PDA

View Full Version : katrina

sizzler
08-26-2005, 08:11 AM
hope all you floridians are safe and well....news says the worst is yet to come........baton down those hatches..........good luck

bradamerry
08-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Good luck all, stay safe..

bradamerry
08-26-2005, 08:21 AM

shepherd
08-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Hmmmmmm, my house is right in the middle of that track..... again :(

T Scott
08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
We are pretty safe here in Central Florida as this storm should just skirt us. Keep your fingers crossed for the guys in the panhandle, they are the ones that will get the worst of this one.

MarkP
08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
It looked like S Florida was wet and windy yesterday. Hope its not much worse in the panhandle. Good luck, stay safe!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Aiming right for the MC plant! Hold on to your HULLS TMC!!

shepherd
08-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Uh oh, watch out New Orleans! :o
Here's a trick a guy at work told me: tape all your ground floor doors with duct tape and then caulk them with a waterproof sealant. Should hold back the flood waters for a while -- until they recede. Wish I knew this before Hurricane Dennis, but I heard it works pretty well. I was told the leakage was slow enough that it could be mopped up as fast as it came into the house.

Good luck and stay dry!!!

betsy&david Harrison
08-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Those of you in the storms tract...prayers are with you. I think I'll stick to an occaisional shaking from the earth over a category 5 hurricane. B

bigmac
08-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Those of you in the storms tract...prayers are with you. I think I'll stick to an occaisional shaking from the earth over a category 5 hurricane. B

Heh. I'll take occasional 30-below temps in the winter over either.... ;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Heh. I'll take occasional 30-below temps in the winter over either.... ;)

Word up to that!! :toast: :twocents: Winters may be a pain up here, but they are WAY more managable than extreme weather.

Leroy
08-28-2005, 11:19 AM
This one looks bad, cat 5, 160MPH winds, 25 ft surge expected.

As low as New Orleans is even worse. Prayers are with you if you are in the path.

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Hope you guys are doing alright down there! Everybody stay safe and remember to put the auto bilge on and plug in!

milkmania
08-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Do we have any members in Nawlins? Looks like the bigun!

New Orleans Mayor Orders Mandatory Evacuation

In a news conference, Nagin said he expected the city's levee system to fail, and also expected power to go down.

http://www.thehometownchannel.com/news/4887230/detail.html

Can you imagine the impact if the levee systems does fail:(

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 01:01 PM
It is not looking good! I hope everyone gets out of there :o

milkmania
08-28-2005, 01:10 PM
I watched a documentary on New Orleans' levee system....
it's the only thing keeping those people alive!

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
And they say it will likely fail in the storm :eek:

I haven't seen any members that have posted their loc as New Orleans. But we do have alot of members.

milkmania
08-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Katrina looks like an unhappy lady

http://www.writeonrice.com/katrina.jpg

shepherd
08-28-2005, 01:33 PM

Well, at least we can see it coming ;)

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 02:11 PM

Seeing that strom coming is like torture!!! :eek: Look out boys and girls you are in for a wild ride :worthy:

MasterMason
08-28-2005, 02:18 PM

yes but when our houses fall down, at least we know where they are.....

But regardless, be safe

BriEOD
08-28-2005, 02:39 PM
I hope everyone makes it OK. Brad, Tim and the rest of you Bayou Boys hold fast. It's going to smack N'awlins but you guys in LA, MS, and TN are going to feel this sucker, no doubt abou it.

milkmania
08-28-2005, 02:48 PM
I hope everyone makes it OK. Brad, Tim and the rest of you Bayou Boys hold fast. It's going to smack N'awlins but you guys in LA, MS, and TN are going to feel this sucker, no doubt abou it.

it may be bigger than that even:(

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT12/refresh/AL1205W5+GIF/1A.gif

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 03:31 PM
:eek: WOW

That is quite the storm brewing down there, and it just keeps getting stronger..... :worthy:

shepherd
08-28-2005, 03:33 PM
LA, MS, AL -- board up and get out :(
This looks much worse than what we had from Dennis and Ivan.
Good luck you guys.

Here's some photos from this morning at Panama City Beach. I wimped out, stayed on shore with my camera. Waves look to be in the 10-12'+ range with some real monsters rolling in. And the storm was probably 500 miles away!

shepherd
08-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Another one. Almost double overhead???

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 03:34 PM
LA, MS, AL -- board up and get out :(
This looks much worse than what we had from Dennis and Ivan.
Good luck you guys.

Here's some photos from this morning at Panama City Beach. I wimped out, stayed on shore with my camera. Waves look to be in the 10-12'+ range with some real monsters rolling in. And the storm was probably 500 miles away!

