PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy my first MC....coming from I/O

barry1me
07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Hey guys I have always wanted a V drive wakeboard boat but finally got the wife convinced of it. I currently have a crownline 180 but it gets crowded with wakeboards and struggles getting up on plane with a group on the boat. I want a 06+ X2 and am wondering what things to look for when looking for a used one. Any help would be appreciated. I have looked at new X2s but cant pull the trigger due to sticker shock, and the issues I have heard the newer electronics on them.

scott023
07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
What are you priorities? Wakeboard, surf, chilling? Also, what price rage are you looking for? 06+ X2s are great boats, can't recall there being any consistent issues with them, just one offs come to mind. Any of the available power plants will do great in that boat, so you shouldn't have issues with that.

bstanislaw
07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I have a 06 x2. I bought it in March from Tex.as Mastercraft with 325 hours. I wasn't really interested in it at first but when I test drove it I fell in love. The x2 is a perfect first inboard boat only being 20ft, feels bigger when your driving it. It is a smaller version of an x-star. The wake is perfect size with factory ballast. and much bigger with a group of people.plenty of storage also. I myself had a I/o too, and was ready to upgrade. Bottom line, its a perfect all around boat.

mikeg205
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
+1 for scott and follow this link (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427) to make sure you get it right....

barry1me
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
What are you priorities? Wakeboard, surf, chilling? Also, what price rage are you looking for? 06+ X2s are great boats, can't recall there being any consistent issues with them, just one offs come to mind. Any of the available power plants will do great in that boat, so you shouldn't have issues with that.

exactly the same priorities. Im hoping to find a 06+ for 40-45k range at some point. Any issue with the stock 5.7L, or do you want the MCX? Do they all come with PP, and ballast? What options do I want, and what options do I not want?

scott023
07-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Most I've seen on the market have the MCX in them. No issues with that engine that I'm aware of. Will be more than able to pull anything you want to tow. PP is a must IMO, but isnt a standard feature. All x series boats will have intergrated ballast, unless some crazy person custom ordered one and opted for no ballast.

Once you find some boats you like, post them up and let the forum have a look at them. There are plenty of knowledgable members here that will give you all the info you need to make a great purchase.

tr6coug
07-12-2012, 01:38 AM
In my opinion, these options that are a must:
Tower speakers 2 = OK 4 = Better
Perfect Pass.
Heater

If it doesn't have PP, you can add it pretty easily for ~$1k

There aren't any options that I know of that I would avoid. I would not pay extra for things like an integrated table, seat heat, boot lube, shower, etc.

dsword
07-12-2012, 01:50 AM
If you find a good boat with the RTP-1 engine don't pass it up.

BrooksfamX2
07-12-2012, 09:19 AM
In my opinion, these options that are a must:
Tower speakers 2 = OK 4 = Better
Perfect Pass.
Heater

If it doesn't have PP, you can add it pretty easily for ~$1k

There aren't any options that I know of that I would avoid. I would not pay extra for things like an integrated table, seat heat, boot lube, shower, etc.

To add to this, the 07+ has the newer tower design. I got my 07 X2, MCX last November with 97 hours for ~46K . The Mastercraft Cruise Control works pretty good and the ballast timers are inconsistant but that can be dealt with. Mine has 4 tower speakers w/lights, extra amp and sub, no heater or other options. I got a 12V electric travel blanket for $25 for the wife and it works pretty good vs. $500 to add a heater.

Love the X2..............:D

moleson10
07-12-2012, 10:51 AM
+1
Look for a 2007 or newer to get the new tower design. It updates the look and will help eventual resale.

bjames
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
+1
Look for a 2007 or newer to get the new tower design. It updates the look and will help eventual resale.

And make sure it has the diagonal tower braces installed :)

ttu
07-12-2012, 11:32 AM
And make sure it has the diagonal tower braces installed :)

true! to be honest i have a 07 x2 and love the boat but wish i had the 06 tower.

barry1me
07-12-2012, 07:55 PM
true! to be honest i have a 07 x2 and love the boat but wish i had the 06 tower.

why do you wish you had the older tower?

ttu
07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
the older towers didn't have as much sway. however they do look better. just make sure you get the tower braces and you will be fine.

my mc is better built than my previous two inboards!

Specter
07-13-2012, 06:44 AM
About 3 weeks ago we traded in our I/O, Chaparral 216 w/ 5.0l VP, for a new X-30. We didn't plan on doing that but the deal on the MC was too good to pass up. While Chaparral makes a great boat, the build quality of the MC is far greater. Here are a few things I've learned after 3 weeks of MC ownership:

Vinyl Seat Cushion Quality. MC takes a lot of pride in their seats and it shows. From cross-stitching to embroidered logos, the level of detail is unsurpassed.

V-Drive vs. I/O. Driving an MC or any v-drive for that matter is going to be a different experience. It's like driving a Honda Accord and then jumping into a Porsche 911. When in neutral on an I/O, the outdrive will still move and guide you in a certain direction. The v-drive has a fixed prop and rudder so you'll have to learn to bump a lot to get the boat turned when parking. Also, v-drive's only back to the right since the prop doesn't push water through a rudder in reverse.

Weight. Unless you're coming from a huge I/O the MC may likely be heavier. We gained about 600lbs with our X-30 and it acts and feels like a different animal.

