PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheel Temperature

BoulderX45
07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I wondering how hot the wheels on your trailer should get while towing with tandem axles and tandem brakes? Mine seem to get very hot to the touch. I can't keep my hand on the wheel after a 15 minute tow.

Lucky26
07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Make sure your brakes are released. Flip the tab under the tongue of the trailer to assure they are released. Make sure the cable that activated brakes has not been pulled by mistake.

SilviaMan
07-12-2012, 01:34 PM
electric brakes or surge?
you should be able to touch them, pretty much anytime.
If electric brakes you may have the gain up to high... basically doing all the braking with the trailer.

mikeg205
07-12-2012, 01:38 PM
They will get very warm...especially after a lot of stop and go. I always wait 10 minutes before putting in the water....

To hot to touch could be adjustment issue....any greasing slipping by the rear seal? Jack up the trailer and make sure the wheels free wheel with no pressure on surge or if electric on.

Lucky26
07-12-2012, 01:41 PM
MC trailers come with electric brakes? I was unaware. Mine came with surge brakes. last time I brought boat in for service they activated them without my knowledge. I got a few miles down the road before I smelled them.

SilviaMan
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
MC trailers come with electric brakes? I was unaware. Mine came with surge brakes. last time I brought boat in for service they activated them without my knowledge. I got a few miles down the road before I smelled them.

I have an antique no brakes single axle. I have no idea if they come with electric brakes or not on these new(er) much larger boats / trailers. :)

BoulderX45
07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
They are surge brakes. I didn't know there was an adjustment on the brakes. I'll see if the wheels spin easy once I get them in the air.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I have an antique no brakes single axle. I have no idea if they come with electric brakes or not on these new(er) much larger boats / trailers. :)

Same here, but our light weight boats hardly warrant trailer brakes.

mikeg205
07-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Same here, but our light weight boats hardly warrant trailer brakes.

I have surge...I believe 3K lbs. is threshold when DOT's require brakes on trailers

WakePowell
07-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I wondering how hot the wheels on your trailer should get while towing with tandem axles and tandem brakes? Mine seem to get very hot to the touch. I can't keep my hand on the wheel after a 15 minute tow.

I have an X45 and my wheels are just like yours after towing. I would rather them be cooler but they have yet to cause me any trouble.

Thrall
07-13-2012, 11:07 AM
If you can't keep your hand on the rim after a 15min drive, unless it's ALL downhill, the brakes are sticking.
First, make sure the hub oil is good, but take the brakes apart and grease or anitseize the slides that the pads ride on and anti seize the caliper bolts as well to aid in removal in the future.
Mine were sticking on a almost new (low mile) trailer that was in a dry climate. Haven't had an issue in 3+ years since greasing them up.
Also, with surge brakes, making a long downhill run, they will stay partially engaged even after you let off the brakes unless you crack the throttle a little bit and release the actuator completely. Have to put a little tension between the truck and trailer to get them totally relelased. Keep this in mind on downhills, makes for cooler brakes.
By comparison, my wheels are never too hot to keep your hand on, even after coming down a mtn pass. Hubs will get to where you can only touch them for a few seconds, but not burn your skin hot.

BoulderX45
07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I've been told that the safety wire has been engaged and caused by brakes to "stay appiled" and overheat. I guess when the safety wire has been engaged you have to reset the safety brakes under the tongue. I'll check that every time I tow in the future.

93Prostar190
07-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Sometimes if the ball on your hitch is tool low and the tongue is not level, the brakes can drag .....

setidball
07-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Just measured this last week ...
1995 PS190 single axle with newly professionaly rebuilt bearings and breaks ...
107F after 50 miles of 50 to 60 mph on a 65F day.
127F after 100 miles of 50 to 60 mph on 80F day.

Moosecrackers
07-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Just measured this last week ...
1995 PS190 single axle with newly professionaly rebuilt bearings and breaks ...
107F after 50 miles of 50 to 60 mph on a 65F day.
127F after 100 miles of 50 to 60 mph on 80F day.

Where did you take your temperature measurements?

My results on 2004 MariStar 210, tandem trailer:
Port side front = 96F (new Kodiak caliper & pads)
Port side rear = 98F (OE caliper & pads)
Starboard side front = 156F (OE caliper & pads)
Starboard side rear = 98F (OE caliper & pads)

Air temperature 98F; towing distance = 10 miles. I took my measurements of the wheel temperature with an IR temperature gauge between two lug nuts.

It's obvious what my weekend project is. New Kodiak caliper is waiting in my truck.

setidball
07-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Where did you take your temperature measurements?

Right on the hub with an IR gauge.

BoulderX45
07-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I just purchased a IR Temp reader and will do this test once I get my trailer back from the shop.

BoulderX45
07-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Here are my updated temps after towing home from the boat shop that replaced everything related to the brakes and hubs. Its a 15 min drive and its 69F outside.

Driver Side Front 116F
Driver Side Rear 117F
Pass Side Front 133F
Pass Side Rear 132F

Measured between lug nuts on trailer wheels. Now, the question. Is this normal?

kgrove
08-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Resurrecting this thread...

Sounds like the consensus is "normal" is for your wheels to be somewhere between warm and hot? I don't have the tools to take the temperature, but to me between warm and hot means I can touch it and hold my hand against the wheel, and it is uncomfortable but not painful or burning. I've been having problems with my brakes and am trying to figure out if they are also dragging... I don't think they are.