How bad is it supposed to get for you in Panama City???

pilot02
08-28-2005, 03:35 PM
This is definitely looking serious and I definitely don't wish this on anyone. My mom and sister live on the North shore of the lake (Lacombe, LA). Mom left yesterday and drove to Tuscaloosa, AL, where she stayed last night and then to Atlanta (my place) today. Sister and her 2 kids (husbands overseas in Japan on a job) are currently navigating US 190 towards Houston to her father-in-laws. Personally, I have lots of friends there and have only talked to a couple (phone lines are very hard to get through). Several are involved with the the Red Cross and other local agencies so are staying and planning to "weather it out," one of which lives within .5 miles of my mom's house and 1.5 of my sisters. At this point, even if it doesn't hit like they are projecting, we are expecting (at the least) major damage and possibly total loss on both residences. And even with that, we are probably more fortunate than others there because there are a lot of people who have made their living there who likely aren't insured.

On a bright side, I'm hoping to pick my son up from my ex's house in a few minutes and take mom and some friends to the lake so she can see (for the first time) how much her grandson is like his daddy :)

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 03:37 PM
This is definitely looking serious and I definitely don't wish this on anyone. My mom and sister live on the North shore of the lake (Lacombe, LA). Mom left yesterday and drove to Tuscaloosa, AL, where she stayed last night and then to Atlanta (my place) today. Sister and her 2 kids (husbands overseas in Japan on a job) are currently navigating US 190 towards Houston to her father-in-laws. Personally, I have lots of friends there and have only talked to a couple (phone lines are very hard to get through). Several are involved with the the Red Cross and other local agencies so are staying and planning to "weather it out," one of which lives within .5 miles of my mom's house and 1.5 of my sisters. At this point, even if it doesn't hit like they are projecting, we are expecting (at the least) major damage and possibly total loss on both residences. And even with that, we are probably more fortunate than others there because there are a lot of people who have made their living there who likely aren't insured.

On a bright side, I'm hoping to pick my son up from my ex's house in a few minutes and take mom and some friends to the lake so she can see (for the first time) how much her grandson is like his daddy :)

Have fun on the lake, glad to hear that your family got out ok.

shepherd
08-28-2005, 03:53 PM
How bad is it supposed to get for you in Panama City???

Not bad, thank God. We're only expecting 40-50 mph winds and an inch or two of rain. Wish I could say the same for the folks to our west. If you saw my previous posts from Hurricane Dennis, we got a little over a foot of water into the ground level of our house. That was bad enough, but if Katrina stays as strong as she is, Louisiana and Mississippi are in for a REAL beating.

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 05:36 PM
The storm track is unbelievable:

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Just keeps going ang going:

MasterCrafting
08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
if anyone needs a safe place for their boat... :rolleyes:

east tx skier
08-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Hang in there you guys. If you find yourself in Texas, look me up.

BriEOD
08-28-2005, 09:05 PM
It just dawned on me that BrianM lives in Mandeville, LA. That is REALLY close to New Orleans. It's on the north side of Lake P. Brian I hope you're evacuated and you and your family will be in my prayers. God speed friend.

Smitty
08-28-2005, 11:30 PM
I would ask that everyone say a prayer for our brothers and sisters in skiing and boating at Elan Boats. I know that Elans headquarters are just a short drive north of New Orleans (30 minutes). I know that is not always popular to talk about the competition, but my cousin and his family still live in the Kentwood/Hammond area that will be greatly affected by this storm. I pray that all will make it through safely.

Godspeed,

shepherd
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Amen amen. :(

east tx skier
08-28-2005, 11:45 PM
All the best to BrianM and our friends at Elan/American Skier, among others.

6ballsisall
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Watching the weather channel now. God speed to BrianM and all the other locals. Get to high ground

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Just spoke to a friend of ours with family in New Orleans. Her mom and two siblings headed for Texas, but her dad refused to leave. I simply do not understand that logic, but keep him in your thoughts.

BrianM
08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all of the well wishes. I live in Mandeville which is just on the other side of the lake from New Orleans. As it looks right now the hurricane is probably headed straight over my house.

My wife and I left yesterdayy before traffic got bad and are safe in Houston. Almost everyone I know left as well. Hopefully we have something to come back to.

Crossing my fingers..................Brian

MrsJMT
08-29-2005, 12:41 AM
My wife and I left yesterdayy before traffic got bad and are safe in Houston.
Glad to hear you're safe!

PendO
08-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Brian ...Glad to hear you and your wife have left ... our prayers go out to all in the region ... East TX, can't believe that her dad stayed, hope it all works out ... Godspeed to those trying to evacuate and goodluck to those who stayed behind.

stevo137
08-29-2005, 12:45 AM
We are with you in thought and prayer during this difficult time.
Godspeed...

erkoehler
08-29-2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all of the well wishes. I live in Mandeville which is just on the other side of the lake from New Orleans. As it looks right now the hurricane is probably headed straight over my house.

