PDA

View Full Version : 99 Pro star 190 v's early 90's

cragginshred
07-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I am curious regarding the 99 prostar 190 versus the ones in the early 90's that were highly acclaimed per waterski mag and from others. My main questions is why are the 90-94 prostars listed as the ones to go for v's say the 99? By the way looking to make the switch from Correct craft to the 99 prostar, any info helpful!

TRBenj
07-11-2012, 03:08 PM
It sounds like you are setting yourself up for disappointment in the worst possible way! :D

lettmeknow
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Don't buy the Deathstar! :D

JohnE
07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
91-94 and 95-97 are considered great ski boats. Not as much with the 98 - 00 model In '01 the evo hull debuted with higher acclaim. In the late 90's CC basically kicked the prostar's butt.

lettmeknow
07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
The 2001 sucked too. Unless you have a mid eighties nautank I would stay clear of the 99.

JohnE
07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
The 2001 sucked too. Unless you have a mid eighties nautank I would stay clear of the 99.

Did take them a few years to dial in the hull.

mcparadise
07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Did take them a few years to dial in the hull.
I have a 1998 closed-bow Sportstar 19, which I believe is the same hull as the closed bow Prostar 190 that year (right?) Not that it really matters because I think she's a great boat with an awesome tug, but for situational awareness, what am I missing? I thought I read all the TT historical info and didn't find anything to put on my radar screen. Please PM me if this is not interesting or old hat which most TTer's know and I just haven't found yet.

lettmeknow
07-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I have a 1998 closed-bow Sportstar 19, which I believe is the same hull as the closed bow Prostar 190 that year (right?) Not that it really matters because I think she's a great boat with an awesome tug, but for situational awareness, what am I missing? I thought I read all the TT historical info and didn't find anything to put on my radar screen. Please PM me if this is not interesting or old hat which most TTer's know and I just haven't found yet.

no its , the same hull as 1995-1997 which was better.

mcparadise
07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
no its , the same hull as 1995-1997 which was better.
I guess I'm confused after I read below from TT:

"The 1995-1997 ProStar 190 hull proved to be so versatile it remained in production for eight consecutive years (1995-2002) under five separate model names – ProStar 190, 19 Skier, SportStar 19, ProStar 195, and X-5."

So which is it? lol...

mcparadise
07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
BUT, I also found below:

"Since the 1995-1997 ProStar 190 hull is slightly smaller than the 1998-2000 ProStar 190 hull, some have suggested that the 1995-1997 ProStar 190 hull is a little more nimble than subsequent versions of the ProStar 190 (1998-2000 and Evo versions). The 1995-1997 version of the ProStar 190 hull also has slightly more freeboard than the ProStar 190 Evo hull (2001 to current)."

and

"In 1998, the Pro Star 190 hull changed once more when the seventh generation tournament hull was introduced. This hull was originally introduced by MasterCraft in 1998 with three (3) tracking fins. MasterCraft has stated that the 1998 ProStar 190 hull dramatically lowers spray and improves tracking. However, as one water skier noted, “To state that the redesign of the 1998 ProStar 190 has sparked a great deal of discussion amongst water ski enthusiasts would be an understatement.”"

and

"The 1998-2000 MasterCraft ProStar 190 is 19’6” long, 85” wide, weights about 2,600 lbs (one inch longer, the same width and 150 lbs heavier than the sixth generation hull)."

