PDA

View Full Version : Maristar 240 SC Project Boat Selling Price?

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 12:29 AM
I have come across a 91 Maristar 240 cuddy for sale. It needs a lot of tlc as it has been sitting uncovered so the seats need reupholstered. The gelcoat is faded as well, and the motor and tranny are not in the boat (but he has them and is selling them with the boat). The boat has 240 original hours on it and the transmission but the motor is a carbureted 454 originally out of a Donzi that supposedly will run and has lots of chrome accents but it has been apart for a few years since he wanted to paint it. My question is what would be a good price to offer for this boat?

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Also forgot to mention that the cuddy portion is listed as in good condition with a porta potty sink and heating eye.

psychobilly
07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
I would say about a grand.... I wouldn't want to pay more than that....mines in great shape and I would be lucky to get 11 grand for it on todays market. So you have to look at everything you would have to put into it..... You would have to get it cheap... I got mine cheap, and it was in great shape, but I still ended up putting another three grand in it so far...

BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand.......

I have looked into getting the upholstery redone and you're looking at 3500 or more with everything in the 240SCs... You're gunna put a load of money into getting that motor and tranny back in, if it runs..... How's he trailer? There's another money pit.... Tires you're looking a minimum of 450......

Bouyhead
07-10-2012, 08:21 AM
I've taken a couple of ski boats back from the junk pile and they are always more time/work/money they you can estimate. If your looking to flip it and make a couple bucks forget it, it's not going to happen. If your looking to keep it for your own and the hull is solid you'll end up with a great boat. I agree with psychobilly, if the paperwork is legit and it has a good trailer I wouldn't go a penny past a $1000

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Ok thanks guys. I was personally thinking $1500 or so. The guy says that the tires can make the ride home if I come get it, but I would probably want to bring a few to the transaction with me just in case. The guy went on and on about how he had $15k in the boat and told me all about how mean the engine was, but I'm thinking if the motor has been apart for a while, then I am running the risk of this motor being trash. The bad thing for him is that its not my fault he put all this money into this boat, didn't take care of it like he should and lost his investment.

So all in all, if I can talk him down to $1000 (which will be a hard push I believe), we are looking at 3500 for a reupholster and roughly 500 for tires. So that's 4 grand already.

I am hoping I can cash in a few favors and get some help to put this motor back together and cross my fingers that it will run so how much do you all think it would cost to get it and the transmission back in the boat?

Also, I would like to get the gel coat looking good again, and I was told that I would have to sand it down past the fading and then clearcoat it really well. While I can hold off on that for a little while, how much should I expect that to cost even if I try to do as much of the work myself as I can?

mzimme
07-10-2012, 10:38 AM
depending how bad the gelcoat is, you may or may not have to sand it down. It could just need a good buff and wax. You'd be surprised with what could be saved without sanding.

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
That was going to be the first thing I did to the gel coat was a good washing followed by a buff and wax. I am hoping that will make it look much better than its current state. I'm kind of expecting the worst and hoping for the best though.

mzimme
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah, pick yourself up a buffer if you don't have one (harbor freight sells a decent one for cheap), and get a nice wool pad for it with some 3M compound and go to town. I hope you work out, and even if you do, expect to be sore for a few days... especially with a bigger boat like that! haha.

tideengineer
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
My Navy gelcoat was almost white when I was looking at buying the boat...my wife was demanding a new paint job...I did one heck of a wet sand and polish, buff, and wax and it looks brand new....but I used the faded gelcoat as leverage when buying...

Matt L.
07-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I have come across a 91 Maristar 240 cuddy for sale. It needs a lot of tlc as it has been sitting uncovered so the seats need reupholstered. The gelcoat is faded as well, and the motor and tranny are not in the boat (but he has them and is selling them with the boat). The boat has 240 original hours on it and the transmission but the motor is a carbureted 454 originally out of a Donzi that supposedly will run and has lots of chrome accents but it has been apart for a few years since he wanted to paint it. My question is what would be a good price to offer for this boat?