My wife and I left yesterdayy before traffic got bad and are safe in Houston. Almost everyone I know left as well. Hopefully we have something to come back to.

Glad to hear that you got out ok! If need anything, just let us know.

jimmer2880
08-29-2005, 07:02 AM
Just spoke to a friend of ours with family in New Orleans. Her mom and two siblings headed for Texas, but her dad refused to leave. I simply do not understand that logic, but keep him in your thoughts.

To slightly threadjack this.... My ski place is a 500 member club on the Potomac River within flood stage. Many of us have regular mobile homes (trailer trash style).

I knew a man (they called him old man river) who grew up there & was about as old as they get. During one flood about 10 years ago, he kep saying "I'm staying put. If the good Lord wants to take me, he will". It ended up being a "100 year flood" - the kind we get every 10 years. Anyway - as the cold Arse river was 1/2 way inside his trailer he finally decided that all that macho "I lived my life on the river, I'm going to die on the river" stuff was for the birds & got the heck out.

Pls remind your friends dad that while it's fun to be macho & say "yea - I weathered that storm".... It's not macho if you're dead & as that tree is falling onto him - he's going to wish he was somewhere else.

BriEOD
08-29-2005, 07:50 AM

Glad you got out B. I heard them talking about Mandeville and thought I know someone there. What did you do witht the boat?

LakePirate
08-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Know it's a little late but I hope that everyone got out or found some cover before Katrina arrives/arrived.

Dan K
08-29-2005, 09:20 AM
BrianM, We hope the surge is not as bad as they say. Our thought and prayer go out to you and your family.

shepherd
08-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Sorry, I know this is a waterski site, but hopefully some of you are as impressed with big surf as I am. Especially when you see it like this on the Gulf Coast.

Yesterday at Panama City Beach, compliments of Mr. Surf's web site. I can only imagine what's going on to our west. Hang on tight you guys!

André
08-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Looks like my neighbor's I/O wake...
Hope everyone is safe.

MarkP
08-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Sorry, I know this is a waterski site, but hopefully some of you are as impressed with big surf as I am. Especially when you see it like this on the Gulf Coast.

Yesterday at Panama City Beach, compliments of Mr. Surf's web site. I can only imagine what's going on to our west. Hang on tight you guys!
That is a cool shot. Sure not typical for that area I’ll bet..

BriEOD
08-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Usually the Gulf looks like a lake. Those shots remind me of Hawaii.

BrianM
08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
What did you do witht the boat?

I actually skied Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day and at that time I didn't think that I was going to have to leave. My boat stays at the lake in a garage with a metal roof. The boat is in the garage as normal, uncovered, engine cover up, plug out. It wasn't until I got home from the lake at about noon that I turned on the news and the forcast was extremely ugly for us so we made the decision to leave. As long as the roof holds I think it will be fine. If not it is insured.:o

Ric
08-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Brian
Do you have family in Houston?

Do you have contact this morning with anyone that decided to stay?

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Pls remind your friends dad that while it's fun to be macho & say "yea - I weathered that storm".... It's not macho if you're dead & as that tree is falling onto him - he's going to wish he was somewhere else.

Only met him a few times. I don't have a clue what he's thinking. Neither does his family. It's one thing for the thousands of people in New Orleans who couldn't afford to leave or didn't have a means of transportation. But that wasn't the case with this guy. If I knew him, I'd have called him by now and attempted to slap some sense into him over the phone. He belongs with his family IMO.

NeilM
08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Good Luck to all in Katrina's path. Stay safe.

erkoehler
08-29-2005, 01:06 PM
I actually skied Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day and at that time I didn't think that I was going to have to leave. My boat stays at the lake in a garage with a metal roof. The boat is in the garage as normal, uncovered, engine cover up, plug out. It wasn't until I got home from the lake at about noon that I turned on the news and the forcast was extremely ugly for us so we made the decision to leave. As long as the roof holds I think it will be fine. If not it is insured.:o

Glad to hear you got in one last set on your home lake :D Hope everything is safe, and the boat should float the trailer right? Insurance, gotta love it!

RickDV
08-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear you got in one last set on your home lake :D Hope everything is safe, and the boat should float the trailer right? Insurance, gotta love it!

I have heard, but don't know for myself, that insurance companies jack the deductibles about 3X when damage is due to a named storm. Does anyone have any experience with this? :mad:

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 01:17 PM
I believe that was in either my old policy or my current policy with regard to my boat. If it's not in the policy that there is an increased deductable for a named storm, I don't see how they can do it. If it is, then that's the nature of the contract.

captkidd
08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I believe that was in either my old policy or my current policy with regard to my boat. If it's not in the policy that there is an increased deductable for a named storm, I don't see how they can do it. If it is, then that's the nature of the contract.
Was that pun intended?

captkidd
08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Definitely praying for all those in the path of the storm. Looks like it's going to be a bad one. With Nawlins being below sea level, I don't see how the expected flood waters will drain for a long time.