I'm sure it all makes sense though, once you understand. I'm just too new for that ;-)

lettmeknow
07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
You have the same hull as the 1995-1997 ProStar 190, That hull in 98 was renamed (SportStar 19, ProStar 195, and X-5)with the introduction of the Deathstar.

cragginshred
07-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Ok, I am trying to keep up here. You all are saying there was a hull change in 98 or 99 that made the wake worse as well as an increase of 150lbs? Are there other Specifics I need to know other than get an early 90's or stick with a 97-01 Ski Nautique *I am looking for a ski specific tournament type wake* Thanks!

lettmeknow
07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Long story short, the 98-2000 ps190 was known to track terribly , have a hard wake and and sometimes even chine lock ( did so on the AWSA test, thus nicknamed the Deathstar). MC try to fix some of these issues with a winged rudder, a fourth tracking fin and bolt on rails. Honestly the boat isnt that bad, but there are better. A 97-2001 CC will be a better tow boat. Or get a 91-97ps 190.

mcparadise
07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Long story short, the 98-2000 ps190 was known to track terribly , have a hard wake and and sometimes even chine lock ( did so on the AWSA test, thus nicknamed the Deathstar). MC try to fix some of these issues with a winged rudder, a fourth tracking fin and bolt on rails. Honestly the boat isnt that bad, but there are better. A 97-2001 CC will be a better tow boat. Or get a 91-97ps 190.
I didn't know what chine lock means but found this on wake world discussions:

"Chine Locking or Hard Chine, is when the boat either falls to one side or is pushed to one side by a swell (I'm not reffering to turning to the side but hard listing.) Once it is pushed far enough, one of the longitudinals that run on both sides of the keel take over as the keel. This causes the boat to ride listed over constantly until the power is taken off and the boat settles back into position. Chine lock is dangerous not only because the boat is listing hard to one side and the freeboard on that side becomes extremely minimal, but because the boat can turn hard to the side it is leaning toward ejecting people or rolling the boat. The best way to counter this chine lock is to reduce speed. As a Surfman in the U.S. Coast Guard I encounter this all the time during heavy weather operations. There are other methods to release a chine but dropping the speed is the safest. If you are paying particular attention to the feel of the boat you can tell when the boat is about to chine. Turning the wheel is an effective way to avoid a hard chine or chine lock, because in most instances turning slows the boat just enough to allow the boat to settle again."

Seems like a good definition to me, but that don't mean much..

cragginshred
07-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Great info,... Thanks!

lettmeknow
07-11-2012, 08:22 PM
You basically loose steering control. All boats are suseptable to this, however the "Deathstar " did it during the AWSA test and ended up on shore. Not good! I've seen happen on and 02 190 as well.

mcparadise
07-11-2012, 08:26 PM
And, I also found by continuing the same wake world discussion thread the below, which might be more pertinent to ski boating:

"I will say that a small boat chine lock is most likely encountered in a moderate to hard turn. Some boats will only chine lock turning in one direction (right vs. left). This has to do with the way the boat rides in the corner of a turn, and the rotation of the prop.

The skegs or chines on the bottom our hulls are intended to improve directional stability. This is great when they are pointed down, but during a turn they obviously rise to the outside of the turn. They are also likely pointed nose high at this point. Typically, the boat is nose high due to passengers in the rear, or heavy weighting aft. Now instead of acting like a rudder, they begin to take on behavior of a wing. These forces actually add to the rolling of the hull to the inside of the turn, yet are pulling the hull to the outside of the turn. It's at this point that the boat will almost squat as if to say we turn no more, we're in the rockin' chair right here.

I would say chine locks are more pronounced on a V-hull boat. The V-hull now acts more like a flat bottom boat. In a right turn, the rudder is turning the boat right, but the chines are like a wing holding the center line of the boat up and seemingly left, and the right side of the V-hull is nearly flat to the water. Now the boat is locked up, not turning right and not turning left.

When this happens, a boat can be looking at a shore that previously was far away, but is now dead ahead! There is one sure fire way to get of this condition, and that is to reduce power or come to a full stop if required to avoid an impact. I personally have had to throw the boat into full reverse! In some boats, you can add more turn to the wheel, and this alone will be enough to overcome the lifting force on the chines and swings the back around through the turn."

Again, might be decent info for some to keep in the back of their minds...jump in if someone can add further quantifying or qualifying info....I realize that all the above, etc. might not be germane to 1998~2000 PS190's, but that Deathstar nickname hit me pretty hard....knock on wood.

