PDA

View Full Version : 2012 X-30 Issues so far after 22 hours

BlakeEatmon
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
First off, Let me say that I am absolutely thrilled about my new boat. Surf wake is incredible which is primarily why I traded up from an 08 X-2. However with that being said, I have a few issues that I wouldn't expect from a $100,000 boat. Has anyone sle experienced any of these issues?

1. My glove box will not stay closed. When the boat hits a wake or flexes the least little bit, it opens up. I have tried shimming the latch etc. Nothing has worked.

2. The vinyl where it tucks in on the steering wheel behind the metal spokes is coming out in several places.

3. Decking on fiberglass platform is already starting to pop up at the back rolled lip.

4. Perfect Pass when set at 10mph, runs up to 14-16 mph and then finally settles back down after 30 to 45 seconds or so. I have already calibrated with a GPS. This did not help.

5. Whining from engine compartment (6.2) at low fwd speed (just bumping it into gear moving forward).

bjames
07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Sorry to here you are having issues. Here are my comments;

4. Perfect Pass when set at 10mph, runs up to 14-16 mph and then finally settles back down after 30 to 45 seconds or so. I have already calibrated with a GPS. This did not help.I had the same issue. You need to change the KWD and CS for your PP. You can access this from the BIG by going into "Help > Cruise... then change the settings. Mine overshoots by less than 1 mph now.

5. Whining from engine compartment (6.2) at low fwd speed (just bumping it into gear moving forward).[/QUOTE] If it sounds like a pully or belt squeaking, A lot of us are experiencing the same issue. I had my belt replaced under warranty and for the most part, it went away. Hovever, I did notice that if I got water splashes into the engine, the squeak came back. Upon inspection, I noticed that the transom cup holders have a drain hole at the bottom, Apparently, the drain hole is very close to being directly over the belt.

Heelgrad
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Blake, sounds like you've got a few warranty issues your dealer needs to tale care of for you. Regarding Perfect Pass, the best mode for surfing is RPM mode. It holds low speeds much better. We surf anywhere from 2750-2900 rpms and I also have the 6.2 motor. Experiment with that and you'll like it much better. You also probably need a new serp belt to rid of the whining. I had the same issue and it was gone after the belt replacement. I believe Ilmor is using a new supplier for their belts now. The other things your dealer should get taken care of for you. I know its frustrating but all can be easily remedied. Good luck with it all. Congrats on the new boat!!

Heelgrad
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Your PP settings should be 650, 90 and 90. Only speaking for myself but those settings have worked best for me and my PP keeps speed within a 1/2 mph of my target speed.

mim3
07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
1. My glove box will not stay closed. When the boat hits a wake or flexes the least little bit, it opens up. I have tried shimming the latch etc. Nothing has worked.

Yes

2. The vinyl where it tucks in on the steering wheel behind the metal spokes is coming out in several places.

Havn't noticed

3. Decking on fiberglass platform is already starting to pop up at the back rolled lip.

4. Perfect Pass when set at 10mph, runs up to 14-16 mph and then finally settles back down after 30 to 45 seconds or so. I have already calibrated with a GPS. This did not help.

didn't order the screen, the GPS is working fine, can check settings if needed

5. Whining from engine compartment (6.2) at low fwd speed (just bumping it into gear moving forward

Yes. Not sure if it is engine or transmission at 1500-1800 RPM

Will add:

The bimini is really tight (stretching the seams).
Bimini cover has ripped at one zipper (doesn't fit well).
Boat cover also seems to be not well laid out for fit and finish.
Issue at delivery with throttle linkage (dealer resolved).

All in all very pleased so far with the 30.

bjames
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Your PP settings should be 650, 90 and 90. Only speaking for myself but those settings have worked best for me and my PP keeps speed within a 1/2 mph of my target speed.

With your KDW at 90, doesnt it take longer to plane?

Too bad you could get the CS down below 650. I bet if we were able to set the CS to 500, it would never overspeed.

Heelgrad
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Too bad you could get the CS down below 650. I bet if we were able to set the CS to 500, it would never overspeed.

I haven't noticed any issues with planing using these settings, but maybe that's just because of a difference in the hull design of the 45 vs 25. Doubt it, but who knows.

Nick911
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Bryan what are your PP settings?

Stefan
07-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Same on my 2012 X-15, so much for stiffness

Seen on two other 2012 Boats, not on mine though (yet)

5. Whining from engine compartment (6.2) at low fwd speed (just bumping it into gear moving forward).

probably the problem written most about with 6.0/6.2 Ilmor's, haven't heard/read of a plausible cause or solution yet...

