PDA

View Full Version : Which hull?

dobber
07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking to get a new ( to me ) boat and I have narrowed it down to the x1 or the newer x2 and I was wondering about the handling characteristics of both hulls. I've searched this site and got a lot of great info but I thought i'd ask. My family will be boarding, surfing ,and I still like to ski. I know that the 205v is an awesome boat just wondering how the x2 is for setting up for surfing and boarding.Right now I have a 98' PS 190. I stopped at the dealership and they have nothing in stock right now to test drive. Thanks.

mccobmd
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Wait for sand to snow to come along, he had both at the same time. As far as handling I have an X1 and it is like a sports car.

JohnE
07-12-2012, 04:13 PM
X1 probably does everything better, but will be more cramped.

ttu
07-12-2012, 04:25 PM

cramped and does not handle rough water as well!

DemolitionMan
07-12-2012, 04:52 PM

You think it surfs better?

mccobmd
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
You think it surfs better?

I would give the x2 a slight edge on the surfing but I do get a consistent and long wave now that I have my X1 weighted well. The rough water handling is definitely better in the x2. Skiing definitely better for the x1.

76S&S
07-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I would give the x2 a slight edge on the surfing but I do get a consistent and long wave now that I have my X1 weighted well. The rough water handling is definitely better in the x2. Skiing definitely better for the x1.

So how are you wieighted for surfing?

surfacetension
07-13-2012, 09:03 AM
My X2 is a much better surf and wakeboard boat than it is a ski boat, Guess it depends on what you will do more of, I guess if you wieght the X1 you can probably get a good surf wake and still have a great ski boat, X2 is a great rough water boat and handles real nice, I nad an I/O supra and hated the ride, As far as room in a boat the X2 is huge we put 11 people on all the time and no one is cramped

swatguy
07-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Handling and pulling boarders under load the x1 drives like its on rails. It really tracks well and can still be taken in the course skiing. Hands down an X1 wakeboard wake is much better than the X2. The shape, the size, and the length you can ride are all pro caliber. The x 1 skis better, drives better while pulling a skier, and tracks much better. The X2 doesn't have tracking fins and you notice that pulling intermediate to advanced boarder and skiers who really charge behind the boat. With regards to tr surf wake I think the x2 edges it out just barely giving you a bit more pocket to work with. As far as rough water rides........well they are both 20 ft wakeboats with flat hulls. They both are no dream, but the attitude plate on the x2 makes it a bit better. However the x1 rides ok if you keep the center locker sac filled while riding in chop.

Overall if you are looking for a boat to hang out it, cruise the lake and do some Watersports the room in the x2 can't be beat and it's no slouch for a 20 ft'r. Really there is no 20ft boat that will outperform the x 1 in a multisport capacity, or a wakeboard/surf capacity. If you are a hard core, performance oriented, boarder or skier you will appreciate the performance characteristics of the x1 over the space of the x2. Especially coming from the 190. So it boils down to priorities and what your looking for.

swatguy
07-13-2012, 11:20 AM
My surge weight goes 750 in the rear 200 lbs of pop bags right behind driver, KGB center full, and about 400lbs in the nose at 10 mph. I could maybe use a little more in the nose to lengthen the pocket but I prefer the steepness and I like doing 360's an slashing, but I sacrifice the pocket length to actually carve. Setup for goofy of course.

I am on a Hyperlite Landlock still which isn't te ultimate surf machine of a board. I think if I up my board I could use that longer pocket and have more fun, but I just don't surf all that much to warrant a new walker or newer style board just yet.

dobber
07-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks everybody. 99% of the time I will be on inland lakes. I have a cabin up north and we only have a few people on the boat at a time and I still love to ski. So I'm will focus my attention on the x1.

mccobmd
07-13-2012, 11:35 PM
So how are you wieighted for surfing?

To surf I fill the port locker 750lb bag and put a 150lb fat brick in that locker. KGB full, 400lb side sac in the middle of the bow with 150lb fat brick on port bow seat. 400lb side sack on the back seat to the port side. My son driving with on 130lb person sitting on the port side. If I have more people I lose the fat bricks and the 400lb sac in the rear. I ride a Red Woody and can ride all day.(I do surgery for a living so don't risk rope burn, that's why I wear the gloves) I am about 3 1/2 to 4 ft back in this picture

bhasser
07-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Don't make your decision until you drive them both. We are a skiing family as well and were more than satisfied with the x2. You will get alot of opinions what boat is better than what boat. I relate it to buying a new HD tv, you can read all the reviews etc. but until you go look at them it is hard to tell. If you ski behind both, I don't think the difference would sway your decision, I would guess it would be something else.

Good luck!

surfacetension
07-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Nice! , we have a Hyperlite board how do you like that red woody and where can I get one? Also did anyone surf the Mastercraft board yet? It looks good just don''t know much about it

mccobmd
07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I love the red woody. you can make mistakes and recover, it doesn't pearl easy and you can catch up if the water has a lot of boat wakes. I'm not really trying air or spins, just enjoy riding so it is perfect for me. It is made by inland surfer. Mine is 3 years old and got it at the end of a season so at a good price. It is light but epoxy so it is also tough.

Would agree with skiing both boats. I don't think there is enough difference in the three sport performance to sway me. I personally am not a fan of the pickle fork and liked that the X1 had less freeboard. The X2 does have more room but is wider so was a tighter fit in my boat storage.

If I were picking it would probably come down to if you are on the water a the time when there are a lot of tubers and PWC's I would go with the X2. We avoid those times so the X1 fit us fine.

I would add that the X2 and X1 are only equivalent for skiing if the X2 has the wakeplate. I think that is a must if you are going to ski much with that boat.

swatguy
07-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I would 100% agree that the ski wakes are not that far off each other. However what is that far off is the handling and driving at 32-34 mph between the two boats. With an aggressive guy/girl back there the x2 will be "feelIng the pull". I ski at least twice a week and rotate between my XStar, a maristar 200....ie x2 with no wake options .......and a direct drive Moomba outback.

It's totally unfair as both mc's are v drives but that Moomba skis and drives like a champ. Being behind the wheel of the X2 for some of our hardcore guys is a challenge. You will def appreciate the. X1 handling for that. For the average rec skier tho I really think the ski wakes are comparable. Start shortening the line and upping the speeds and the x1 will pull ahead for sure.

mccobmd
07-14-2012, 05:58 PM
I think that is a great point Swatguy has. My X1 is solid as a rock and if you get above 32mph the wake is hard but flat.

dobber
07-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys. I will test drive both hulls.Right now the dealership doesn't have a lot of to pick from.