BrianM
08-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Well from the info that is out on the news now it looks like New Orleans made it through pretty well. Fortunately this one wasn't the BIG one. The pictures and video that is coming out from downtown looks like mostly localized street flooding although fairly deep. Some flood prone areas of town are flooded again as usual. Once it stops raining the pumps will get most of that out pretty quick. The pumps in NOLA can keep up with 2" of rain per hour. If its not raining the streets pump dry real fast.

Also looks like the area by my house is probably in descent shape. As long as I didn't get a tree down on top of my house it should be OK. The Weather Channel had a guy reporting from Covington from a location that is just 2 or 3 miles from my house. In what he said was peak winds in his location they were only about 80mph.

I am worried about where I keep my boat. It looks like the eye passed right over it so I am crossing my fingers. One of my ski partners rode it out at his house not far from the lake and initial reports seem to be that that area has heavy damage. I hope all is well with him.

As for the insurance I know that my homeowners policy has a 2% deductable with a named storm instead of the flat $1000. Flood policy is a flat $500. Boat insurance has no such increase or rider. I may be upgrading boats sooner than expected.:mad:

I think I am going to buy a generator and a chain saw before I leave Houston. Could be a while with no power. I will probably find out tomorrow night or Wednesday.

jsonova99
08-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Well from the info that is out on the news now it looks like New Orleans made it through pretty well. Fortunately this one wasn't the BIG one. The pictures and video that is coming out from downtown looks like mostly localized street flooding although fairly deep. Some flood prone areas of town are flooded again as usual. Once it stops raining the pumps will get most of that out pretty quick. The pumps in NOLA can keep up with 2" of rain per hour. If its not raining the streets pump dry real fast.

Also looks like the area by my house is probably in descent shape. As long as I didn't get a tree down on top of my house it should be OK. The Weather Channel had a guy reporting from Covington from a location that is just 2 or 3 miles from my house. In what he said was peak winds in his location they were only about 80mph.

I am worried about where I keep my boat. It looks like the eye passed right over it so I am crossing my fingers. One of my ski partners rode it out at his house not far from the lake and initial reports seem to be that that area has heavy damage. I hope all is well with him.

As for the insurance I know that my homeowners policy has a 2% deductable with a named storm instead of the flat $1000. Flood policy is a flat $500. Boat insurance has no such increase or rider. I may be upgrading boats sooner than expected.:mad:

I think I am going to buy a generator and a chain saw before I leave Houston. Could be a while with no power. I will probably find out tomorrow night or Wednesday.

Keep your receipts for the chainsaw and generator, you may be eligble for reimbursement from FEMA. I missed out on this when we got hit with Frances and Jeanne last year, but I had neighbors that got remibursed.

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Buy from a Home Depot or Lowe's type store that is in both the area where you are now and by your house, then if you don't need it just return it.

I am sure those supplies will be at a premium!

shepherd
08-30-2005, 09:30 AM
BrianM, If you're going home from Houston soon, get a generator, a chainsaw, as much gasoline as you can carry, and as much ice and water as you can carry. Speaking from experience after our trials in Orlando last year. These items will be hard to find.

The main thing I remember was the heat, no power, no A/C and I wished I had a generator. We had to keep our windows open at night and we couldn't sleep listening to all our neighbors' generators running all night. :mad: I got one now...

If you don't need the generator and leave it in the box, you can return it to the store. Call FEMA (look for their web site for 800 number). I bought a generator before Hurricane Dennis, decided to keep it, and FEMA sent me a check for $735 as reimbursement! They may also pay for things your insurance doesn't cover. They're real easy to deal with.

Good luck

BriEOD
08-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Good luck B!!

stevo137
08-30-2005, 09:53 AM
It's devastating.
It's tough to watch the news...

milkmania
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
we were reimbursed for the generator we bought during the Ice Storm of 2000/2001.
5000watt Coleman with an 8 hour fuel tank

I use the generator a lot still, and I'm glad I've got it.
loaded it into a trailer, with a cement mixer, sawzall, hammer drill, and flood lights.... pull it around the yard with the 4-wheeler. That's how I've built all of this chain link fence.

We've had to use the generator for various other power outages.

SteveO
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Wow, the news from the gulf coast keeps getting worse. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone touched by this tragedy.

pilot02
08-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Things don't look good in LA. Our plans are to purchase a generator today and rent a uhaul pending notification from a friend in my mom's neighborhood that there's anything worth salvaging. Here's some links for those of you who might want more local info that you aren't seeing on the news as well as ways to contact people there if need be.

http://www.satern.org/
http://www.wwltv.com
http://www.wwltv.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2730
http://www.wwltv.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

Griff

east tx skier
08-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Was that pun intended?

It's still early for me. Pun?