RK, I don't your skill level, but you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

An engine that is apart that you have never heard run, compression tested, checked over, and had an oil analysis run on it is worth the core value of the components present. AKA, its not worth much! the fact that it came out of a Donzi scares me a bit more, that just means it got the crap run out of it and there is a reason it isn't still in that Donzi, no of which I can think of are good.

As to the core value of the hull. That's a crap shoot. Rare, and highly obscure old MasterCraft hull needing a full interior, engine, and at a minimum the gel coat wet, polished/buffed out, and new decals (that don't exist anymore), new rub strip, teak restored...... How's the dash? Gauges work?

Was the plug in it uncovered? likely not, but you may want to explore that, look at the bunk areas for hull damage due to excessive weight from accumulated rain water.

When I bought mine I neglected to checkout the trailer. That was really stupid! Towed it from Texoma to Kansas City, Missouri with a 97 Tahoe, no trailer brakes, and crappy tires. Needless to say it was a long slow drive. My first $1500 went in to a disk brake conversion, surge coupler, winch, tongue jack, ect, ect....

I concur with the PsycoBilly on this as a fellow 240 owner. Not a dime more than $1K.

That said, us 240 owners typically love our boats. The SC is a super cool boat that style wise was way ahead of its time. Cleaned up they still look great and are awesome boats. Big before big was cool in the inboard direct drive world. Look at all of the wakeboard boats, they are huge. Clean it up, get it running, throw an interior in it, slap a tower on it, and you will have one heck of a boat!!! We love ours, have had it 10+ years and will only continue to upgrade it rather than replace it. a similar sized new MC would run over $100K.

Post some pics of this beast so we can get a better idea of what you are up against!

Good Luck,

Matt

Matt L.
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn236/lfootmatt/Illusion%20XS%20Tower/dadscam08-09155.jpg:D

PS hows all of the acrylic parts. Remember, there are no factory parts available for this boat. Things that are 240 specific are going to be exceedingly tough to find!

Later,

Matt

aquaman
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
i think i saw a picture of that boat in alabama ?

it is rough, but the engine and tranny sound like alot of work + $$.

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
RK, I don't your skill level, but you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

An engine that is apart that you have never heard run, compression tested, checked over, and had an oil analysis run on it is worth the core value of the components present. AKA, its not worth much! the fact that it came out of a Donzi scares me a bit more, that just means it got the crap run out of it and there is a reason it isn't still in that Donzi, no of which I can think of are good.

As to the core value of the hull. That's a crap shoot. Rare, and highly obscure old MasterCraft hull needing a full interior, engine, and at a minimum the gel coat wet, polished/buffed out, and new decals (that don't exist anymore), new rub strip, teak restored...... How's the dash? Gauges work?

Was the plug in it uncovered? likely not, but you may want to explore that, look at the bunk areas for hull damage due to excessive weight from accumulated rain water.

When I bought mine I neglected to checkout the trailer. That was really stupid! Towed it from Texoma to Kansas City, Missouri with a 97 Tahoe, no trailer brakes, and crappy tires. Needless to say it was a long slow drive. My first $1500 went in to a disk brake conversion, surge coupler, winch, tongue jack, ect, ect....

I concur with the PsycoBilly on this as a fellow 240 owner. Not a dime more than $1K.

That said, us 240 owners typically love our boats. The SC is a super cool boat that style wise was way ahead of its time. Cleaned up they still look great and are awesome boats. Big before big was cool in the inboard direct drive world. Look at all of the wakeboard boats, they are huge. Clean it up, get it running, throw an interior in it, slap a tower on it, and you will have one heck of a boat!!! We love ours, have had it 10+ years and will only continue to upgrade it rather than replace it. a similar sized new MC would run over $100K.

Post some pics of this beast so we can get a better idea of what you are up against!

Good Luck,

Matt

Thanks for the many good points that you have brought up. The seller is going to send me some more pics today at some point, and I will try to post them as I can. Basically the only reason I am even considering this is because it is a 240, and like you said they are awesome big boats, and I just think that it is too cool of a boat to sit and rot.

