PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate Fuel Gauge

strongcurt
07-12-2012, 05:05 PM
I have a 2005 x-80. I have put in a new fuel gauge and a new sending unit. I have been told I need to calibrate it.
How do I calibrate my fuel gauge?

osbornda
07-13-2012, 06:02 PM
I have an X-80 also....my gauge goes in and out of being close to accurate. On top of the sender in the tank is two screws. you can watch the gauge and adjust them with the float full or empty....I honestly resorted to opening the ski compartment regularly to check fuel level....its the only sure thing...

tockit
07-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I have a 2005 x-80. I have put in a new fuel gauge and a new sending unit. I have been told I need to calibrate it.
How do I calibrate my fuel gauge?
There are two screws on the sending unit which are potentiometers.
One is your null (or empty adjustment), and the other is your gain (or full adjustment).
For the null, you empty the tank, then adjust the screw until your gauge reads empty.
Then fill up the tank and adjust your gain screw until the gauge reads full.
You can also measure resistance across terminals on each potentiometer, and adjust with a known resistance.
I'm not sure what those resistance values are with these pots though.
Maybe someone will chime in.
The empty and full calibration is more accurate though because sometimes those pots can be a little off.

pwskicat
07-15-2012, 09:10 AM
I was just about to ask the same question. Is the procedure the same for my 92 PS190? Thanks for yr help, PW