The bimini is really tight (stretching the seams).
Bimini cover has ripped at one zipper (doesn't fit well).

I double those, had to replace one Zipper already

Specter
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM

I have a '12 X-30 as well and this very thing is on my punch list. It's not coming open as you state but mine will not seal to the rubber trim that's in place. My dealer stated that they will fix it by most likely shortening the gas shock. Once mine is fixed I'll let you know what they did if you haven't received a fix before then.

I haven't noticed this with mine but I will check.

Mine appears ok but since it takes an afternoon beating from the sun I'm expecting issues soon.

KnoxVol
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM
For the swim platform, check with your dealer about getting more of those plastic rivets for the lip, in addition to new glue. I noticed the new X-Star has more than my X30 has and they have the same platform.

bjames
07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Bryan what are your PP settings?

Going by memory, I think it KDM=220 & CS=650

Scott
07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
With 37 hours, this is what I have going on..

Havnt noticed problem with glove box.

havnt observed the pp issues.. Yet?

bimini is tight, but no zipper issues, at this point.

The only vinyl issues, I have, is a slight tear on coffin seat(dealer said a warranty deal) and a stray peice of vinyl, appears to be excess, on the top of the observers seat.

I find it, absurd!!!! to not have a latch or shocks on the ice chest and garbage seat... I had dealer install a latch... MY Expense.. I think that is it, at this point..

Specter
07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
With 37 hours, this is what I have going on..

Havnt noticed problem with glove box.

havnt observed the pp issues.. Yet?

bimini is tight, but no zipper issues, at this point.

The only vinyl issues, I have, is a slight tear on coffin seat(dealer said a warranty deal) and a stray peice of vinyl, appears to be excess, on the top of the observers seat.

I find it, absurd!!!! to not have a latch or shocks on the ice chest and garbage seat... I had dealer install a latch... MY Expense.. I think that is it, at this point..
I have tears or holes on almost all of my cushions. This was pointed out before delivery so they're going to warranty them. Mine was a boat show model so I'm sure the damage was from show patrons.

How much was the latch for the ice chest seat? I agree with you but I did notice that they would have to install a shock on the outer edge which could be problematic for the fiberglass. If they installed it in the normal shock location it would almost block the cooler from entry/exit. I'd love to see pictures of your setup.

Scott
07-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Not sure, but I think my tear was caused from the coffin seat popping up, while the tower was down..The latch was 58.00 plus labor.. Not cheap, for something that should have been there, in the first place!! No pics, yet.. I will try to remember to snap a few this next weekend.. btw, the pad on the platform, is coming up, on one side..

JTNG
07-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey Guys, Just got back to reality from being at the lake for the Maiden voyage of our 2012 X30.
Glvoe box popping open yes!, courtesy lights/underwater lights dont come on i will have to check the panel under the dash just didnt have time. Bimini is very tight to the point that the arm bends outward once its latched down. Have the 6.0 and have noticed no squeeking.
Have brought up all issues with my dealer and im confident they will fix them. Just wish MC would communicate better with the dealers.
Would be nice to have a clock on the dash?
As far as the platform goes I odered fiberglass with the boat, it came with teak. My dealer said there are recall issues with the platform so check with your dealer on a replacement or fix.
Here is one photo on the water.:D
Overall I love it!!

Yellow X9
07-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Just an opion-
As im concidering getting the 30- For $80+ K, U would would think the boat would have NO issues, I have spent less on NEW trucks and miled the piss out of them
with no issues. and MC wants to have yet another percentage increase- better start getting the issues with new boats resolved 1st, before they get delivered to the dealers / customers-and yes I own a MC- 05-X9

Just say n

JTNG
07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Just an opion-
As im concidering getting the 30- For $80+ K, U would would think the boat would have NO issues, I have spent less on NEW trucks and miled the piss out of them
with no issues. and MC wants to have yet another percentage increase- better start getting the issues with new boats resolved 1st, before they get delivered to the dealers / customers-and yes I own a MC- 05-X9

Just say n

I agree! I think there is a LACK OF COMMUNICATION between MC and the dealers. My 2010 Ford F350 had a few issues when i purchased it but it was only half the price:D My 1st house was half the price of my X30, My dealer said he takes some responsibility for not testing the boat out completely, but on the other hand my last 6 Mastercrafts (since 1990) never had any issues.

JimN
07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
First off, Let me say that I am absolutely thrilled about my new boat. Surf wake is incredible which is primarily why I traded up from an 08 X-2. However with that being said, I have a few issues that I wouldn't expect from a $100,000 boat. Has anyone sle experienced any of these issues?