Most of the questions you pose such as the gauges and whether the plug was in it or not, I cannot answer at this time. The seller says that the boat is not unsafe, it just needs a new interior as far as the stitching on the seats being dry rotted. He says the cuddy is in great shape cuz he left the hatches closed the whole time its been sitting.

As far as the Donzi motor goes, he says he wound up with the motor as payment for pulling it out of the Donzi and installing a 496 or some bigger engine into it for the owner. He went on to say that he had had good luck out of the boat with this motor and that it would run 49 mph at I believe he said around 5000 rpm. He had a Holley carb on it for awhile, but he said he couldnt keep it tuned like he wanted and he was spending too much time fooling with it so he went to an Edelbrock (850 I think he said) and the boat performed like he wanted it to. He said that when the cover to the boat got ripped and he never replaced it, he decided that he didn't want the engine and tranny deteriorating in the boat so he pulled them and stored them under his carport. He was also going to paint the engine, so it is partially taken apart and taped up to be painted. He has worked on it a little but never finished so he just reapplies tape as he thinks it needs it. I really don't know what the engine looks like now (my guess is not too good) but the guy is supposed to send me pics today of it how it has been sitting, and I will post them when I can. I am with you though. I would like to hope i can get it put back together and it run great, but if I go decide to buy the boat, I will have to pay for it assuming that I will have to scrap the engine and find a new one. It could work out in my favor or I could be looking for another 454.

The tranny is another area I will need some knowledgeable opinions on. I have never dealt with trannys of any kind so I would be in uncharted territory here. Are they hard to put back into a boat? Is there a way to have it tested before I put it back into the boat, or will I have to just get it in there, put the boat in the water, and see what it does?

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
i think i saw a picture of that boat in alabama ?

it is rough, but the engine and tranny sound like alot of work + $$.

That's the one. It looked to me that the hull would look much better if I gave it a good bath and then waxed and buffed it, but I am waiting to see better pics.

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Also, Matt.

I am not too worried about graphics. I am not wanting to do a true-to-original restoration, so I wouldn't mind getting some more modern graphics to go on the boat and maybe having some good looking "Maristar 240 SC" graphics made for the stern-sides. I would also like to maybe slap a name on the transom when it was all said and done.

The trailer appears to be a galvanized trailer. He said the tires could make a 3 hour trip, but I really don't think I want to try as in one of the pics I saw a dirt stain on one of them that looked like it had been sitting flat for awhile, so I would probably take 4 wheels and tires with me. It would be great if the brakes work (if it has brakes) but for the ride home I think I could manage as I own a 2500 duramax and it seems like the truck brakes better hauling loads than it does unloaded. lol I would probably bring some light bulbs, wires, and a new wiring plug with me just to be prepared as well.

aquaman
07-10-2012, 12:20 PM
from what i saw in the pics i think you could find another MC 24 that was in better shape ?

you should assume the engine is salvage if you still want to buy the hull. just realize that is all you are getting.

kal_dude
07-10-2012, 12:35 PM
i had a 240 SC, before i bought my X Star....it was a very fun boat. if you are not afraid of a little bit of work, and not wanting to be on the water as soon as you get home with it, it could be a fun project.... but yes the price has to be right, or you would be better off buying one that needs no work. pay now, or pay later.
post pics. if/when you get it ;)
kal

psychobilly
07-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Make sure you have a look in that cuddy too. My hatch was leaking when I first got it because it's warped from the sun. Luckily my PO had kept her under cover and no damage to he cuddy interior. If that cuddy interior is trashed you could be well over 3500 on the interior.

There's a lot of iders here on sanding gel coat vs buffing. IMHO I think the buff procedure should be a guys first attempt. If that don't work them wet sand... But that's just me. ;-)

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Does anybody out there know of any threads on here about the transmissions of these boats? what it takes to install a tranny and engine back into the boat? I like to do things myself, but I want it to be right so I really want to get an idea of what I can expect. Is it something I can do some reading and research on and be able to get a friend or two to help me do it, or should I just leave it up to a professional?

