PDA

View Full Version : Splined Prop Change Instructions

davomaddo
07-10-2012, 04:00 PM
X-15 2009. I need to change my prop for the first time. SkiDim said I had a splinned prop and I didn't need to order a prop puller. Does anyone have instuctions on how to change a splined prop? Is it as simple as removing the cotter pin, bult, and swapping out the prop?

If so, let me know. If there is anything more to it, I would greatly appreciate some tips or instructions.

FYI - I tried to search for this, but couldn't find relavent info.

ttu
07-10-2012, 04:05 PM
don't take the nut all the way off. otherwise once you break it free it will come flying down the shaft!!!

Scott
07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
you can tap on the prop to loosen it.. rubber mallet, at the rear ,base of the prop.. not the blades, but i fig you knew that..:D

davomaddo
07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks - sounds pretty simple. When I put it back on, do I have to tap it back in there with a mallet or just push it on there and tighten the nut up?

Scott
07-10-2012, 06:02 PM
push it on and snug the nut..;)

O2BESOHUGE
07-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Use Anti Sieze On The Shaft When It Goes Back On! Makes It Easier For Ext Time Coming Off!

davomaddo
07-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the help.
I replaced the prop on Wednesday. It took less than 10 minutes and was about the easiest boat maintainance thing I have done. I guess I over analyzed it. I just wanted to have my stuff all together to minimize down time.

In case someone searches this topic in the future here is my experience on replacing a Splined Prop - 2009 MX X-15
Tools - large crescent wrench, needle nose plyers, 3 ft 2x4, rubber mallet (may not need)
1. Take out cotter pin with needle nose plyers
2. Use 2x4 to wedge between prop to stop it from spinning
3. Use crescent wrench to unscrew bolt almost all the way off
4. Pull on prop to dislodge it. I was able to just pull it with my hands. Some may need a rubber mallet. A prop pluller most likely won't be needed with a splined prop. As I said, I didn't even have to use the hammer - I just pulled it off with my hands with out much effort required.
5. Remove the nut
6. Remove old prop
7. Put new prop on
8. Scew bolt on tight
9. Put the cotter pin back in

FYI - my brand new prop didn't look perfect when I got it. Some of the machined grooves were sanded off. I guess this is normal and done when they balance the prop. I posted a pic on another post.