Hang in there to our gulf coast TMC folks, their families, their friends, and everyone else.

pilot02
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Closer to home for BrianM and myself.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/083005/new_surge001.shtml

rem_p
08-30-2005, 01:04 PM
I just talked to a girl i know in Tuscaloosa...she said trees are down everywhere, on house's cars streets and everywhere...said they lost power yesterday afternoon and will probably be out till thursday or friday....it got real windy here in auburn but from what little i've seen nothing like what the coast recieved or what the people got who were in katrina's path as she worked her way inland.

bradamerry
08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
If you guys need anything when you return home, call....318-470-8079

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 01:42 PM
The water just keeps going UP!!! :(

BrianM
08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes.

It is looking now like it is getting much much worse for the city. By no means have we seen the worst of it. The flooding looks like it is getting worse by the hour until the hole in the levee is sandbagged or the water level evens out at the hieght of the lake.

Still think that my area is much better off than the south shore of the lake although the east side of my parish my have been hit the hardest with wind damage and initial surge.

bradamerry
08-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes.

It is looking now like it is getting much much worse for the city. By no means have we seen the worst of it. The flooding looks like it is getting worse by the hour until the hole in the levee is sandbagged or the water level evens out at the hieght of the lake.

Still think that my area is much better off than the south shore of the lake although the east side of my parish my have been hit the hardest with wind damage and initial surge.
Good luck Brian, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. If things get to bad, we have an extra room for you guys... Be well.

Not much to offer, but we have the camper, if you don't have a place to sleep when you return. :(

bradamerry
08-30-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/

milkmania
08-30-2005, 03:16 PM
let us know if you need the MC's down there

http://www.writeonrice.com/bayliner.jpg

JEREMY79
08-30-2005, 03:44 PM
I got to fly over Katrina Sunday. Pretty wild looking. My thoughts are with the southern guys.

bradamerry
08-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Looks like Slidell got hit pretty hard. BrianM our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family, as well as everybody effected by this storm. Be well and safe....

PendO
08-31-2005, 03:13 AM
terrible ....

PendO
08-31-2005, 03:14 AM
more of the same

PendO
08-31-2005, 03:17 AM
Living in the northwest I just cannot imaging what it is like being there, having family there, having property there ... I have never paid as much attention to a hurricane as this ... does it get worse than this ... can a city like NO (below sea level) really be rebuilt? It us just surreal ...East TX, did your friends dad make it okay?

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/08/31/211458.html

east tx skier
08-31-2005, 11:26 AM
They can't get in touch with him (as of yesterday). But I imagine phones/cell service leave a lot to be desired in the area. Last I heard, he'd gone to Jackson MS. Not sure how Jackson faired. My father in law and his wife are currently housing some Katrina refugees in his wife's lakehouse that was, until this summer, rented out as a bed and breakfast. They have told them to stay as long as they like.

I called Bennett's this morning to see how they'd weathered the storm and to see if we could send them anything from Texas. They said they lost a few trees and had no power to the proshop, but other than that, had been very, very lucky.

Called Rambo, but got a busy signal. Anyone near Rambo in Alabama know if they had any damage?

In modern times, I cannot imagine it being much worse than this. The one that always came to mind before this was Galveston (turn of the century---1901 I think). Nobody really knew to leave as tracking storms was in its infancy. So loss of life was really high.

Ric
08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
What is the latest on the levee repair?
I understand that the old astrodome will be used to house the displaced as soon as they can get them out of LA

east tx skier
08-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Last I heard, what they were dropping in there was sinking into the abyss and they were going to start driving some massive re-bar in there before trying to sandbag it again. ICB misinformed.

Good deal on the astrodome. There was so much talk of making it a hotel complex when the astros moved.

/misses the old Astrodome scoreboard.

Ric
08-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Someone in a tv interview mentioned talk of using a barge to block it off?
supposedly someone shot up a police station with some full auto weapons last night? Don't know any more details bout that either.

bcampbe7
08-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Called Rambo, but got a busy signal. Anyone near Rambo in Alabama know if they had any damage?

I live just North of Rambo.
Talked to Lex in parts and they are fine. A few limbs down in the area, but nothing serious.

I pray for those that have been affected by this natural disaster.