Matt L.
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
If I recall properly it is a velvet drive 1.5:1 transmission. Again, he can't prove squat about that drive train so the assumption is that it is just a core for rebuilding.

milkmania
07-11-2012, 12:11 AM
:D

PS hows all of the acrylic parts. Remember, there are no factory parts available for this boat. Things that are 240 specific are going to be exceedingly tough to find!

Later,

Matt

good looking bote, got any more pics?

rkhodges21
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Ok. I finally got a good chance to post some pics of this boat. Here are some pics of the exterior.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/5N75E95M73F43Fd3F2c726a58a2369a2a108d.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/5K55M95Je3m13Ld3Lfc72fc3f17ca82e112e5.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/ResizedImage951341950587074.jpg

Some pics of the upholstery

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/ResizedImage951341950658757.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/ResizedImage951341950607186.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/ResizedImage951341950405608.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/2012-06-209511-00-0495899.jpg

The cuddy does seem ok other than needing some cleaning

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/2012-06-199510-34-4995467.jpg

And the motor and tranny...

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/2012-06-209511-11-019531.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/rkhodges21/ResizedImage951341955683996.jpg

What do you guys think?

scott023
07-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I think you should look elsewhere. :twocents:

aquaman
07-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I think you should look elsewhere. :twocents:

i think you should elsewhere......now..... and dont look back. :)

soacj
07-11-2012, 07:57 PM
He said that when the cover to the boat got ripped and he never replaced it, he decided that he didn't want the engine and tranny deteriorating in the boat so he pulled them and stored them under his carport.

Seems reasonable:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, if you can get this thing extremely cheap, are truly prepared to replace the motor, and LOVES you some project, go for it!:D

Jay

rkhodges21
07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
The guy is wanting $3500 for the boat so me making an offer of $500 would prolly just piss him off anyways. Also, my wife doesn't like the idea of me spending money on a boat that would probably tie up lots of money and time , not to mention that I have never done a resto of any kind, so you guys are right, I should turn away from this deal, save up my money, and find a boat that will be ready for me and my family to have fun on as soon as we buy it.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

mzimme
07-11-2012, 09:10 PM
3500?? HAHAHAHA

Yeah, just tell him "Thanks for your time"

psychobilly
07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
3500 is WAY TOO MUCH!

If you could get it for nothing...... Walk away dude.

Matt L.
07-12-2012, 02:26 AM
3500 is WAY TOO MUCH!

If you could get it for nothing...... Walk away dude.

Sadly, I have to agree.

240SC is an awesome boat, but that would be a lot of $$$s and time to get it on the water!

Good Luck!

Matt

kal_dude
07-12-2012, 02:12 PM
$3500 .... is that how much he spent on crack while coming up with that selling price???? he must really NOT want to sell that boat then ;(.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2012, 02:29 PM
$3500 .... is that how much he spent on crack while coming up with that selling price???? he must really NOT want to sell that boat then ;(.

Crack don't smoke itself.

Gavin Beach
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Hello,
I live in the UNITED kINGDOM and have been looking for one of these boats for months. They are very rare over here. If your not interested in the boat, could you tell me where you saw the boat advertised.

Regards

GaV

scott023
07-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Hello,
I live in the UNITED kINGDOM and have been looking for one of these boats for months. They are very rare over here. If your not interested in the boat, could you tell me where you saw the boat advertised.

Regards

GaV

Really??? That boat is a piece, at best. There are lots of boats out there, why settle for someone elses rubbish?

Thrall
07-13-2012, 08:23 PM
3500?? HAHAHAHA

Yeah, just tell him "Thanks for your time"

Ha, I 'd tell him more than that just for wasteing my time!
Remember this is the same clown that "pulled the drivetrain out of the boat because the cover got ripped and didnt want the engine to rust.":rolleyes:

This guy is a POS and so is his boat!

rkhodges21
07-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Hello,

Regards

GaV

if you are interested, click the link below, but this boat would not be worth your time to get it to the UK. I have seen a few of these in new jersey and california that appear to be in good shape. I say you should look at them. But here is the link to this boat

http://bham.craigslist.org/boa/3115308890.html

Gavin Beach
07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll give him a call. You might think I'm nuts but these boats are selling for $20000 for a nice one over here. That's if you can find one.

