PDA

View Full Version : Help! possible bent strut.....

Nords
07-12-2012, 04:15 PM
How do it tell if the strut is bent? (heres some history, hit a rock a few weeks ago, bent the prop and the prop shaft is out 4 thou) just wondering if the strut would be bent too? It really doesn't look bent, but I noticed that when the prop shaft goes into the shaft log the shaft isn't centred. I've heard that it should be off centred a bit to get the prop shaft? Any input would be great. thanks.

Deltaxstar
07-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I dunno what you mean about the prop log. But the prop and the rudder are not centered which is for torque steer so don't go of that. The way you can tell if the strut is bent is see if there is a gap on either side between the shaft and white bushing. I also had a prop accident and my strut is slightly bent and my shaft has a total of 3 thousands end wobble using a dial indicator which is mc's maximum tolerance I have zero vibration tho.

Nords
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I meant shaft log, sorry, (where the prop shaft enters the into the hull) the pro shaft is not centred with the hole going into the hull (its closer to the left side or the hole). Not sure if its suppose to be or not.

mikeg205
07-12-2012, 06:07 PM
measure from the port chine a point on the front or back of strut...then do the same from the starboard on the other side of the strut.

Deltaxstar
07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
My shaft is in the center of the shaft seal. You might be over thinking it tho I thought and worried about all these things when I damaged a prop. I finally said f it and threw a new prop on no vibration and runs smooth as it did and I don't sweat it anymore

Nords
07-12-2012, 06:28 PM
when I'm measuring from the port or starboard strut chine, where am I measuring to to know if it is out of whack?

mikeg205
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
any where on the bottom of the strut. i.e. make a mark on where center mark is where the shaft enters the strut. make sure you go perpendicular to the strut side.