years, this spring i did a few sets 36mph then said F-it. Seriously, unless you are trying for open men's competition why even ski 36 anymore? yeah i know you don't want that old man speed feeling but the first time i ran back-to-back-to-back 32's @ 34 mph i was hooked! slow the boat down and give yourself some extra bouys unless you just like free skiing more? yes the wakes are smaller @ 36 and you have to do less work behind the boat so that might feel better to you on open water. you don't have to follow any rules, hell ski 40 mph if you want.

RadarDad
07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
I have been skiing since I was 10 years old. I turn 60 next week. I really don't get many chances to ski a course. I use a 2012 Radar Strada and the ski designer took me on a coarse at 34. Not good. I only made the first ball. He went faster and I made 3 balls. I have skied at 36 for over 25 years. I like it but, if your ski can handle the lower speed go 34. The falls look alot softer! I probily will keep skiing at 36, but I like to go fast.

jamisonsbrodie
07-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Ski at whatever speed you prefer to ski, it really doesn't matter unless you are competing.

wtrskr
07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Part of the reason that I'm thinking about pushing the 36 mph a little longer is that my best pass was last year and I feel like I am capable of doing better. If I get more balls but am going 34mph I won't really know if I'm skiing better of if it is the speed. Another reason I'm tempted to push it is that we have a little brotherly competition once or twice a year and the Bro's are younger.

Safety is my main reason for pulling back to 34 as I figure safety and wear and tear on the body are probably why the competition speed lowers at age 35.

It's pretty sad but I haven't skied the course all year. Fortunately, I'm on vacation next week and will have access for much of the week. I am sort of anxious to to start shortening the rope at 34 to see how many extra balls I can get.

I don't participate in competitions so that's not an issue.