PDA

View Full Version : Black flaky crap in bilge

homer12
07-13-2012, 10:52 AM
I've been in the bilge a lot lately getting some things fixed up and keep wondering what this black flaky crap is all over everything in there. Here's a pic under the rear panel behind the motor and under the panel itself. It almost looks like paint that got really hot and is flaking, but it's on things that are never painted, like the mufflers. Any thoughts?

JerryW
07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Looks like some sort of mold or mildew.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
If the black flaky crap is loose, it could be your blower hose disintegrating.

Table Rocker
07-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I think it is dried oil based sludge. That's what it was on my boat before I fixed the oil leak.

homer12
07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
I think both could be right. The blower has has come apart in the bilge and probably some oil leftovers too as some of it has an oily film but wipes right off. I don't see any oil leaks currently, so maybe it was just a botched oil change that left some in there from PO

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Time for 5 gallons of water, a couple squirts of dish soap, and a ride down a bumpy road. Rinsing is the hard work.

homer12
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Time for 5 gallons of water, a couple squirts of dish soap, and a ride down a bumpy road. Rinsing is the hard work.

Won't I have to scrub it too where the black stuff is? I've got a 1hr+ ride to the lake today, I'll put water and cleaner in for the drive.

Lumbergh
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
A little simple green and some paper towels.

Maybe some elbow grease and then you can wax it like the true OCD MCers.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Won't I have to scrub it too where the black stuff is? I've got a 1hr+ ride to the lake today, I'll put water and cleaner in for the drive.

Just don't dump the soap in the lake. I usually go to a self service car wash to drain the bilge.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
A little simple green and some paper towels.

Maybe some elbow grease and then you can wax it like the true OCD MCers.

ski_king
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
About once a year, while in the water I pull my center plug and let about 5 gallons of water into the bilge. I squirt in some of the diluted dish soap I keep in the boat. Then ski the reat of the day. The water gets hot from the engine and sloshes around all day. Always results in a nice clean bilge.

Just don't dump the soap in the lake. I usually go to a self service car wash to drain the bilge.
and the soapy water goes into the storm drain that dumps into the river or lake.

I use antibacterial soap. I fiigure that is my part in cleaning up the enviroment.:rolleyes:;)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
About once a year, while in the water I pull my center plug and let about 5 gallons of water into the bilge. I squirt in some of the diluted dish soap I keep in the boat. Then ski the reat of the day. The water gets hot from the engine and sloshes around all day. Always results in a nice clean bilge.

and the soapy water goes into the storm drain that dumps into the river or lake.

I use antibacterial soap. I fiigure that is my part in cleaning up the enviroment.:rolleyes:;)

These drains go to the sanitary sewer and the water treatment plant.

homer12
07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Looks like oily film, rotten blower hose, etc. from many years of the PO not doing anything to the bilge. Looks like I will be doing this multiple times and with some paper towels to get it where I want it. Thank all!