#1 is a dealer issue.
#2 is a steering wheel manufacturer issue and is under warranty. Ultimately, the dealer should handle this, not MC directly.
#3 is a platform manufacturer issue, ultimately handled by the dealer.
#4 is a PP issue, ultimately handled by the dealer. If they can't get it to work properly, MC becomes involved unless they require going direct to PP (this is actually more efficient than going through a third person).
#5 if it's excessive (compared to normal, not compared to what you expect), it should be heard by the dealer, who forwards the complaint or contacts MC about it. Just because it whines, doesn't mean it has a problem.

JimN
07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey Guys, Just got back to reality from being at the lake for the Maiden voyage of our 2012 X30.
Glvoe box popping open yes!, courtesy lights/underwater lights dont come on i will have to check the panel under the dash just didnt have time. Bimini is very tight to the point that the arm bends outward once its latched down. Have the 6.0 and have noticed no squeeking.
Have brought up all issues with my dealer and im confident they will fix them. Just wish MC would communicate better with the dealers.
Would be nice to have a clock on the dash?
As far as the platform goes I odered fiberglass with the boat, it came with teak. My dealer said there are recall issues with the platform so check with your dealer on a replacement or fix.
Here is one photo on the water.:D
Overall I love it!!

Why do you assume MC isn't in contact with the dealer? Do you have any idea how much setup a boat needs before delivery, or do you think they show up, needing nothing?

Re: the clock- look around. Doesn't one of the gauges have one? If not, it's probably because most people who respond to the surveys said they don't need/want one.

Re: the platform- look at your sales contract/order. If it has a mistake, it's the dealer's fault for checking the wrong box. If you signed it, you didn't catch this detail.

Before saying MC doesn't contact their dealers, you might want to state why you think this.

JimN
07-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Just an opion-

Just say n

Here's something for the cheap seats- THE DEALER IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE SURE THE BOAT IS RIGHT BEFORE DELIVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cars and trucks have economy of scale going for them. Have you ever heard that mass production decreases manufacturing costs? These aren't mass-produced. They also use materials that aren't used in cars and trucks, except in rare instances. Car bodies are usually stamped metal. Aside from the cost of the press and dies, the actual cost to produce each hood, fender, door skin, etc is very low and a lot of the parts in a boat are hand-made or made in smaller quantities that don't allow for cutting the cost to the bare minimum. Cars and trucks show up needing only special order, non-factory accessory installation and cleanup/dealer checklist.

Scott
07-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Almost forgot.. The forward bilge pump is
Located where before the auto bilge turns on, it
Allows, way more water than used to, to stay
In the boat.. Auto bilge does work, I just think
It's in the wrong location.. Just my observation..

BlakeEatmon
07-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I have spoken with my dealer and he is on it. My issue was really with MC for not doing enough r&d to realize these issues before the boats were shipped out. I know that there will always be bugs with new models but some of this stuff should be obvious. Darn glove box popping open is the most aggravating thing. I took all my buddies for a first ride on the boat and the glove box kept popping open. Very Embarrassing!

Clock - Yes that would be nice, Ive yet to find one. Please chime in for those who know differently

Shocks or a latch would be very nice on the cooler/trash can seat. Takes two people to get a beer out of the cooler. One to hold the seat up and another to open the cooler to get the beer out...:D

FYI - None of the issues mentioned in my initial post were apparent when I picked up my boat from the dealer and did a visual inspection. The only thing that came immediately apparent when I got it wet at my home lake was the glove box issue and the PP. The belt whine and the platform issue just showed up this past weekend....

BlakeEatmon
07-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Thought I'd add some pics of our boat and the surf wake (driver only with added ballast)

JTNG
07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Why do you assume MC isn't in contact with the dealer? Do you have any idea how much setup a boat needs before delivery, or do you think they show up, needing nothing?

Re: the clock- look around. Doesn't one of the gauges have one? If not, it's probably because most people who respond to the surveys said they don't need/want one.

Re: the platform- look at your sales contract/order. If it has a mistake, it's the dealer's fault for checking the wrong box. If you signed it, you didn't catch this detail.

Before saying MC doesn't contact their dealers, you might want to state why you think this.