Gav

rkhodges21
07-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll give him a call. You might think I'm nuts but these boats are selling for $20000 for a nice one over here. That's if you can find one.

Gav

Well I don't know if you are looking for the 240 SC or if you would go for a 240 open bow but there are about 3 open bows in Jersey and all of them have the original 454 and a couple of them have a tower and they are priced at about $8k. If you bought this boat you would need to basically spend that much to get it back in good shape, and I am almost sure this guy is not going to sell it as cheap as it should be sold. Believe me I would love to have a boat like this, and if he hadn't pulled the motor and tranny out of it I may have gone ahead and bought it, but I am really worried about dealing with this guy because I am thinking he is kind of a nutcase. Save yourself a headache and look elsewhere.

Gavin Beach
07-15-2012, 05:50 PM
It is an SC I am looking for. My little girl comes skiing with me and it is often cold on the lake. A little cabin will be ideal for her. Thanks for the advise, I'll give him a call, if he seems like a head case, I won't bother with it. I think my biggest problem would be getting it to the coast and on a ship bound for the UK.

Shane21
07-16-2012, 09:52 AM
I bought a 240SC back in 2007. It had gel coat problems and the upholstery wasn't great. Trailer was fine, but not emmaculate. I paid $12,000 for it. Mainly because the engine and drive train were perfect and still are. After sitting up all winter, she still cranks with the first touch of the key. And runs like a top. Now, having said that....I have sunk some money into the cosmetics. Spent about $5k completely repainting it. I'm about to re-upholster (which i'm seeing from about is about $3500).

I bought it originally because I had small kids and the cabin helped them through the day. Now that they are older, we have been considering getting rid of it for an open bow, but I just haven't been able to do it. I really love this boat and she is quite rare. Wife and kids have been hitting me up to get a new X-55, but after I priced one, I'm not so sure .... :confused:

rkhodges21
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I bought a 240SC back in 2007. It had gel coat problems and the upholstery wasn't great. Trailer was fine, but not emmaculate. I paid $12,000 for it. Mainly because the engine and drive train were perfect and still are. After sitting up all winter, she still cranks with the first touch of the key. And runs like a top. Now, having said that....I have sunk some money into the cosmetics. Spent about $5k completely repainting it. I'm about to re-upholster (which i'm seeing from about is about $3500).

I bought it originally because I had small kids and the cabin helped them through the day. Now that they are older, we have been considering getting rid of it for an open bow, but I just haven't been able to do it. I really love this boat and she is quite rare. Wife and kids have been hitting me up to get a new X-55, but after I priced one, I'm not so sure .... :confused:

That thing looks great. If I were to buy the boat in question, (which I am not) I would like to have it regeled/painted. I would want to go with a 2009 MCesque flake finish. Holy cow though, $5K is a good bit of money. That makes me even more happy that I am walking away from this deal. Even if I could get this boat for nothing, I would be putting about 9 grand in purely cosemetics, not to mention the fact that I would still have to put the engine and tranny back in the boat, and I am willing to bet I would have to tear that engine down and do some work to it to get it running. So I would probably wind up with 12-15k in the boat, and it would then probably be worth about $8k with my luck.

You guys bring up a good point about small kids. I have an 8 month old. We went out on a friend's 29' Sea Ray cuddy, and when she got sleepy, we put her down in the air conditioned cuddy and let her get her nap out. If I could come across a good deal on an SC, I could probably talk my wife into it, that is if we had the money to afford it.