Mag_Red
08-31-2005, 12:12 PM
:( My heart really goes out to those affected. On the other hand, the picures of all the looters just pisses me off to no end! :mad:

Wes
08-31-2005, 12:20 PM
My wife and I were one of the lucky ones, we escaped the hurricane by renting a car and driving to Houston early Sunday morning. Hard to imagine that shortly after we arrived in Houston, the city we left was devastated... Our thoughts are with the people trying to survive.

pilot02
08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
:( My heart really goes out to those affected. On the other hand, the picures of all the looters just pisses me off to no end! :mad:

AMEN!
I just saw that a new Walmart was looted and all of the guns, shells etc. were taken
I'm on the phone with Allstate at the moment trying to start the claims process for my mom. Have already contacted the flood insurance people. Also looking at filing a claim with FEMA. Anyone here have any experience in that dept. Allstate's not going to cover anything unless it is specifically wind/fire damaged not flooded. They will cover contents that are looted though. Fun times ahead......

rodltg2
08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
the coverage i have seen has been minimal but i have seen people on the news using boats to rescue people. anyone know if thse are personal boats and if so anyone on here been using there mc? what i have seen so far is unbelivable and i hope you guys that are living it get through it okay.

maristarman
08-31-2005, 01:15 PM
From what I saw on the news, they're mostly personal boats. They've requested that anyone within a few hundred miles who has a flat bottom boat to come and help with the rescue effort.

It's truely tragic.

east tx skier
08-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Pilot, earlier in this thread, I believe someone mentioned experience working with FEMA. Might be worth a PM to that person. I don't remember off hand who it was though. Is the flood ins. through Allstate as well? Let us know if there's anything you all need that you're having trouble finding down there.

Mag_Red
08-31-2005, 01:29 PM
the coverage i have seen has been minimal but i have seen people on the news using boats to rescue people. anyone know if thse are personal boats and if so anyone on here been using there mc? what i have seen so far is unbelivable and i hope you guys that are living it get through it okay. I was watching the national coverage this morning, The Early Show, and actually saw the back end of a Mastercraft on TV.

PendO
08-31-2005, 01:44 PM
live streaming TV from a local N.O. affiliiate.

http://www.wwltv.com/

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_khou&props=livenoad

PendO
08-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Houstons, and Texans in general should be very proud!

Katrina refugees will go to Astrodome

12:01 PM EDT on Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Associated Press

HOUSTON – At least 25,000 of Hurricane Katrina's refugees, a majority of them at the New Orleans Superdome, will travel in a bus convoy to Houston starting Wednesday and will be sheltered at the 40-year-old Astrodome, which hasn't been used for professional sporting events in years.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency will provide 475 buses for the transfer, and the Astrodome's schedule has been cleared through December for housing evacuees, said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

Rusty Cornelius, administrative coordinator for the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, told The Associated Press that initial plans were being made early Wednesday.

"We are planning on being able to do a full shelter operation for 25,000 people," he said.

Cornelius said the refugees would be bused to Houston, but all would not necessarily be on the road at the same time. He said specifics of the transport and housing for the refugees were still being worked out with Red Cross and state government officials.

"We want to accommodate those people as quickly as possible for the simple reason they have been through a horrible ordeal," he said.

Perry talked to Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco early Wednesday and agreed to the plan, Walt said.

Texas also is looking at the possibility of using the Ford Center in Beaumont for some long-term housing for other evacuees from Louisiana who may be staying in hotels, motels and campgrounds.

"Obviously from Governor Perry's standpoint, Texas is going to lend a helping hand and take care of those who have been devastated," Walt said.

Blanco said she wanted the Superdome – which had become a shelter of last resort for about 20,000 people – evacuated within two days, along with other gathering points for storm refugees. The situation inside the dank and sweltering Superdome was becoming desperate: The water was rising, the air conditioning was out, toilets were broken, and tempers were rising.

The Astrodome helped put Houston on the map four decades ago. It still stands but is dwarfed by Reliant Stadium, the Houston Texans' newly constructed home.

The Astrodome opened in 1965, 10 years before the Superdome in New Orleans.

shepherd
08-31-2005, 02:20 PM
AMEN!
I just saw that a new Walmart was looted and all of the guns, shells etc. were taken
I'm on the phone with Allstate at the moment trying to start the claims process for my mom. Have already contacted the flood insurance people. Also looking at filing a claim with FEMA. Anyone here have any experience in that dept. Allstate's not going to cover anything unless it is specifically wind/fire damaged not flooded. They will cover contents that are looted though. Fun times ahead......

Pilot, I had some experience in that area after Dennis (my house got flooded). I highly recommend filing a claim with FEMA, even if you have regular home/flood insurance. The process is real easy and the people I dealt with very helpful and sympathetic. Just call them and apply on-line. Check out their web site for more info: http://www.fema.gov/about/process/

Not as much luck with insurance company. Only thing they could tell me is they'll get to my claim when they can and expect it to be about 30 to 60 days. I don't even know what they'll cover yet and they can't tell me. Another reason I went to FEMA is they may cover what the insurance doesn't. They already sent me a check for $735 to reimburse me for purchasing a generator before the storm even hit.

Good luck and I hope your mom's house isn't as bad as you fear... :(

bradamerry
08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Has anybody heard from BrianM???

Wes, do you live in New Orleans or just visiting??

RickDV
08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Has anybody heard from BrianM???

