PDA

View Full Version : Installing new prop

OHpage21
07-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I picked up a new prop from OJ this week and was trying to get it installed tonight. The boat is a 06 X9 with a splined shaft. The old prop came off without a problem, but getting the new one to line up with the spline correctly and slide on has been very tough. I got under and tried to line it up and couldnt get it on. All i hear is a loud metal clunk. When spinning the prop, i dont feel any shake when the splines line up.

Anyone have any suggestions to get the prop seated on the shaft?

Hrkdrivr
07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
I had the same issue with my new drive shaft and new prop. I had to rotate it until everything lined up and it slid right on. Rotate it little by little and see if you can find an orientation that will work. You may have already tried that but I figured I would chime in.

Jerseydave
07-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Sounds crazy but try sliding it on backwards. If it goes right on, do it over and over again. This will help "clean up" the new splines on the new prop in case there is a burr on them.
You can also use spray silicone on the shaft and prop so it slides easier.

OHpage21
07-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Jerseydave - I tried your suggestion. I got it to line up and slide on maybe 1/8th of an inch. Wouldnt go on much past that without some serious pushing. I decided not to force it. I also notices marks on the prop where the splines lined up. You can actually see where the shaft splines knicked the prop spline. It is almost like the prop splines are to big to match to the shaft spline.

O2BESOHUGE
07-13-2012, 08:49 AM
And Add Some Anti Sieze On It And It Will Help Lube It To Slide On Easily Too. This Will Help When You Want To Take It Off Next Time

willyt
07-13-2012, 08:50 AM
this may sound a little crazy but are you sure your not trying to put it on backwards already? you should be able to see the stamp (OJ 14.75x15.5 or something) on the collar of the prop

OHpage21
07-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, I am sure it was going on correctly the first time. It slides on and the splines are at the backside where you can read the OJ Stamp. When i slid it on backwards, you can see the splines on the prop and try to line it up with the shaft.