All in all guys, thanks for all the insight you guys have given me. I really think I will be a better first-time fiberglass boat buyer as a result of this thread.

keith3613
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I just found a replacement Rack-and-Post Assembly w/ Poly Wheel and Caster Bracket for a Fulton model 650 tongue jack. This is the tongue jack that came with my 1984 MasterCraft boat trailer. A representative from Bulldog Jacks told me it would fit and he was right. The jack and wheel actually worked better than the original. The service from etrailer.com was fast and I would highly recommend them. Note, this is not the entire jack, just the Rack-and-Post Assembly w/ Poly Wheel that wears out over time. The Model # is BD018308 “Bulldog Rack-and-Post Assembly w/ Poly Wheel and Caster Bracket for Rack-and-Gear Jack - 21" and can be found at etrailer.com. The link is http://www.etrailer.com/p-BD018308.html.

SilviaMan
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
It is an SC I am looking for. My little girl comes skiing with me and it is often cold on the lake. A little cabin will be ideal for her. Thanks for the advise, I'll give him a call, if he seems like a head case, I won't bother with it. I think my biggest problem would be getting it to the coast and on a ship bound for the UK.

If your serious on this boat I can get you in touch with someone that could move that boat for you.
email me if your interested: tc@auto-smith.com

rkhodges21
07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
BTW, 240SC owners, this boat doesn't have a generator does it? Is the cuddy climate controlled? Does it have a plug for docking power to the cuddy? Never even thought to ask the seller that.

Shane21
07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
No. There is lighting only. I have a small fan that plugs into the 12vDC outlet. And really there's no where that I belive you could even put one. I barely had room for the amplifier for the stereo.

In fact the small sink is self contained. It has two bladders: one for the fresh water and one for the drain. I've since purchased a small porta-potty that I store under the middle cushion (but we only use it in "emergencies")

02ProstarSammyD
07-16-2012, 04:00 PM
(but we only use it in "emergencies")

aqua deucing not acceptable?

Shane21
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full!!!

mzimme
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
No. There is lighting only. I have a small fan that plugs into the 12vDC outlet. And really there's no where that I belive you could even put one. I barely had room for the amplifier for the stereo.

In fact the small sink is self contained. It has two bladders: one for the fresh water and one for the drain. I've since purchased a small porta-potty that I store under the middle cushion (but we only use it in "emergencies")

You know, I was just browsing craigslist and saw an air conditioning unit that fits into any 12x12" hatch for boats. Guy was asking something like $400 bucks for it. If you're interested in that at all, you might check out kansascity.craigslist.org in the boat section.

Gavin Beach
07-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Yes, I'm serious. These boats are so hard to get hold of here in the UK. I emailed the seller today but have'nt has a reply yet. I also phoned a shipping company today but they wanted an arm and a leg to move it. I'll see if he sends me a reply over the next day or two. I'll let you know of any progress.

Gav

mzimme
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Gav, I hope you didn't preface your email in a way such as:

"I'm interested, but am overseas and need a shipper to send it to me."

That screams SCAM to us here when we get responses like that on craigslist. You might want to direct him towards this thread so he can see you're serious. It also might give him a reality check on his price...

rkhodges21
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, I'm serious. These boats are so hard to get hold of here in the UK. I emailed the seller today but have'nt has a reply yet. I also phoned a shipping company today but they wanted an arm and a leg to move it. I'll see if he sends me a reply over the next day or two. I'll let you know of any progress.

Gav

This guy doesn't answer emails. You will have to call him. If you can't find someone to move the boat to the coast to get loaded onto a ship, let me know and I can get an estimate for me to tow it for you. I've been looking for a good reason to drive to the coast.

Gavin Beach
07-17-2012, 08:41 AM
This guy doesn't answer emails. You will have to call him. If you can't find someone to move the boat to the coast to get loaded onto a ship, let me know and I can get an estimate for me to tow it for you. I've been looking for a good reason to drive to the coast.
Your right, he hasn't answered my email. I will give him a call. It's a very kind offer to tow it to the coast. Is it a long way? Across here your'e never very far from the coast, we're a small Island.

Gavin Beach
07-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Gav, I hope you didn't preface your email in a way such as:

"I'm interested, but am overseas and need a shipper to send it to me."

