PDA

View Full Version : Something putting draw on starting system

d36yzrider
07-12-2012, 09:26 PM
My 84 S&S has a big issue starts right up when cold runs fine but once you shut it off it wont start for a few hours I have came to the conclusion that something is putting a draw on the starting system it turns over very slow and sometimes the solenoid sticks on I usually have to pull the battery cable which I have replaced both actually I have replaced just about everything. Anyways if anyone has any ideas what my issue is let me know thanks

Jerseydave
07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
If you have a trustworthy independent auto garage near you have them test the starter draw with a VAT40 or similar tester. This can be tested with starter still in the boat but you have to disconnect the kill switch so they can just crank the engine over. Have them test your whole starting system too (battery, etc.)

Or, remove the starter and have it tested at a rebuilder. Sounds like when the starter gets hot it is drawing high amps causing it to spin slowly.

d36yzrider
07-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I just replaced the starter the old one was doing the same thing and when bench tested it spun but sounded horrible

Appling77
07-14-2012, 05:32 AM
I have the same problem on my 91. Voltage draw somewhere.