Lets See?? :confused:My 6th MC, (4 of them custom ordered) from the same dealer in 12 years and this one is the only one that i have had any problems upon delivery??? When the boat leaves MC shouldnt it be tested before it gets on the truck?? Yes, the dealer does take some responsibilty but why should MC put things on the dealer when it could be solved at the factory? Platform was ordered Fiberglass. Dealer said MC was fixing some issues with it but couldnt tell my dealer when it would be out? Is it just a coincidence that most owners of the 2012 X30 are having the same problem? :confused: I am Loyal to the MC brand! I Believe in my Dealer and LOVE my new Boat!

vision
07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Clock - Yes that would be nice, Ive yet to find one. Please chime in for those who know differently

On my 08, I finally realized the clock was part of the Clarion Remote next to the driver. One of the settings for the Clarion made the time the default display when you were not actively changing stereo parameters. Not sure if that is the case for a 2012 though.

I actually mounted a simple Radio Shack battery operated clock to my dash for easier viewing than the stereo remote. Not very high tech I know, but the darn clock has run perfectly for 4 years now without even changing the battery.

JimN
07-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Lets See?? :confused:My 6th MC, (4 of them custom ordered) from the same dealer in 12 years and this one is the only one that i have had any problems upon delivery??? When the boat leaves MC shouldnt it be tested before it gets on the truck?? Yes, the dealer does take some responsibilty but why should MC put things on the dealer when it could be solved at the factory? Platform was ordered Fiberglass. Dealer said MC was fixing some issues with it but couldnt tell my dealer when it would be out? Is it just a coincidence that most owners of the 2012 X30 are having the same problem? :confused: I am Loyal to the MC brand! I Believe in my Dealer and LOVE my new Boat!

Has the dealer replaced a lot of people, specifically the one(s) who do the order placing?

MC test runs every boat, or they did when I was working on them. Sure, we got some in with issues, but I can't remember anything that was really major.

However, the manufacturers don't know the third-party accessories as well as a dealer should. They specialize in designing and building the boats, but honestly, the building isn't done by college grads and that's not necessary. The dealers agree that the boats will arrive and they're required to do the final setup, add accessories that aren't supplied by MC or their jobbers and the boat should be ready for the end user at demo time. It's not that MC has 'put things on the dealer', MC is busy making 3000+ boats and there's a lot more technology on these than ever before- that makes them harder to setup, diagnose and repair than ever, too. It's not rocket surgery, but these are becoming more an issue of hiring people who know electronics than being a "boat mechanic".

Re: the platform- it's possible that MC doesn't know when the problem will be solved. Obviously, it would be best for MC to tell the dealer this, but it's also possible that too many people are involved and someone is thinking another person is handling some of these details.

How have you inquired about this? Did you contact MC, or just the dealer?

Specter
07-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Thought I'd add some pics of our boat and the surf wake (driver only with added ballast)

Great looking color scheme. How much extra ballast do you have? That surf wake looks massive! Also, what are your speed settings?

Specter
07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Almost forgot.. The forward bilge pump is
Located where before the auto bilge turns on, it
Allows, way more water than used to, to stay
In the boat.. Auto bilge does work, I just think
It's in the wrong location.. Just my observation..

I was just thinking the same thing. A week ago my friend was driving, turned into the surf wake after I fell and the boat took on a ton of water. Once we got back to the lift the fwd pump was running with no result but I found tons of water in the boat when I opened up the forward plug hatch. Needless to say, I pulled the plug, drained it and the bilge cut off. I've had to pull the plug twice to cut the fwd bilge off so the battery wouldn't run itself down.

Mastercraftdave
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM

We have the 6.2L in our X45. When we took delivery of the boat the engine ran perfect. Then we took the boat to our river house where the boat is kept and after one ride the engine started getting hot. Come to find out the water impellor was shredded to pieces after 3hr. To get to the water impellor you have to take the belt off along with the pulley to even get to the impellor. Ever since we have done this the engine has squeaked. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the belt and it still squeaks at low rpms. Has anyone else had luck recently? I got the belt replaced in May. Have they made changes since?

Scott
07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
We have the 6.2L in our X45. When we took delivery of the boat the engine ran perfect. Then we took the boat to our river house where the boat is kept and after one ride the engine started getting hot. Come to find out the water impellor was shredded to pieces after 3hr. To get to the water impellor you have to take the belt off along with the pulley to even get to the impellor. Ever since we have done this the engine has squeaked. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the belt and it still squeaks at low rpms. Has anyone else had luck recently? I got the belt replaced in May. Have they made changes since?

I have the same engine. knock on wood, I hvnt had this problem, yet.. Did alarm go off or did you just notice the temp, getting higher?

Heelgrad
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Dave, I believe that Ilmor changed belt suppliers recently because of the squeaking issue. My serp belt was changed by my dealer a couple weeks ago and the squeaking is 100% gone. You may want to inquire about that. I haven't had any water impeller issues though so don't know if that has anything to do with your current squeaking.