That screams SCAM to us here when we get responses like that on craigslist. You might want to direct him towards this thread so he can see you're serious. It also might give him a reality check on his price...
Yes it did read a bit like that come to think of it!

rkhodges21
07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Your right, he hasn't answered my email. I will give him a call. It's a very kind offer to tow it to the coast. Is it a long way? Across here your'e never very far from the coast, we're a small Island.

It depends on which coast you would have it shipped from. The boat is is in Cullman, AL which is about 3 hours South of me, and Mobile, AL about 4 more hours South of that. If you were gonna have it shipped from the east coast, I guess I could do it as well, but somewhere like Jacksonville, FL is about 7 to 8 hours from the boat location. I like to drive though, so I would like a little weekend trip to Mobile or Pensacola, FL, especially if I could do someone a favor. I would just ask for some fuel cost reimbursement.

rkhodges21
07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Yes it did read a bit like that come to think of it!

I get a feeling that he doesn't really have much access to the net. I was actually wondering if he may be on here, but after talking to him, I seriously doubt it. If he knew about this forum, he probably wouldn't be asking for so much; he would have a better idea of the value of his boat in its current state.

johnlanguab
07-17-2012, 01:34 PM
I live about 20 minutes from this guy. Let me know if I can help.

Gavin Beach
07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
It depends on which coast you would have it shipped from. The boat is is in Cullman, AL which is about 3 hours South of me, and Mobile, AL about 4 more hours South of that. If you were gonna have it shipped from the east coast, I guess I could do it as well, but somewhere like Jacksonville, FL is about 7 to 8 hours from the boat location. I like to drive though, so I would like a little weekend trip to Mobile or Pensacola, FL, especially if I could do someone a favor. I would just ask for some fuel cost reimbursement.
Well guys, I can't believe all the kind offers you have extended a complete stranger from another country. However I have been too slow this time and our none email using friend has sold his boat. As I have said previously these boats are like hens teeth over here. If you come across any for sale please let me know. I know beggars can't be choosers but I would prefere the big block engine. Its a big boat for a 351. Condition is not a problem, damage or blown engines, we have the facility to fix it.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !

Gav

Gavin Beach
07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks John but he has sold it

Gav

Gavin Beach
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh if any of you do come across a 240sc my email is gavin.beach@alexander-dennis.com

rkhodges21
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks John but he has sold it

Gav

Whoa! He sold it? I wonder how much he got for it.

johnlanguab
07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I'd like to know how much he got for it too.

Shane21
07-18-2012, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't mind letting mine go some day to replace it with an open bow, but as much blood, sweat, tears, and $$$ I've put in it....I couldn't go for less than $20k. That probably blows the market away.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't mind letting mine go some day to replace it with an open bow, but as much blood, sweat, tears, and $$$ I've put in it....I couldn't go for less than $20k. That probably blows the market away.

Unfortunately, most other people don't put the same dollar figure on blood, sweat and tears that we do.

rkhodges21
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM

I saw an open bow in GREAT shape on onlyinboards and they were asking $24k. I was thinking this seller is either crazy or wanting to take advantage of someone.

I almost feel bad for whoever bought the boat that I posted on here if they paid anywhere near the $3500 that this guy was wanting. I figure someone had to have paid at least $2k for this guy to let the boat go.

I hope whoever bought is or will be a member of this site so I can possibly get to see the restoration that they do to it. Plus I am really curious to see how much they paid for it. With a $3500 asking price I was almost certain this boat would be on the market for awhile.

Shane21
07-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately, most other people don't put the same dollar figure on blood, sweat and tears that we do.

Sadly enough, you are correct...But you know what, then I'll just keep her and ski every weekend. Win-Win situation for me. :)

rkhodges21
07-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Sadly enough, you are correct...But you know what, then I'll just keep her and ski every weekend. Win-Win situation for me. :)

How much would you ask for the beast if you wanted to sell her?

Shane21
07-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Right now $20k....After a few years, when some of this depreciates a little....maybe $12-$15k