PDA

View Full Version : Ski recommendations - Intermediate heavyweight

ktrubin
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Been kicking around getting a new ski. I'm a relatively athletic yet untrained slalom skier who skis for fun, I rarely have a chance to run a course. When I do, it's ugly ; ). I ski on an a bigger body of water than can be a bit choppy. I'm 200lbs, 30 years old, and just like to have fun and breathe a little hard. I'm dreaming of this smooth ski that turns on a dime.

My current ski is a 2002??? Connelly Concept, beleive it is a 67. It's the only slalom ski I've ever owned. There's no place to demo skis around here so I just go off of what people tell me, but every really good skier who skis my ski tells me it isn't that great.

To make this more interesting, I'm kind of cheap. I have a brand new set of bindings, so I would like to keep it under $300 for a blank ski. I'm TOTALLY fine with a used ski.

Anyone have any suggestions for a ski that fits the above bill? Maybe I need to save my pennies and just go for a higher end ski to make a difference?

mzimme
07-13-2012, 05:33 PM
For 300 bucks you could find a pretty decent ski on ski-it-again.com

As for what to recommend, I'm not even close to being the person to give you advice, but you might browse that site while you wait for others to chime in.

cmarty123
07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm 5'10 - 190 lbs (48 years old) and bought a 67" Connelly Outlaw this spring. To me this ski is awesome. Makes it easy to get up and turns nice to me. No, I don't do slalom courses. I'm comparing this to using an HO Turbo back in my younger days in the 80's. I know our age is different, but I would classify myself as an intermediate-heavyweight as well.

mikeg205
07-14-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a 1 year old 2011 Ho Comp Free 69" ride I am will to sell - just the ski. I moved to a HO Triumph. Easy to get up on and would sell it for $100 ski. + whatever shipping would cost - have a nice box from the new ski I bought..I put my old bindings on new ski...just the blank plus shipping...It's a great ski to get your self back on the water...very forgiving and not bad in choppy water.. especially good for slower speeds. I moved up because at higher speeds you need to work hard to make the turns. Nice enough to handle a course...

This video sold me...

PM me if interested.

snobinge
07-14-2012, 05:01 PM
HO Triumph

itch2ski
07-15-2012, 04:16 AM
HO Triumph

+1 for the Triumph

hewlett6621
07-15-2012, 04:27 AM
+1 for the Triumph

Great ski I would recommend love mine.

bcd
07-15-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm also skiing on a 67" concept (not sure on the year) and I'm 210. We would both benefit from jumping up to a 68". I don't have any ski recommendations for, although I don't think the Concept is too bad of a ski for the $300. Yours is a little data though.

Have you tried making any adjustments to the fin? That can make a huge adjustment on ski performance.

ktrubin
07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm also skiing on a 67" concept (not sure on the year) and I'm 210. We would both benefit from jumping up to a 68". I don't have any ski recommendations for, although I don't think the Concept is too bad of a ski for the $300. Yours is a little data though.

Have you tried making any adjustments to the fin? That can make a huge adjustment on ski performance.

I have actually been playing with the wing fin a lot lately, but I haven't moved the whole fin assembly forward or back yet. I've played a little bit with binding position, too, but just can't seem to get the thing dialed.

Ever moved your fin forward or back? Mine is smack dab in the middle right now...

ktrubin
07-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a 1 year old 2011 Ho Comp Free 69" ride I am will to sell - just the ski. I moved to a HO Triumph. Easy to get up on and would sell it for $100 ski. + whatever shipping would cost - have a nice box from the new ski I bought..I put my old bindings on new ski...just the blank plus shipping...It's a great ski to get your self back on the water...very forgiving and not bad in choppy water.. especially good for slower speeds. I moved up because at higher speeds you need to work hard to make the turns. Nice enough to handle a course...

This video sold me...

PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer, a nice offer! Don't think that's quite what I'm looking for, though...

ktrubin
07-15-2012, 10:58 PM
For those of you recommending the triumph, for a 200 pound guy, 67 or 69? I tend to run at about 30 MPH depending on lake conditions.

itch2ski
07-16-2012, 12:46 AM
I would recommend the 67 just because it is a widebody ski. I roam from 175-200 and ski anywhere from 28 mph in the course to 32 mph freeskiing. I used to ski a 66 Connelly Concept and have moved up to a 67 HO Coefficient X. I love the new ski, it is night and day difference from the Concept. I demoed a Triumph as well and wish I could have bought both skis (pretty much the same shape, just the Triumph is a little wider). Skiing at 32 on Coefficient X is amazing, but for my 28 mph course runs I wish I had the Triumph. What made my decision is the hope that I will be running the course at 32 mph by the end of the season. Good luck with your decision.

allycat
07-20-2012, 09:12 AM

just a dumb question but what difference does moving the fin forward or back do

madcityskier
07-20-2012, 10:50 AM
just a dumb question but what difference does moving the fin forward or back do

Proceed with caution! Fin adjustment can make all the difference in a ski, but can also be the cause of injury. Gel a good caliper and record your stock settings so that you can get back where you started if this goes badly. At the very least make a mark on the ski for this purpose. Moving the fin forward will make the ski feel shorter. It increases the angle you can create and shortens the turn radius. This can lead to overturning and slack. Moving the fin back will lengthen the ski. You'll get better stability and longer preturn in exchange for less angle. If you're not VERY comfortable on a ski you've been riding for some time I'd wait and work on how I'm skiing the ski before altering the factory setup. If you are skiing well and would like to make a subtle change in the way your ski performs it can make a good ski feel great.
My $0.02

allycat
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
thanks for the reply it makes sense prably should have tryed that before i brought a new ski have a connelly outlaw i played with the wing that helped a bit but never adjusted the fin(not responsive wanted more turn in)that may have fixed it .have a ho 012 triumph to play with now when it warms up