I'll close by saying that pulling the trigger will be a good move. I wouldn't trade my MC for anything. You would be hard pressed in getting me to go back to an I/O.

Thrall
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I have an 06 X2 and quite a bit of time around an 06 X15 which mechanically identical, different hull.
Things to look out for.....Nothing in particular that would be considered a weak point as far as driveability or reliability is concerned, except the fuel pump. The pump (all models of MC's with the in tank pump) is notorious for giving up around the 3-400 hour mark or sooner if run out of fuel or run low alot. $400+ assembly from the dealer or <$100 for a replacement pump from the parts store. Not a difficult repair.
I'll echo the 06 tower being a bit sturdier, but wouldn't turn down an 07+ because of it.
06-07 have good ole stepper motor guages and no digital controls (Vdig, BIG) to worry about malfunctioning. I prefer that and apparently so do others as MC started offering their boats again in 2011? with traditional guages in lieu of the digital touch screen as an option.
Again not worth turning down a boat if it has Vdig controls, but in you price range you're pretty much looking at 06-07 anyway.
Another weak spot, in all models, is the shoddy wiring for the stereo amps and ballast pump power. Looks like an after thought, just cobbled onto the battery terminals. Many, myself, bud with the X15 as well have had trouble with stereo "noise", ground loops, connections, etc. Also the factory speakers are traditionally way underpowered, so if loud tunes are important to you, plan on some work there or look for one that has been set up properly.
Another consideration, optional equipment is expensive to add on after the fact, so make a good list of what's important to you options wise and try to find those options in the boat you're buying, or at least know how much $$ is involved to add them. You can easily burn up a few thousand dollars adding speakers, amps, heater, PP, etc.

Perfect Pass vs MC cruise. I prefer PP, but the MC Cruise works very well in the X15 I mentioned. Again, IMO, look for PP, but don't turn down a deal with cruise.

MCX vs RTP (base engine). MCX is obviously the upgraded 350 engine and alot shinier, but you can only see that when the deck is up. Find the boat you want and know that you can get a bit better deal with the base engine. Both will push the X2 just fine.
Oh and if you don't like emissions, get pre 08, that's when the engines started having cats on the exhaust. Not a problem, just a preference.

barry1me
07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I have an 06 X2 and quite a bit of time around an 06 X15 which mechanically identical, different hull.
Things to look out for.....Nothing in particular that would be considered a weak point as far as driveability or reliability is concerned, except the fuel pump. The pump (all models of MC's with the in tank pump) is notorious for giving up around the 3-400 hour mark or sooner if run out of fuel or run low alot. $400+ assembly from the dealer or <$100 for a replacement pump from the parts store. Not a difficult repair.
I'll echo the 06 tower being a bit sturdier, but wouldn't turn down an 07+ because of it.
06-07 have good ole stepper motor guages and no digital controls (Vdig, BIG) to worry about malfunctioning. I prefer that and apparently so do others as MC started offering their boats again in 2011? with traditional guages in lieu of the digital touch screen as an option.
Again not worth turning down a boat if it has Vdig controls, but in you price range you're pretty much looking at 06-07 anyway.
Another weak spot, in all models, is the shoddy wiring for the stereo amps and ballast pump power. Looks like an after thought, just cobbled onto the battery terminals. Many, myself, bud with the X15 as well have had trouble with stereo "noise", ground loops, connections, etc. Also the factory speakers are traditionally way underpowered, so if loud tunes are important to you, plan on some work there or look for one that has been set up properly.
Another consideration, optional equipment is expensive to add on after the fact, so make a good list of what's important to you options wise and try to find those options in the boat you're buying, or at least know how much $$ is involved to add them. You can easily burn up a few thousand dollars adding speakers, amps, heater, PP, etc.

Perfect Pass vs MC cruise. I prefer PP, but the MC Cruise works very well in the X15 I mentioned. Again, IMO, look for PP, but don't turn down a deal with cruise.

MCX vs RTP (base engine). MCX is obviously the upgraded 350 engine and alot shinier, but you can only see that when the deck is up. Find the boat you want and know that you can get a bit better deal with the base engine. Both will push the X2 just fine.
Oh and if you don't like emissions, get pre 08, that's when the engines started having cats on the exhaust. Not a problem, just a preference.

Excellent post exactly the time of info Im looking for. Is MC cruise the standard option and PP an option? What are your thoughts on aftermarket tower speakers/amps vs MC factory installed stuff? your thoughts are the same as mine about getting a boat with the basic switchs not the touch screen electronics. What about the water pump impellors?

tr6coug
07-14-2012, 02:27 PM
MC cruise is standard, PP is optional. Like Thrall said don't turn down a boat because it doesn't have PP, MC cruise may work fine for you. For me though PP works better and I wouldn't change back to MC cruise.

I have factory JL speakers and Clarion amp. Speakers sound great and are plenty loud enough for our use but you will get a better deal on aftermarket tower speakers like Exile or Wetsounds. The MC tower speakers are very expensive. The 5 year old Clarion amp I have is starting to go though and will need to be replaced.

Given the choice of standard analog gauges vs the touch screens like VDIG, I would go with analog gauges. I don't want to have to try to replace a touch screen in 5 - 10 years when they are out of production. Touch screens seem like more of a distraction / complication anyway.

Impellers are a wear item and need to be replaced occasionally. Engine impeller every year and ballast when they fail.