JohnE
07-12-2012, 11:19 AM
You basically loose steering control. All boats are suseptable to this, however the "Deathstar " did it during the AWSA test and ended up on shore. Not good! I've seen happen on and 02 190 as well.

I've heard about it on the early Evo hulls too. And that MC didn't believe it until one higher up officer of the company ran one aground. It was explained to me that the early evos were a symmetrical hull design which can make it prone to chine lock. And that the hulls were slightly redesigned to make them asymmetrical.

lettmeknow
07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I saw it from behind the rope ! I was thinking to myself what the ?!$& is my driver doing ? Pushed it back in and kept skiing.

bret
07-13-2012, 07:16 AM
If you can find a mint 94, one great handling boat and ski boat.

lettmeknow
07-30-2012, 01:53 PM
FYI the M3 western regionals champ ran 4@39 this weekend and he trains behind the "Deathstar" . So Like I stated earlier , its not that bad!

jay
09-08-2012, 05:57 PM
98-00 is commonly referred to as DISASTERCRAFT on our lake...I am just sayin'...

jay
09-08-2012, 07:32 PM
FYI the M3 western regionals champ ran 4@39 this weekend and he trains behind the "Deathstar" . So Like I stated earlier , its not that bad!

The "not that bad" 98-00 "deathstar" "disastercraft" is most certainly a dream to ski behind compared to all but a small handfull other brands on the market. Esp true to the novice skier used to his old 4-cyl IO!

carlsonwa
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I began to experience this only this year with my 99' Sportstar, I thought it may have been since I have additional weight up under the bow, including an additional battery and dual 10" fiberglass sub box. I have experienced this issue this year only under the following conditions: pulling a water skier, with 2-3 people forward of the pylon, turning sharp at 30-32 mph, no weight what so ever in the back of the boat. Feels like all of a sudden I loose my steering, and the boat begins to lean/list in the direction I am turning, almost like a I/O (inboard/outboard) acts when turning sharp while on plane.

Does this sound like this "chine" issue. Wow never would have known this was a common issue throughout these year boats, with the forum.

Hammer
09-10-2012, 06:29 PM
I began to experience this only this year with my 99' Sportstar, I thought it may have been since I have additional weight up under the bow, including an additional battery and dual 10" fiberglass sub box. I have experienced this issue this year only under the following conditions: pulling a water skier, with 2-3 people forward of the pylon, turning sharp at 30-32 mph, no weight what so ever in the back of the boat. Feels like all of a sudden I loose my steering, and the boat begins to lean/list in the direction I am turning, almost like a I/O (inboard/outboard) acts when turning sharp while on plane.

Does this sound like this "chine" issue. Wow never would have known this was a common issue throughout these year boats, with the forum.

Your 99 Sportstar is the 95-97 hull with a new deck on it. The 98 and up PROSTAR's have the problem described, though rare. I'm sure under the corect conditions what you experienced could very well have been "chine lock".

east tx skier
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Ok, I am trying to keep up here. You all are saying there was a hull change in 98 or 99 that made the wake worse as well as an increase of 150lbs? Are there other Specifics I need to know other than get an early 90's or stick with a 97-01 Ski Nautique *I am looking for a ski specific tournament type wake* Thanks!

Do you have a TSC (97--2001) Ski Nautique? If so, to say nothing negative about the 91--97 190 or Sportstar, keep your Ski Nautique.

Any boat can chine walk. I have done it in an older 205. If you are in shallow water with weight in the bow and take off in a turn, you can get a boat walking without much effort.

Any propensity toward this condition that the 1998 PS 190 may have had was addressed by MC. As for the wake, tracking, turning, comfort, etc., only you can decide if it meets your expectations. If you have the chance to ski behind one, you'll either love it, be underwhelmed, or hate it, but you'll know what you're missing or whether you can live without owning one.