PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter/Gauge Broken MC Prostar 205 1998

mwcga
07-13-2012, 08:26 AM
I am going to see a boat this weekend, but the owner says the hour meter/gauge broke several years ago. He said the local dealer can tell how many actual hours the boat has on it and can give him documentation certifying true hours. I am not questioning the gentlemanís truthfulness, just trying to find out if this is something that can be done on this boat.

A few questions:
Is this possible?
Can the original gauge be fixed?
Can the hour gauge be replaced and set with the correct number of hours?
If the dealer can tell how many hours the boat has on it, is there a good reason to replace the gauge? Iím not worried about maintenance intervals, we will not use it much so yearly maintenance will be performed.

setidball
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
I cannot speak directly to a 1998 but on my 1995:
Is it possible to read the engine hrs directly from the engine: Yes. My MC dealer plugged into the ECM and read the engine hrs. Can the original gage be fixed: Mine could notÖ I replaced it. Can a new meter be set to the current engine hours: Yes, It takes some effort to DIY but I did. I asked the manufacturer of the new tach/hr meter (Faria) for the signal spec, built a electronic circuit to output the specified signal, let it run to the ECM value (plus a few because I was going to use the boat in the mean time), and installed it in the boat. Do you have to replace it: No, but you will have to keep really good records if you ever want to know or sell Ö or take it back to the dealer again for another reading. S

mwcga
07-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Great information, thank you. I think record keeping from the dealer and a new gauge, starting from hour one, will work. When I sell the boat, the dealer hour certification and the new hour reading should put the new buyer at ease. At least it sounds good to me?????