Wes, do you live in New Orleans or just visiting??

I am concerned about BrianM too. News reports are that Slidell was one of the hardest hit areas. I am glad he was able to evacuate before the storm, but it does not look good for his home.

Dan K
08-31-2005, 06:12 PM
BrianM
If you need anything let the team know, I am sure collectively we will help you anyway we can.

bradamerry
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I am concerned about BrianM too. News reports are that Slidell was one of the hardest hit areas. I am glad he was able to evacuate before the storm, but it does not look good for his home.
I'm on ready to take him my camper, if he needs it..

Wes
09-01-2005, 01:38 AM
We were just attending a paramedic conference.

Ric
09-01-2005, 01:53 AM
We were just attending a paramedic conference.
that's sad irony Glad you all got out prior to the devastation

Wes
09-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks Ric, we are very happy to be home...We stayed a day in your city and were impressed with it. It seems like a great place.

Wes

BriEOD
09-01-2005, 04:53 PM
BrianM
If you need anything let the team know, I am sure collectively we will help you anyway we can.
I second that B; don't be to proud to ask for help. We'd love to help you in anyway that we can.

RickDV
09-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Now it goes from bad to worse to sad to sick. I can't comprehend this.

CNN is reporting a sniper is shooting at patients being evacuated from a hospital.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.impact/index.html :(

6ballsisall
09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
My company is doing a dollar for dollar match on employee contributions to the Red Cross. Glad to see our company help out. I hope more companies do as well

6ballsisall
09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Now it goes from bad to worse to sad to sick. I can't comprehend this.

CNN is reporting a sniper is shooting at patients being evacuated from a hospital.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.impact/index.html :(

Thats just sick. I hope they get waxed!!! :mad:

AirJunky
09-01-2005, 05:03 PM
http://www.openyourhome.com/

PendO
09-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Found out today via the GU alumni office that a classmate of mine and his parents both lost their houses in New Orleans (Mandeville) ... but they are safe in Batton Rouge ... so a little bad news along with the good ... they are safe.

Casey

BrianM
09-02-2005, 02:28 AM
Hey guys just wanted to give you an update.

Went to my house in Mandeville yesterday and I am very lucky. I live in a pretty wooded subdivision and had three trees down at the house. Two of them hit the house and put some descent sized holes in the roof. Also had a few other small holes in the roof where 2" or so branches went through like a spear. Had some missing shingles as well. Have a little bit of water damage inside to carpet and sheet rock but not all that much (I needed new carpet anyway). My house did not have any flood damage. All of my back fence was smashed under downed trees and limbs.

So I need a new roof (it was 13 years old anyway), some new carpet (my wife and I were talking about replacing it last week), and a very little bit of sheetrock and paint work. Besides that I have to clean a lot of trees and debris from the yard and rebuild my fence. Since I work in New Orleans and won't be able to do much with that for probably 30 - 60 days I will have plenty of time.

I am going back to the house tomorrow with generater, chainsaw and enough roofing materials to make temporary repairs cut trees and clean up. Will probably stay til Sunday and then come back to Lafayette or Houston to resupply and gas.

My boat is kept in Slidell and I expected the worst. I am glad to report that the shed/garage it is kept in had no damage and the boat was tucked in just as I left it.:D

My moms house is probably a total loss. She lived about 10 blocks from where the levee broke. All reports are that all of her neighborhood has 10 -20 ft of water. Probably won't even get to see the house for 30 days or more. She is moving back to California at least for the forseeable future.

My inlaws may or may not be OK. They live in Metairie which is very hit and miss for flooding.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind thoughts and offers to help..................Brian

milkmania
09-02-2005, 03:15 AM
glad to hear that your part is somewhat livable, and saddened to hear about your mother and in-laws.....I hope they are safe

pilot02
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey guys just wanted to give you an update.

Went to my house in Mandeville yesterday and I am very lucky. I live in a pretty wooded subdivision and had three trees down at the house. Two of them hit the house and put some descent sized holes in the roof. Also had a few other small holes in the roof where 2" or so branches went through like a spear. Had some missing shingles as well. Have a little bit of water damage inside to carpet and sheet rock but not all that much (I needed new carpet anyway). My house did not have any flood damage. All of my back fence was smashed under downed trees and limbs.

So I need a new roof (it was 13 years old anyway), some new carpet (my wife and I were talking about replacing it last week), and a very little bit of sheetrock and paint work. Besides that I have to clean a lot of trees and debris from the yard and rebuild my fence. Since I work in New Orleans and won't be able to do much with that for probably 30 - 60 days I will have plenty of time.

I am going back to the house tomorrow with generater, chainsaw and enough roofing materials to make temporary repairs cut trees and clean up. Will probably stay til Sunday and then come back to Lafayette or Houston to resupply and gas.

