PDA

View Full Version : Factory MC cover Patches?

MC X-15
07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
My 08 factory cover has seen better days. It has a few rips that can't be sewn up to fix. Has anyone had any experience patching a freyed hole about 6 inches by 10 inches. I am plannign on getting a new cover this winter while the boat is stored but am trying to make it through this summer. I was think a iron patch or something similiar. Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Rob

Thrall
07-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Find an upholstery shop, they can fix it for you.
My cover had a 3' long tear across the transom and a couple other holes. WInd shredded it on a long road trip.
Local upholstery shop fixed it for $80. Went thru the whole cover, did a little stitching here and there and double sided patches where it was torn.

MC X-15
07-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Great idea. My problem is It has to be done in a day, so maybe i can find a shop that has quick turnaround. I dont have another cover and my boat lives on a lift during the summer. IM away from it during the week so I cant have it uncovered the entire week. I was hoping to grab some patches and do it myself.

bjames
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Often they will do the repair by putting in a new panel. Shouldnt be that noticable.

CruisinGA
07-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Tarp the boat for the week the cover is being repaired.

Thrall
07-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Tarp the boat for the week the cover is being repaired.

That's what I was going to suggest.
Even has a tower to drape the tarp over = no water pooling!

Or call around and find a shop that you can schedule the day to do it.
My cover, 2 small and one large patch took them an hour.

gts-20
07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
The factory cover for our '08 has seen better days. It tore where the 3 straps attach to the rear. our dealer had their upolstery guy patch it in all three spots. $65, and he even reinforced the area so it wouldn't tear again. In and out in 1 day.

mzimme
07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
I would imagine if you called around and explained the situation you could set up a day with the upholstery shop to get it done that day. Can't take more than an hour or so for someone that knows what they're doing.

MC X-15
07-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replys! Hopefully I can find a shop to do it in a day. If not ill use a tarp

orbeamlb
07-14-2012, 09:46 AM
My 08 factory cover has seen better days. It has a few rips that can't be sewn up to fix. Has anyone had any experience patching a freyed hole about 6 inches by 10 inches. I am plannign on getting a new cover this winter while the boat is stored but am trying to make it through this summer. I was think a iron patch or something similiar. Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Rob

For iron on patches you can go to a fabric store and they should sell iron on strips. My "88 PS200 still has the original cover and it had a few long tears in it when I bought the boat last November. I used the patches with good results (the patches on mine are black and my cover is blue, not pretty but I was looking for a quick fix). Holding strong 8 months after application.

Definitely a cost effective fix seeing you plan to replace the cover anyway.

Mike

here's an example:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Iron-On-Mending-Tape-1-1-4-X13----Assorted-Colors-Patches_stcVVproductId47584644VVcatId539576VVviewp rod.htm

MC X-15
07-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I am going to try to go the Patch route. Any idea what the cover is made out of or what material patched I should get?? I assume it would have to be the same or similiar material. Also the thickness?

Thanks for all the help

gts-20
07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I am going to try to go the Patch route. Any idea what the cover is made out of or what material patched I should get?? I assume it would have to be the same or similiar material. Also the thickness?

Thanks for all the help

I think the material my factory cover is made from is called SurLast. The guy who patched ours used the exact same material.

orbeamlb
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM

Thanks for all the help

I think mine is made of Sunbrella or similar material. The iron on strips worked wonders for my 24 year old cover.