My boat is kept in Slidell and I expected the worst. I am glad to report that the shed/garage it is kept in had no damage and the boat was tucked in just as I left it.:D

My moms house is probably a total loss. She lived about 10 blocks from where the levee broke. All reports are that all of her neighborhood has 10 -20 ft of water. Probably won't even get to see the house for 30 days or more. She is moving back to California at least for the forseeable future.

My inlaws may or may not be OK. They live in Metairie which is very hit and miss for flooding.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind thoughts and offers to help..................Brian

Brian, call me 770-617-8198, we're going to try to get in this evening or early in the morning to check damage, bring supplies etc.

shepherd
09-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Great news Brian! I remember spending 3 days straight cutting up fallen trees and branches at our house in Orlando last year -- fun stuff. Bring an extra chain or two for the saw, you may need it. Also, remember that an old ski rope is not strong enough to pull a tree stump from the ground (no matter how small it is or how much you loosened it first)! :cool:

bradamerry
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't a total loss. Be safe.

east tx skier
09-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Brian, I'm glad to hear things are alright considering the circumstances. Pilot, good luck. Let us know if we can do anything.

OhioProstar
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
BrianM,
I am very glad to hear you are alright!!!!

I don't know if anyone has seen this blog, but it is pretty interesting:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

PendO
09-02-2005, 02:00 PM
How in the hell does it take until Friday that finally they send a convoy of military/nat. guard vehicles in with supplies for those people who were left behind at the convention center / superdome?

AirJunky
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Good question. Sounds like no one at the city, state or federal level was prepared for this in the least. Why there are still 100k people still in that city after they thought for 3 friggin days they were going to be directly hit. They should have been getting people on buses & trains for over a week now. I heard the Navy hospital ships just left Norfolk, VA on Wednesday!

- Models predicted New Orleans disaster, experts say - (http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050902/ts_nm/weather_katrina_criticism_dc)

River Rat
09-02-2005, 03:08 PM
FYI

Free food and gas. This may be worth a trip back to Texas.

Do you know anyone in Texas as an evacuee from any of the three states Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama? If so, the Texas Department of Health and Human Services will give them 2 months of Food Stamps with no questions asked. All they need to show is a drivers license. This agency will also give you information and locations where they can receive FREE GAS. Also, if you are housing anyone from one of these states you can call FEMA at (800) 621-3362 file a claim and receive assistance for your help. This is valid information directly from TDHHS.

Below is a link to the site to find a location near you.

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/

pilot02
09-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Mom's house fared rather well, with trees down everywhere and 2 small ones on the house but didn't look like it was damaged. Well is not working though and looks like the line that goes from the pump to the house was broken by roots from a tree that's down.

Looked like most houses in the neighborhood fared rather well. Sister's still has about 3 inches of water in the living room and the french doors on the back were busted in. Boarded them up but couldn't do anything about the water. My plans were severely changed when even though I'd brought 40+ gallons of fuel with me I purchased gas in the area and got gas with water/sediment in it and had to have a stranger tow my truck to my sisters because it died and someone pulled up behind it while the generator and supplies that I'd brought with me were still in the back. Then had to find the tool to release the clips for the fuel lines on it to clear the tanks. No auto parts stores are open and only Home Depot, Walmart and Sam's, but found a neighbor that had it. Met BrianM while I was there with the intent of sending clothes for my sister and her kids back with him but was able to send everything she needed with the neighbor next to my mom's who was taking a u-haul to Houston as well. They couldn't get they're generator working and only had minimal food supplies so I grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for them sunday evening.

It was a long drive in and back. Travelling from Atlanta down I-59, I came accross a truck that had hit one of the trees that they'd cut at the edge of the road and it had flipped. No gas anywhere below Meridian MS and people literally waiting in lines onto the interstate for tank trucks to show up at the gas stations.

Drove back accross I-10 towards Mobile on Monday evening and traffic was extremely heavy and slow. Got diverted onto US 90 at Exit 57 (near biloxi) as the bridges were apparently damaged there. While on US 90 saw a 40-50ft yacht in the middle of the road with no water anywhere near it. Checked for gas in Mobile just to see if it was available and there was gas in the Theodore Dawes Road area. Trip up I-65 to Montgomery and I-85 back into Atlanta was uneventful.

pilot02
09-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Good question. Sounds like no one at the city, state or federal level was prepared for this in the least. Why there are still 100k people still in that city after they thought for 3 friggin days they were going to be directly hit. They should have been getting people on buses & trains for over a week now. I heard the Navy hospital ships just left Norfolk, VA on Wednesday!

- Models predicted New Orleans disaster, experts say - (http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050902/ts_nm/weather_katrina_criticism_dc)

Part of the problem was they couldn't get people out due to road conditions. Trains couldn't go due to the number of trees accross the rails and clearing roads was the priority. Currently there is no access to New Orleans from the East at all.